The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Pass or half-pass for small packet? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

Does anyone know of an easy-ish method to do what I described in my subject line? I ask partly because I love packet tricks, and partly because, for some reason, I sometimes seem to learn packet sleights more quickly than full-deck ones. So perhaps a small packet pass would be a good step toward learning a full-deck one. Also a small-packet pass could (I assume) be used as a color change, something I need for a trick I want to learn. The packet color changes I know of are either noisy or too hard for me.

I did a search and didn't find anything, but it's easy to miss things.

Thanks,

Bob
mantel
View Profile
Special user
927 Posts

Profile of mantel
Pugh's Pass, which is performed by Ray Kosby during "Quick 3 way" on issue 31 of Reel Magic
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
You may want to look into Lee Asher's Asher Twist. The linked video teaches an entire trick, but the move involved sounds like part of what you're looking for.

https://www.leeasher.com/store/asher-twi......rial.php
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, mantel and Sean. I'll look into these.

Bob
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3561 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Sean, thanks for the link.
I see some other items in the store that are intriguing and tempting too... and I am trying to save $. Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I'm with you, Wravyn. Naturally I appreciate people's suggestions, but I'm always hoping that they happen to mention something that I already own!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27309 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Bob Farmer has a couple of sleights that may serve your needs. The first appears to be turning over the packet. The second appears to be a twisting action of the packet. These are, in order, Turnantula and Squist.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks so much, Jon. I always appreciate hearing your ideas. Do you know how hard these sleights are? I seem to learn so slowly... I have one full-deck DL that's in pretty good shape, and my EC is close to being performance-ready (though today I was all thumbs again -- hopefully that won't persist). That's just to give you an idea of where I (still) am.

Bob
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
Hello all,
I too have my eye on Turnantula. I too am curious on how others would rate the difficulty of the sleight. I can do the standard packet counts: EC, JC, Omega, if you want to use them as a comparison scale for difficulty.
Thanks for any input!

Phil
johnmelanson
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of johnmelanson
Phil-
I just bought Tunantula, it's very easy to do to a base level, it's devilishly hard to get the move to look like the videos.
I would love some performance videos if anybody knows of some.
For the number of hours you'll practice it, $20 turns out to be less than $1/hr

John