The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: NFW Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
293 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
I much more prefer the presentation of showing the four jokers face up instead of just saying there are four jokers and one is face down. Has anyone who has done the move suggested in the instructions find it convincing ? Is there a better method out there? The nature of the gaff seems to eliminate many smoother possibilities. Thanks
dendrake
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of dendrake
You could try the Duplicount by Gordon Bruce.
This is a little used move and it is incredibly deceptive. All four cards are shown to be the same in a very fair manner. The sleight relies on a smooth rhythm to be deceptive and the illusion created is very similar to Jean Pierre Valarino’s Rhumba Count.

Published in the Gordon Bruce issue of Pabular – Vol 5 Issue 5
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Flustration count works for me, followed by a reversal move like in Vernon's Twisting the Aces. PM me for detailed handling.
MerlH
View Profile
Loyal user
Carolina Shores, N.C.
272 Posts

Profile of MerlH
Yes, I do it as per instructions and I think it works well.
Merl Hamen Old dog-- New tricks
aussiemagik
View Profile
New user
Norfolk, VA
89 Posts

Profile of aussiemagik
I always say perform NFW by explaining there are four jokers, with a special move one turn face down. Then act as if I forgot to show all four beforehand and say something like, "Oh crap, I didn't show you all four face up, did I? That can't be that impressive, so let me turn another face down." Then continue on...
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
Got a question ?
BenGGie
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of BenGGie
I've always started with a DM count, what I don't like is the third "twist", I prefer to do Louis Simonoff's flippant move instead, using the same premise, so if they see it, it doesn't matter.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1710 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
This has been discussed before. My favourite solution to this problem is to add an extra Joker to the packet (see above link for more details). This allows you to show 5 face-up Jokers in a more relaxed manner and then hand one out to a spectator. Your helper can then wave the face-down Joker over the packet before you reveal each reversal.

However, there is nothing wrong with treating the first reversal as a joke. This lowers expectation, which makes the final kicker transformation more shocking.

Marty
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1710 Posts

Here's another useful thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=201&22

Marty
magicgoneviral
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of magicgoneviral
This has to be one of my favorite card tricks ever!
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:
On 2012-02-02 08:18, martyjacobs wrote:
Here's another useful thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=201&22

Marty

Thanks for the link. It helped me decide how I'm going to present this effect.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1783 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On 2012-02-01 22:32, BenGGie wrote:
I've always started with a DM count, what I don't like is the third "twist", I prefer to do Louis Simonoff's flippant move instead, using the same premise, so if they see it, it doesn't matter.

What's that move? I don't know it. Care to elaborate?
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1710 Posts

Ross, just PM'd you with details of those two moves.

Marty
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9539 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I agree upfront here that the move showing the 4 jokers works fine. That's the way I do it and there's never a problem. It takes all of about 5 seconds to go by and specs forget about it as soon as the cards start turning face down. Smile It's really no big deal to do it either way, either making the show of the 4 jokers using the count or by implying that you have 4 jokers and beginning by showing one joker already face down. It really doesn't bother specs either which way but I like doing the quick count as I like to put the visuality of 4 jokers a bit more solidly in their mind, plus I feel calm, cool and collected when I do it. Smile

Seriously, I think the count works to show the 4 jokers because it sets up a more comprehensive flow into the EC. If you imply 4 jokers, it seems somewhat a bit abrupt to just start with the EC, it's always been a bit awkward feeling to me. That said, it still works pretty fine that way as well. A matter of preference but the instructions with the effect are quite complete in the ways to start it. All the other counts and additions, etc., aren't really necessary unless you just got a thing for changing things or perhaps it truly makes you feel like you're doing the effect more effectively. Smile Beyond that, I'd say everything you need is right in that little package, just mix in the due diligence of practice and it will work just fine as is, either which way.

And as I've mentioned in other strings on this, I've rarely seen anyone do this effect any better than in this old video. The flow of movement in the handling is absolutely perfect and if you come to do it half as well as it is done here (and it's completely doable as that's about how I do it and I'm mostly a coin guy), then I doubt if you'd ever feel a need to change a thing. Smile It's hard to argue with perfection, unless you just like to argue...I'm just sayin'. Smile Just endeavor a little bit here and you'll get it, it's really not that hard. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMeuv2vpx7U
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile