The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Old Packet Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Al Albers
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Al Albers
Any suggestions on how to revitalize old packet trick cards? For example, my "Eight Ball" packet trick cards are no longer slick; they stick together. Yes, I could potentially purchase a new set or devise a similar routine using other cards, but if I can salvage what I already have, why not. I thought about using fanning powder, but don't know how long it would last. Any suggestions?

Al
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
You can try rubbing them with a silk, that has helped at times but At a some point you just have to accept they're done. Dirt is embedded into the card and nothing I know of helps.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Fanning powder WILL NOT WORK! I tried this and it made the cards stickier.

Here is some tips that were recommended here on the Café. I have not tried these but some have with success.

Tip #1: Use this Shoe polish to make cards smooth. It takes care of any sticky cards problem you might have. http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100748&navAction=jump&navCount=3&id=prod358075. I tried the polish sponge as recommended by Christian (I got it at Target). It worked like a charm. The cards glide very smoothly now! There is not any noticeable shine to the cards. Whatever small shine is added is camouflaged by the printing on the card.

Tip #2: The best method of "slicking" cards, that I have found, is in "Marlo's Magazine #5" in the chapter titled "Slick Sorcery"! The method utlizes Dow Corning "Silicone Adhesive Sealant" and is more lasting and less destructive to the cards than anything else you could use. You "Cardicians" that have the above mentioned source will know what I mean. I'm not going to give this away. Most diabolical

Tip #3: Furniture polish! Seriously: last time I slicked a card I used aerosol furniture polish and it worked a treat. It wasn't a USPCC card, as I recall.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Al Albers
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Al Albers
Many thanks, "jordanl" and "EDH" for the tips on restoring old playing cards. I certainly appreciate it.

Al
Duderino
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Duderino
Wow! Haven't heard "Eight Ball" in years. That was probably one of the first packet tricks I bought. Does anyone know if anyone produces older classic packet tricks? If not....does Nick Trost or any packet trick creators have books on them?

Also, while I'm on the subject, there was a packet trick involving two mini cards paperclipped to two regular cards and the minis exchanged places while paperclipped. I can barely remember it but I know I loved it. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Thanks.
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
NH, where some days I feel as dumb as
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
Duderino:

I've got that at home. I think it's a Nick Trost effect called Jumbo Card Trans Position.
Duderino
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Duderino
Thanks Danial,

I'll have to do some net searches and see if I can come up with it. I don't know if that's the same one but I'll check it out. The one I'm thinking of used four cards. Two kings(same suit)--one mini, one regular and two Queens (same suit) one mini, one regular.

The performer clips the mini king to the regular queen and the mini queen to regular king. When the cards are shown the mini king is clipped to the regular king and the mini queen is paperclipped to the regular queen. It actually looked great with the handling. It's been a long time and I'm describing it the best I can remember it. The cards were not gaffed--it was all handling.

Oh----if only I'd saved everything over the years. Sigh.
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
Duderino, I checked last night, and the effect is indeed called Nick Trost's Jumbo Card Trans Position. However, you mentioned two minis and two regular cards. This effect uses jumbo cards (obviously, given the name) and regular cards. The name's a bit misleading, since it's the regular cards that transpose, not the jumbos.

It plays exactly like you described. The cards are clipped together face up and then turned over. It actually uses two jumbos and not two but three regular cards, all ungaffed. Sound familiar?

-Dan
Duderino
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Duderino
Thanks Daniel!

That sounds right.

I'm going to look into getting it. Even if jumbo cards are involved, once I know the handling again I can do it with either.

Thanks.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1806 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2007-11-07 16:04, Duderino wrote:
Wow! Haven't heard "Eight Ball" in years. That was probably one of the first packet tricks I bought. Does anyone know if anyone produces older classic packet tricks? If not....does Nick Trost or any packet trick creators have books on them?

Also, while I'm on the subject, there was a packet trick involving two mini cards paperclipped to two regular cards and the minis exchanged places while paperclipped. I can barely remember it but I know I loved it. Does anyone remember what it was called?

Thanks.

If you want an excellent book on packet effects then you must purchase, "Small But Deadly" by Paul Hallas. Another excellent book on packet effects is "Packet Magic" by Richard Paddon, however not sure if it is available anymore. Neither of the books teach the effects but tells you everything about them, you will not put the books down once you start reading them.
Jumbo Card Transposition does use 2 jumbo cards & 2 mini cards and 2 paperclips, and oh so easy. By the way do you have "The Card Magic of Nick Trost", now there is a GOLD MINE of magic..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
danielrhall
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of danielrhall
I don't even know what I have!

Duderino, I have another effect that is as you described (that is, it uses regular and mini cards). It's called Clip-Clop. No creator or distributor name anywhere on the instructions. It's the exact same effect as Jumbo Card Trans Positions but presented a little differently (and better, I think) than Trost's instructions.

I second Rennie's recommendation for "Small But Deadly". I couldn't put it down, and read it a second time as soon as I finished it. Hallas does teach some of his own effects, but the book is primarily a history of packet effects going back to Theodore DeLand. There's a good review here: http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ntopic2369.php

-Dan
Duderino
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Duderino
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll have to put it on my growing list. Since I've gotten back into magic, after years of being away, I've been trying to catch up, and with one teen graduating high school and heading to tech school and another a couple of years away from college, I've had to take it slow. My Christmas wish list has been pretty much filled for the year but I promise you that the Hallas book is something I will pursue. I love packet tricks. It sounds like a very interesting book.

I did see something about the Trost book but I thought it was out of print. I'll have to check into it a little more.

Thanks again!
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
You can resurrect old packet tricks by recreating them "with a twist".
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1806 Posts

Profile of Rennie
The Card Magic of Nick Trost is very hard to find, if you ever see it. grab it without asking any questions..
the best card book there is, trust me..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Joey911
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Joey911
You might have to agree with th fact that they are gone. You could see if you can buy it elsewhere. Good luck!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
If you have the effect and know the routine I would suggest putting circular stickers on blank card stock. Blank card stock allows you to experiment with various possibilities.

One has to accept that when some tricks are gone, they are gone. Most older packet effects (Emerson and West are probably the exception) were not produced in mass quantities as some are today.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I always echo Rennie's thoughts on the Trost book. Simply a classic!! I did see it while browsing around Misdirections Magic Shop site last week. Perhaps they still have it in stock? I have never dealt with them, nor do I know how often they update their catalog, but it doesn't hurt to ask!

The search for this book is worth it. There is a wealth of effects in there that you will want to add to your repertoire.

In a related note to resurrecting old packet tricks, have a look at the DVD "Versatile Monte and Beyond". In there you learn how to print your own cards on real card stock. Even if you are not an artist, there are TONS of free clip art sites on the net that would provide you what you would need.

Paul Hallas's Small But Deadly should also be in your library. It is not expensive but it is rich with information!

Best,
Vlad