The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Device for Tommy Wonder's Wild Card (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ClementLousy
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of ClementLousy
I've put together the cards required to learn Tommy Wonders Wild Card...or Tamed Card I think it's called. In his Visions of Wonder videos he uses a strange premise of having an alarm go off and announcing that this alarm is a reminder to start his hobby....then he goes on with the trick. In the Video he shows this contraption he has made with a big battery that makes an alarm sound when you push a button. I don't know how to make that and surely there must be something out there in the world that I could buy that does the same thing...any ideas?

That's my question...I realise I could easily make my phone do this, but doing that in front of the audience is obviously not really in keeping with the story of an unexpected alarm, and setting it to go off in five minutes isn't really workable either.

I have found plenty of fart makers so far...that wont do
raether
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
94 Posts

Profile of raether
My solution is to set a timer on my iphone, reaching into my close-up case, when I am ready to do the routine. The timer triggers an alert on my iWatch. You can easily go into the same routine. I do not see anything wrong with your phone itself going off with an alarm. It is common place today to set an alarm on your phone.
Helmut Raether
ClementLousy
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of ClementLousy
Thanks, I guess I can see that the phone is a workable solution. I don't mind it being my phone that goes off. It's more that I'd like to be able to control exactly when it goes off by pushing a button in my pocket rather than having to wait until a timer has elapsed, that way I can time the interruption humourously mid sentence or mid someone else talkin...But you know...I shouldn't complain...I bet if Tommy Wonder was still around he'd be using the phone.

I think this idea of "it's time for my hobby" is the best justification I know of for doing a packet trick, it's so clever. It completely makes sense you'd have some small stock of cards in a little wallet for your weird hobby...and at the same time, the premise is ridiculous and amusing. Maybe it's the magician in me, but normally, pulling out a little wallet and doing a trick with no justificationjust screams special cards
ClementLousy
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of ClementLousy
I'm also putting together the props from the same video series where he threads a needle with loads of thread, not sure if you know it. I watched those Visions of Wonder videos 15 years ago and dismissed them as boring and out of date....Funny how you grow as a magician
raether
View Profile
New user
Shorewood, IL
94 Posts

Profile of raether
I don't know the other thread and needle routine. I will have to check it out. I think setting a timer for X seconds on your phone allows you to control when the alarm happens. Having some rehearsed patter between the timer start and the timer going off give you perfect control to start your routine. I believe the original alarm device also had a built-in delay.
Helmut Raether
Zuzyak
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Zuzyak
I also wanted to collect similar props, but because I forgot about this idea, I should remember
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Maybe this? https://apps.apple.com/us/app/annoying-s......30784271

How about a wireless doorbell?

I agree with Raether too about the phone. It's common place today.

Also, even if the beeper doesn't go off at exactly the right time you want, you can still give the excuse of "Oh that's my timer" specs are thinking for what? And then you can explain a minute later or whenever the time is right. Smile

This looks fun too! https://www.myinstants.com/instant/buzzer-89244/
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Card-Shark carries the authorized version of Tamed Cards (bought the rights). It is the same card combos that Tommy used and a very comprehensive set. https://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page......rtID=241
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
mantel
View Profile
Special user
927 Posts

Profile of mantel
Would something like a programmable easy button work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Cover-Recording-Ke......DJ7&th=1
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1916 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Raether pretty much nailed it. I have done this and it works perfectly.