The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Trick coin trickery :: A "fix" for Double Faced Super Triple Coin (Teflon Tape seekers please read) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
johnboy
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of johnboy
Grateful thanks to all who contributed to this ` problem` I found it impossible to get the teflon tape recommended, in the UK. and used the mobile phone protectors to cover and protect your I phone or whatever screen. This is working beautifully for me ! and without this information I would probably have sold the outfit. Thank you all for your help. and God bless the Magic Café !
Mike Heitkamper
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of Mike Heitkamper
I have ordered the Teflon tape, but I am curious to hear from those of you who have been using it for awhile. Does it stay clear, or does it yellow over time. How is it holding up?
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3353 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Tape holds up well and does not dis color- as of yet which is never seen anyway.
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
589 Posts

Profile of Motor City
Ditto...Holding up well with no discoloration. Smile
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Just after getting a double faced super triple coin and for the life of me I cannot separate the coins! I'm here in the UK and have searched for teflon tape and cannot find anything.
Has anyone from the UK found an alternative to teflon tape?

Kieran
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3353 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Use a tiny dab of Vaseline until you find the tape.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2020, magicman29 wrote:
Just after getting a double faced super triple coin and for the life of me I cannot separate the coins! I'm here in the UK and have searched for teflon tape and cannot find anything.
Has anyone from the UK found an alternative to teflon tape?

Kieran

Clear packaging tape will work as a temporary fix until you get the optically clear teflon tape. Here is a link for the good stuff. The 1.5" x 5 yd is good for most. I believe I have the 2" x 5 yd to be sure (I also use it on poker chips). I originally used the 1/2 or 3/4" and just ran a nice seam on the coin that never hung up or showed where a spec would notice. Since I got the larger roll, I put it on any "sliding coins" as well as inside my "turtles" to quiet them down.
https://catalog.cshyde.com/viewitems/tap......tfe-tape
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
It warms my magical heart to see, even after seven years, that my suggestion on the tape is still helping folks.

Magicians helping magicians.

Now, can someone tell me how to make this virus disappear?
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Thanks for the recommendations, funnily enough the more I play around with it the easier it is to separate them.

Kieran
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GJo
What's the thickness of teflon tape sold for coins?

Copeland uses kapton tape. There are several thicknesses of kapton tape available on Amazon, and I'm considering trying some, hence my question about teflon disc thickness.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1827 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I would get the thinnest you can find.
That said, I think it also very much depends on what you're doing with it.
Are you going to use it for Double Faced coins? Kapton tap doesn't seem to be clear, so that won't work so well. But I imagine you've likely considered that already.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1827 Posts

There's no "standard thickness" that's used "for coins", and most magic shops don't list it when they sell disks.
It's also ambiguous whether you're asking whether that thickness includes just the teflon, or also the adhesive, because at these thicknesses, it's a nontrivial amount, and often both are listed on specs for the tape.

If you look through the optically clear tape ... as recommended in this thread - most of them are 2 mils, with an extra mil for adhesive. A few spike up to 5 mils - then with 2 more for adhesive.
Checking a few spare disks I have, I also come up with 3 mils, so I'd suggest going with that.

But, as I said, thinner is better for this type of application. It's also the case that thinner is cheaper (https://www.caplinq.com/blog/how-thick-is-polyimide-tape_32/ quote: "Of course, the thicker the polyimide film used, the more expensive the tape too.")

Hence why I said "go with the thinnest you can find".
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GJo
When I asked about teflon disc thickness used for coins, I assumed (my mistake) that most here would conclude I was referencing adhesive backed teflon discs commonly sold by Tannen's, Tango and others.

I also assumed (again my mistake) that most here would conclude I was referencing teflon material plus adhesive. If magic suppliers sell teflon discs for coins that are not adhesive backed, then I am unaware of those.

I suppose I should have also specified teflon disc thickness (teflon plus adhesive) *not* including its protective plastic backing material, but that specificity seemed unnecessary.

In my research, I have concluded that 3 mil is the likeliest thickness of teflon discs used in coins (teflon plus adhesive minus plastic backing, as sold by Tannen's, Tango and others).

If anyone here knows the actual thickness, please contact me via PM.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1827 Posts

I tried to send you a PM, but it seems they might be disabled at the moment.

I understand what you're referring to.
Unless you're specifically referring to the disks made by Tango (which I don't have, so can't measure), it seems like a bit of a leap to assume that all dealers would use the same thickness of Teflon. Likely, but not at all certain.

The ones I _do_ have - that I measured to check, were 3 mil, as I mentioned. I forget the seller, but since the look rough cut rather than laser, it's probably not Tango.

I called out the multiple dimensions since it came up when I was doing my research as well. The only dealer I saw just said 0.003 inch, so it was ambiguous - at least to me - if they were referring to total or Teflon thickness.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
I use regular invisible tape and it works fine.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2023, GJo wrote:
What's the thickness of teflon tape sold for coins?

Copeland uses kapton tape. There are several thicknesses of kapton tape available on Amazon, and I'm considering trying some, hence my question about teflon disc thickness.

Copeland informs me they use 1mm kapton tape.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2365 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, GJo wrote:

1mm is awfully thick.
Did you mean 1mil?

Is it clear?
If not it wouldn't work well with a DFSTC as it would obscure the coin stickers.
GJo
View Profile
Loyal user
284 Posts

Profile of GJo
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2023, GJo wrote:

1mm is awfully thick.
Did you mean 1mil?

Is it clear?
If not it wouldn't work well with a DFSTC as it would obscure the coin stickers.

The reply I received from Copeland was 1mm, but I suspect they meant 1 mil, and in my 5am fog I blindly repeated the 1mm spec.

It’s amber. I’m considering using it in a turtle instead of a Teflon tape disc (because the kapton is thinner).
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1827 Posts

But that's the thing. Most manufacturers seem to be labeling them by film thickness and not total thickness.
capinq.com has a nice breakdown that I linked before. ( https://www.caplinq.com/blog/how-thick-is-polyimide-tape_32/ )

Their so-called "1 mil" tape is actually 1 mil of Kapton, and 1-1.5 mil of adhesive, for a total of 2-2.5 mil. The 1 mil adhesive is their "thin adhesive" model ( https://www.caplinq.com/1-mil-polyimide-......-rl.html )

Their standard 0.5 mil tape ( https://www.caplinq.com/index.php?option......t_id=202 ) also comes with 1 mil of adhesive, so becomes 1.5 total.
I was able to find one with 0.5 mil adhesive, but it's significantly more expensive: https://www.caplinq.com/0.5-mil-polyimid......-rl.html and I'm not sure why - I wouldn't expect a release liner to cost so much more than the Kapton itself.
Maybe I missed something in my search.

I guess it's possible that these measurements are different between the sellers, but that seems like it would be pretty disastrous if you bought 1 mil tape from one place and it was total thickness, and from another place it only counted the film.

Either way it's unclear (at least to me) which of the many tapes Copeland uses - certainly which adhesive thickness if they didn't specify. But even before that whether it's the "1 mil total" (but labeled as 0.5 mil ultra thin) or the one actually labeled as "1 mil".
If it's not the thin or ultra thin 1 mil Kapton tape, then it's likely 2.5 mil, which is not so far off from the 3 mils we discussed originally.

But if you get the 0.5 mil Ultra Thin, do let us know what you think of it!
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2365 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 25, 2023, GJo wrote:

Nowhere above (or in any subsequent post) did I ask for a comparison, nor did I state I wanted thinner.

If I'm reading this right, you're taking Tons to task for not staying on topic specifically w/respect to asking about tape thickness.

But the original post is about tape used for super triple coins, and you've derailed it to discuss tape for inside of shells, to the point of including Kapton tape which is unsuitable for STCs as it's not clear.

I guess that makes you guys even. Smile