The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: Sounds of Gaffed Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
funsway
View Profile
Eternal Order
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
10001 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have explored the use of sound as a method of inferential enforcement or misdirection for about six decades. It can be a valuable tool or source of problems. There is always a choice.
I even have a "Coins Across" routine in which I move the sound first and the coins follow. This used to work well. Today's audience seems more deaf or will often not provide the essential focused attention. Sigh!

Thus, if you desire to have sound an important element in the routine, a number of ploys and moves can be employed to overcome any difficulties, or build upon the unique sounds.

If you feel that sound might be a distracting or destructive factor, then certain ploys and moves can be employed to minimize the concerns.

However, this concern is more a magician's fantasy than any spectator based reality. Your objective should be what the observer remembers rather than what they hear or suspect or appreciate.
You can train the observer to notice sound or ignore it. You can make the "moment of magic" so powerful nothing else matters.

I am suggesting that if your effect is destroyed by a distinction of clink between a couple of coins there is something wrong with what you are doing in the "must be magic" artistry. (opinion)
If you are only juggling coins, of course, this sound may be critical.

For example - when handling invisible coins, do they make a sound or is the sound only a function of their visibility? What does a lay observer think on this subject?
They will believe exactly what you tell them the property of invisible coins is. You are the experienced expert, right?

"When this silver dollar travels magically to my other hand it actually becomes invisible first. It then has less mass and is easier to transport. It also may not ring as loudly and seem cold to the touch."

or some such instructions.

When I was creating effects for the TUC I wrote about the sound concern and offered suggestions for faking the sound as part of the instructions. Since then I have shifted to thinking it does not matter much.

If you believe this variance in sound makes a difference, then do not do such effects. Your doubt will be infectious.

If you "know" that this sound variance is minimal compared with the power of the effect (magic-wise), then that understanding will be infectious too.

Magic occurs within the mind of the observer and is only kindled or guided by the performer. Think of magic and not skill demonstration and the problem fades away.

Many might disagree, of course - so try your favorite trick with stones instead of coins. When a white and back stone switch places in the hands of spectators I doubt anyone will say, "They sound different."

With coins, they will only be concerned about the sound if you make/allow them to be concerned over the sound. Left to themselves it is 'non-starter."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Inviso
Wow, Funsway, you always have an insightful perspective on matters of magic. To me, this could be your most insightful observation yet. I think this is something all coin workers should read and consider and it probably applies to magic in general. Even if one doesn't fully agree with your experienced observations it provides a perspective to reinforce the idea of powerful magic. As, an amateur, one of the biggest apprehensions is, of course, being caught out. This possibility always exists with poor handling but following your line of thought, a well designed performance explains away or negates any concern of those small "tells" that we fear the audience focus on.

Thank you,
Randy
Danwseers
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Danwseers
While I understand your point, it is worthwhile if given the choice to select options which further the "realism."

I believe it was on one of David Williamson's earlier tapes that he discussed belief vs. conviction. Williamson said something such as, "The difference between belief and conviction is the audience will believe you in as far as they will go along with it. A conviction is they are convinced something is some way." The observation I was offering, for me, falls into the conviction or subtlety realm.

Consider Charlie Justice's pursubtlety (sp?). Some people will never see the display he creates, some will see it and not be moved, but some will see it and intuit its implications become convinced of the empty purse. The latter will be devastated by their convictions derived from such an insignificant detail.

It is probably equally worthwhile to say no one, save children, believe what we perform is "magic." At best they are puzzles for them to figure out or brief diversions for entertainment. Conviction becomes paramount when viewed though this lens. So at the end of the day, who are you doing it for? I humbly submit you are not doing it for those that the subtlety is lost upon.

Paint by number may be art, but it is neither elegant nor refined.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1431 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks funsway. very good insights. I would add. if you are a coin guy you have the ability to diminish the sounds so that they are not important to the spectator. so an obsession with this shows a lack of sufficient and moderate skill, or else just focusing on one part of the performance that is not important to the spectator.