The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Mercury (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
I've tried to perform mercury for a small croud a few times and I can never get aways with it. does anyone have any tips that could help me? does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Well, what kind of problems are you having? be specific

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Are you performing it correctly?
AaronTheMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of AaronTheMagician
One, the Ascanio has to be dang-perfect, or it just looks like you're hiding a 5-card packet (which you are!).

Two, I never have liked the original handling by Kong, because it's down and people can't see it too easily. Check out my revised handling at http://youtube.com/watch?v=p92oQX00IY0

Three, most laypeople don't know what to think about cards turning over and changing. Most laypeople think card tricks are supposed to be "take one and let me find it" kinda things. When you're doing something against the norm, against the grain, you'll need good patter to set it up.
As beautiful as it is to watch, you really need to be speaking throughout to entertain laypeople with it.

For magicians, it's good enough as is.
For laypeople, you have to let them know what's going on.

"If I give them a shake, one of the aces will turn face down. This happens every time, as if each ace just melts itself inside out with each twitch."
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Aaron, very good. Good idea using the clear bikes. It kind of cements the idea that you are just using the clear bikes.

Very good idea.
edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This is a good effect for YouTube and TV, but I think that the packet is too thick to pass off as 4 cards in the real world. Aaron, your version is excellent! Smile
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Great stuff Aaron! I love your version!

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
I agree with dpe666. Great on video, bad in the real world. I do think that Aaron's version is better with the angles though.
daniel_lachman
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of daniel_lachman
Mercury works well for me. I just hold the cards down at an almost vertical angle. It still looks natural and the extra cards are hidden.
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
That's a good idea dan , I'll try it.
JeremyM0411
View Profile
Special user
Moody, Alabama
608 Posts

Profile of JeremyM0411
Are you talking about the mercury from ellusionist??
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
Yup, that's the one
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
NIce work Aaron
Cards never lie
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
The clear cards really make it cool, NICE job!
benjie84
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
234 Posts

Profile of benjie84
I found that this effect is very similar to richard sanders effect hardcore packet. I did hardcore packet and used the clean bikes like aaron does...that makes it seem like less cards and the "packet" looks thinner. good trick but maybe a better one for close up could be about faces aces II from the versatile card magic book?

benj
chr!s
View Profile
Regular user
newcastle
163 Posts

Profile of chr!s
For a more workable method on a similar effect,try richard sanders hardcore packet from the sankey/sanders sessions or NFW by gary freed.NFW is gaffed but so clean looking.

chr!s
"you can't see your own rub-a-dub..."
-richard sanders
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Slightly off topic but I just did Twisting the Aces using the clear bikes for my wife and she's now SURE I've sold my soul!LOL! Plays very cool with clears, thanks Aaron!
Cory Landels
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of Cory Landels
Never really liked this one. Check out my handling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPnxUfqkGFI
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
Quote:
On 2007-06-06 20:54, dpe666 wrote:
This is a good effect for YouTube and TV, but I think that the packet is too thick to pass off as 4 cards in the real world. Aaron, your version is excellent! Smile

Yes, yes, yes. This is a trend in magic. Stuff looks great on a web cam but really doesn't work in the real world.
Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
Yeah, I know what you're talking about frank