The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: What is your favorite examinable packet trick and why? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Please notice the word "why," fair enough? This topic is about effects where you can leave the cards to be inspected until the cows come home.
My favorite is Bannon's Royal Scam with it "must be done with mirrors" ending.
I feel the twisting is very visual and, of course, the Royal Flush brings in a gambling theme for you to build your presentation around before the KICKER.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I like Bannon's "Duplicity." I like the method. It's really clean, and the cards can be examined. Not to mention that it is interactive, and the specs take part in the magic. A great trick that comes from a couple of great tricks in B'wave and Twisted Sisters. With that kind of bloodline, you get yourself a real winner. This one is it. Smile Love it! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Mb217,
So far, Bannon rules!
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
I would like to be different, but I agree on Duplicity. It has different phases to it, multiple miracles (turnover, transposition, and then blanks) and the spectator is left thoroughly stupefied. The great part is when they run over it in their minds and swear that they could have gone in a different direction.

John
Marvelous_Mysto
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide, Australia
143 Posts

Profile of Marvelous_Mysto
I really enjoy "Masque" by Phil Goldstein. It can be found in his book 'Focus'. It uses four cards, and only four cards. These can be examined before and after the trick.

Three spectators each select their "favourite" card. The magi selects the Joker as his favourite card - because the Joker is wild and can imitate all other cards. Then, the Joker proceeds to imitate each of the selected cards in turn. At the conclusion of the trick, all four cards can be examined.

It has audience involvement, as they select their cards from the face-up pack. Because it is their "favourite card", they are intrigued when it changes to the Joker and back again.

I love the responses that I garner when performing this trick.

Regards,
Baz
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10970 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Virginia City Shuffle
And, my own Adagio for Dots.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
I've always liked "Queens Out of Control" since the time my brother-in-law literally ran from the room in disbelief at it. And that was before the ending. So when he came back in, I did the ending, then let him examine the cards and left him quietly gibbering in a corner. And that's my reason why.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Muse, Royal Scam is the better version of Queens Out of Control, in my humble opinion.
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
925 Posts

Profile of muse
I'll check it out, Michiel, thanks.
There are other packet tricks I've done on occasion, and anything by John Bannon tends to be good, but for this thread it had to be "Queens Out of Control" due to having a specific reason why I like it!

And I just noticed there's another thread just below this comparing those two packet tricks. Interesting, but I don't think I need two such similar tricks.
Michael Bilkis
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of Michael Bilkis
Packet trick: Color Monte -- There is a reason to take three cards out of an envelope. Great effect, and all examinable.

Packet of cards: JC Wagner's "Underground Transposition" from The Commercial Magic of JC Wagner. Twisting the Aces routine with a transposition kicker Ending. It is an entertaining routine where the kicker actually relates to the routine.

Michael
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Quote:
On 2008-08-26 15:49, muse wrote:
And I just noticed there's another thread just below this comparing those two packet tricks. Interesting, but I don't think I need two such similar tricks.

I posted my handling of it on that topic. Tell me what you think of it.
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I knew, eventually, the Color Monte would be mentioned because it is my number 2 trick.

@Michael Bilkis,
I am going to take a guess that UT is NOT examinable. Am I mistaken?
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
I love Dr. Daley's Last Trick. It's very magical and always gets a great reaction. The great thing is that you can use it as an intro or a follow up to any four of a kind effect. So, it's great as part of a routine.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Dr. Daley's Last Trick (although I like the enhancement of Jon Allen's Double Back)
Paul Harris - Reset
Lee Asher - Asher Twist
Bro. John Hamman - Twins
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
I'm going to agree with Michael's recommendation of Color Monte.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I hear a lot about Color Monte; actually have it, but not big on it for some reason. But I'm glad to hear so many others having great appreciation for it. It's clearly a winner, as 3 Card Monte usually is for the dealer or magi. Smile

Hey, Bob, I have Double Back (nice effect), but what is the enhancement to it?

I also like Dr. Daley's Last Trick. It's pretty simple to do, and I actually do it as Bill Malone does, and specs love it. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
The enhancement is the secret that allows you to show the cards in your hand one moment before they exchange places with the cards in the spectator's hand (which you can't do with the original Dr. Daley's).
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
darkbloom
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of darkbloom
I like Printing (Duvivier). I like the presentation, in particular the last version presented by D.D. with the new Bicycle set of cards, which can be downloaded from http://www.mayette.com : a real masterpiece. Furthermore, I like the use of the D/H count.
The Royal Scam is a great trick, easier to do, but if I am in condition I prefer Printing.
The third position for Twisting the Aces and Jazz Aces, which are thoroughly impromptu--no need to justify a special set of cards.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-08-27 21:23, Mb217 wrote:
I hear a lot about Color Monte; actually have it, but not big on it for some reason.

MB, I never got the fascination with Color Monte. I played with it and never warmed up to it. Then, I tried Jay Sankey's version called X's and O's. It's done with a freely chosen, signed card. HOLY SMOKES are the reactions big. It's on his Jay Sankey Live Video/DVD.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks, Chris, my friend. I'll have to check that out. Smile

And, Bob, oh, I see what you mean...That you can use what makes Double Back work in the Daley trick to make it more convincing. Gotcha! Smile I guess that might involve a bit more handling, though.

darkbloom, I remember myself at an earlier time from the converted southpaw position. Great sport, Boxing...or at least it was once upon a time. Smile