The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Royal Scam (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Does anyone use this effect in a busking act on the street? How does it play with the audience?
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2370 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I don't know about busking, but it's one of my current favorites.
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
Royal Scam kills every time, anywhere and no matter who you do it for! The cards going face-up, face-down, face-up, ... is good already, but the double reveal at the end hits everybody hard. And the fact that end clean is certainly a big bonus, because people want to see the cards afterwards. Whether it's appropriate for a busking act is simply a matter of how many people you can get close enough to for them to see the cards. I do it on a regular basis behind my own table at fairs and country fetes.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Thanks guys,

I only plan on doing small busking shows. 10-12 mins, wash, rinse, repeat.

I really do like Royal Scam - I have a feeling it will kill. I still need another couple of weeks of strong practice firstly. I'm comfortable with routine and patter - but still making the occasional mistake.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Not familiar with this effect. Could someone please reference? Thanks.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2015, Atom3339 wrote:
Not familiar with this effect. Could someone please reference? Thanks.

I took the liberty of entering "Royal Scam Bannon" into the search field at Youtube for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUWOugQxj4Q
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Thank you, Karsten! It IS nice.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1093 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
First packet trick I've bought in many years. Very nice.
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Not sure where / for how large an audience you're planning on busking, but I wouldn't have thought this was a good choice.
It's an effect where cards need to be laid on a table - meaning that
a) Some viewers may not get a good sight of them
b) and gusts of wind are liable to blow then away

Also, you want your effects as simple to follow as possible, while I like royal scam, I wouldn't say it fits that criteria. Better keep it for a more intimate (and quiet) venue IMHO.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3089 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I'm no Busker but agree with WilburrUK. This is one of my favorite tricks but I think what he pointed out makes it less than ideal for busking
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Cool. I think I'll listen to Wilburrs recommendation - but I'll keep it close by, for the right moment.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
294 Posts

Profile of terrillific
I love doing Royal Scam. It’s a trick I love performing. It plays strong.
iccemann101
View Profile
New user
Dark Side of the Moon
50 Posts

Profile of iccemann101
Royal Scam is a great trick. I agree that I'm not sure it would be good for busking. Besides the table issue there is wind and other factors that happen on the street that would make it hard. I would like to know if anyone does it on the street.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
A rubber band around your table top lets you stick the cards underneath so they don't blow away. Coins and cups are good for putting on top of cards so they don't suddenly disappear too.
MikeBeaudet
View Profile
Loyal user
Becancour
228 Posts

Profile of MikeBeaudet
My take of Royal Scam...my first video of a card trick!

https://youtu.be/pdVzt2XxB7I
Do your best and forget the rest
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2370 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2015, ThePhoenix wrote:
My take of Royal Scam...my first video of a card trick!

https://youtu.be/pdVzt2XxB7I

Nice. I like your out of order Elmsleys - the way the cards spread to show a lot of "backs", but your Hamman count at the beginning needs a little work -- there's a gap between the two packets that make it fairly clear you're swapping them. Angling the front of the cards down a bit can help mask that, as can having your right hand a bit less open and covering more of the front edge of the cards. On a more subtle note, the pace of the count isn't even. Just a slight delay at the point of the dirty work, and then (as if you're relieved it's over with), you pick up speed on the last few cards. That might telegraph or give a feeling that "something" happened.

No comments on the patter, as I don't speak French. Smile
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
Quote:
On Jan 9, 2015, SugarRayRick wrote:
Does anyone use this effect in a busking act on the street? How does it play with the audience?

I've tried this a few times, but I just can't get comfortable with it. My counts are good,I can play fast or slow, but ojust can't quite enjoy this one.
AndreaMooreMagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of AndreaMooreMagic
There is a nice effect in the end, but the build up is so slow. I'm not sure that most will consider this entertaining.
FelixKraus
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of FelixKraus
For busking, I think you need tricks that's more energetic. And the key is getting people to tip... I tried it a couple times. That's the most challenging part.
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
I think it depends on your performance style,
I actually saw this effect from a busker in the middle of his strolling/busking act.
It looks very good ,kept me hooked, great trick.