The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Leprechans (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
I recently pullled out an old packet effect I purchased from Aldo Colombini involving a series of magical packet reversals and color changes using cards with leprechans and pots of gold on their faces. A friend watched me perform it and claimed that it resembles John Bannon's Royal Scam almost move for move...I purchased the leprechan trick back in the early nineties. I'm interested in purchasing Royal Scam to make the comparison for myself,but before doing so was wondering if anyone already owns both packet tricks and can comment on the similarities and differences of the moves and plot in these two effects.
Thanks.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
Aldo effect has been out for a long long time. It was on the market long before Bannon's Royal Scam. It may resemble it because many packet tricks use the same type of moves.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Thanks Motown...I was actually watching a demo of Bannons effect and it resembles the plot in the leprechaun trick but with aces of spades instead of leprechans and pots of gold instead of the royal flush. Great minds think alike!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I have both. Aldo's effect was based on Ronnay's Sympathetic Cards, John's was an outgrowth of Roy Walton's "Cascade" which used one packet and he'd been unaware of the other effects at the time. John's handling is better (in my opinion)but you cannot use it it for Leprechauns, the make up of the cards is wrong to do so. The "effect" is pretty much the same to lay people, kids may prefer Leprechauns which is always good around St. Patrick's Day. Roy Walton also had a two packet version in one of his books, and Jerry Griffin's "Queens Out Of Control" was another very similar idea.

Paul.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Wow, the Leprechaun trick brings back wonderful memories from my magical past; wish I still had it! Anyone know if it‘s available anywhere?
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I was watching an Aldo Columbini DVD a couple days ago, which I had purchased and sadly, had let it sit unwached for a long time. Now I am highly motivated to learn the effects on the DVD as I see what a truly tremendous magician he is and a fabulous entertainer! (As well as a gentleman)

The "Shenanigans" effect stood out as one I want to learn first because of the pure magic of the ending and the obvious audience appeal.

So I came to post here on the Café asking the same question: Where can this effect be purchased from??
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
We probably need to write Aldo at http://www.WildColombini.com.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
Aldo is one of my favorites. He put out do much great magic. He and Rachel are a dream to deal with.

As far as I know, Leprechauns is no longer available. I picked one up hear on the Café a few years ago.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Rocky
I know that the more sophisticated magicians would cringe if they witnessed someone pull out this effect,but lay audiences LOVE IT!
Those of you looking for it currently...I wish you luck in finding this gem.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
If we find it , it will be the pot of gold at the end of our rainbow.
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
One of my magician buddies does this trick ALL the time! ALWAYS a crowd pleaser. Maybe some enterprising Café member can re-create the gaffs and make them available once again; of course, with the origionator's blessing / approval.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
AKMan
View Profile
New user
Covington, WA
56 Posts

Profile of AKMan
This is a great packet trick that's not really a "card" trick. I wish it was available. I've searched high and low for it. Aldo should put it out again.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Aldo, if you're reading this!!!!
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I spoke with Aldo several years ago about the out of stock issue of this trick. He had plans at that time to reproduce it, however he has not. This is one of my favorites as well.

I hope if he does have some more made some day that he continues to print them on Bicycle stock, not that cheap card stock that many of his other themed packet tricks are printed on.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I emailed Aldo and Rachel directly. Will let you know their response.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Hello All,

My gracious friend Aldo Colombini answered my email immediately:

Tom,
I still receive many requests for that trick. I do not know when and if the trick will be available again. To print so many cards in full colors it is very expensive.....we'll see.
As of now, I do not have a single copy available, as a matter of fact, I printed a copy for me with with computer, not perfect, but pretty good anyway.
Ciao,
Aldo

My suggestion? Email Aldo with your sincere desire to purchase this effect.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-02-17 13:34, professorwhut wrote:
I spoke with Aldo several years ago about the out of stock issue of this trick. He had plans at that time to reproduce it, however he has not. This is one of my favorites as well.

I hope if he does have some more made some day that he continues to print them on Bicycle stock, not that cheap card stock that many of his other themed packet tricks are printed on.
would agree about using bicycle stock.
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6144 Posts

Profile of motown
Here's a source for making cards that another member told me about:
http://www.makeplayingcards.com/

Aldo teachs Shenanigans on Vol. 2 of his essentials DVDs. So, you could make up the needed cards.
– Karl Germain
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well, that settles it. Looks like the only viable option left will be to make our own. At this time in my life I don't even have a PC or a printer. But where there's a will, there's a way.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've found the right pictures on Google. Just need to find a printer.

As for the backs, I Googled origami foil paper. It is real shiny and ultra thin, so that should work great for the rainbow backs.

I'm on my way. St Patties day is just around the corner.