The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Packet gambling tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
I am working on a routine and the highlight is a gambler vs gambler vs magician plot..(which was assigned to me)
I was just looking for packet tricks with a "gambling theme" that would suit the trick for my routine

its actually a certification exam in our magic community here in the Philippines.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
There are a lot of effects that would fit "gambling theme," even with "packet" attached. Three card monte would work, right? Any specific reason you want a packet effect and not one incorporating the whole deck?
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Exchange Poker by Nick Trost is an excellent effect. It can be found on Aldo Colombini's DVD "Impromtu Gambling Routines". Smile
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Haven't you asked this before as gambler vs. magician vs. gambler?

Now you want it as a packet trick?
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
What resources do you have available to you? Are you willing to buy any and all books recommended? What is your current skill level? All of this plays a part.

Your question is pretty wide open and has some obvious answers, so I think most are confused as to what you're actually looking for. So far we have that you need a gambling effect for some kind of exam. Can you give us any other details (like why you need a packet trick, what else is in your routine, etc.)? There's too much missing information to really specifically help you.
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 13:17, bblumen wrote:
Haven't you asked this before as gambler vs. magician vs. gambler?

Now you want it as a packet trick?

no, I was asking about the trick there, which I was able to reverse engineer.
I took Glenn Morphew's advice to go with "i like nice things" by Randy Wakeman
now I just need some tricks to incorporate with GvMvG for it to become a routine.

the max is 10 mins for my certif exam

I planned on using gambler vs mentalist vs magician as an opener, then do a packet trick (excuse for a deck switch)
then the main routine.

I was thinking of 3 card monte, but a fellow examiner has that in his routine already...so it'd be better to ask for some advice here since not a lot magicians in the Philippines ask for help here, let alone in our magic community.

will lookup exchange poker
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
You'll find some in Nick Trost's books.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Check out John Bannon's "Power of Poker".
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
Quote:
On 2011-07-20 13:25, Dr. JK wrote:
What resources do you have available to you? Are you willing to buy any and all books recommended? What is your current skill level? All of this plays a part.

Your question is pretty wide open and has some obvious answers, so I think most are confused as to what you're actually looking for. So far we have that you need a gambling effect for some kind of exam. Can you give us any other details (like why you need a packet trick, what else is in your routine, etc.)? There's too much missing information to really specifically help you.

unfortunately there are limited resources here in the Philippines, and the certif exam is less than a month away. so I might not be able to buy some books overseas since it would take time and the shipping fee is very much expensive.more expensive than the product itself.

I can say that I can perform tricks well, but I still consider myself a beginner.

I was assigned the gambler vs gambler vs magician and need to add some packet tricks to it. particularly for me to have an excuse for a deck switch.
a packet trick which may have a gambling theme which is a bit uncommon like the 3 card monte.

thanks
chris
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Check out Color Monte .... it has a gambling theme! Easy to learn, and simple plot with 3 cards!
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
Quote:
On 2011-07-21 00:57, lynnef wrote:
Check out Color Monte .... it has a gambling theme! Easy to learn, and simple plot with 3 cards!

nice... it seems like the "this and that" card trick:)
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1719 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Chris,

"This and That" is a variation of Jim Temple's "Color Monte", which is based on Bill Elliot's "Three Card Monkey Business" (Ibidem #16, 1959). The genesis of all of these tricks is Marlo's "Quick 3-Way" (Ibidem #15, 1958).

Marty
digiassn
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of digiassn
Gypsies Curse and possibly Heirloom might fit the bill. If you don't mind using a whole deck might be Dead Mans Hand out of John Hammans book.
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
I have a hard time recommending anything other than Bruce Cervon's "Dirty Deal"...he is sorely missed

Kelly
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 19:36, ugdini13 wrote:
I have a hard time recommending anything other than Bruce Cervon's "Dirty Deal"...he is sorely missed

Kelly

If you like Dirty Deal, see Scotty York's version of Derek Dingle's Poor Charlie.
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
Quote:
On 2011-07-25 08:23, martyjacobs wrote:
Chris,

"This and That" is a variation of Jim Temple's "Color Monte", which is based on Bill Elliot's "Three Card Monkey Business" (Ibidem #16, 1959). The genesis of all of these tricks is Marlo's "Quick 3-Way" (Ibidem #15, 1958).

Marty

thanks man...
after I'm done with my certif exam, ill lookup the previous versions:)

Quote:
On 2011-07-31 00:11, digiassn wrote:
Gypsies Curse and possibly Heirloom might fit the bill. If you don't mind using a whole deck might be Dead Mans Hand out of John Hammans book.

will look this up as well...sounds like a good trick,

[quote]On 2011-07-31 19:47, bblumen wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-07-31 19:36, ugdini13 wrote:

Kelly

and I didn't realize that there were a lot of gambling packet tricks...
I guess its research time after the certification exam:)

thanks guys...ill add these to my arsenal:)
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
One of the most classic gambling routines with a packet of cards is the ten card poker deal which has many variations.

Yours,

Jonathan
Gabz
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Gabz
If your willing to spend some money possibly a variation on Stand-up monte
by garrett thomas. Haven't got the trick yet but it looks awesome
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1783 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Color Monte, done well, is a classic for a reason! Any monte, in fact, would suit your theme. A lot of packet tricks, in fact, could adapt their patter to your purposes.

(OT but talking of the Philippines, whatever happened to Ranni Raymundo? He was one of the ones around here that knew what he was talking about)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Robert Black
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Robert Black
10 Card Poker Deal for muli-phase direct interaction, John Bannon has work on this I beleive. But Color Monte is great, 3 cards, gambling related, not too long and has the benefit of being a story and you are not directly challenging the spectator to win. Also, once you have the routine down you can use any cards YOU want.
"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity." -- Dr. Edwin. Land