The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Please Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

I have seen an effect where you have 4 cards with a large red dot in one pile, and 4 cards with a large black dot in another pile. you then take one of the red cards and add it to the black pile and then openly take one black card and add it to the red pile. This then causes the piles to change colour, this is repeated in several different ways and at the end all cards can be examined. Does anyone know what this effect is called? and if so can you point me in the right direction so that I can buy the relevant learning material. Thanks for your help
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5482 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I'm not sure if this is the same effect, but I have an old packet trick with a poker chip, eight cards (4 of one color and 4 of another) and a similar routine called "Color Chips." Does that ring a bell?
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Thanks Magiguy

However, the effect I am refering to has colour cards like those in colour monte except 4 red dots cards and 4 black do cards. No poker chip involved. Does this help with the description a bit more.

Thanks
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I think this is called "Adagio for Dots" or something similar.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5482 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Adagio for Dots does fit the description. This is a routine by the Godfather, Vinny Marini, available on his DVD "The Godfather." It was inspired by John Scarne's Follow The Leader, from Scarne On Cards. Great routine, and a great DVD (as is everything with Vinny's name on it). The effect I referred to earlier, Color Chips, is similar as well. The effect is all cards, but the poker chip is used as the "carrier" of the color from one stack to the other. It also lends to the direction of attention throughout the routine. Good call, edh.
NiallTL
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of NiallTL
It is called either 'Dots impossible', or 'Dots incredible'. Both are available from Davenports Magic.

F.D. Smile
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1810 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2006-10-07 10:20, flourishdude wrote:
It is called either 'Dots impossible', or 'Dots incredible'. Both are available from Davenports Magic.

F.D. Smile

Neither of these use 4 of one color and 4 of another, plus these have gimmick cards added, the effect he is describing do not use gimmicked cards .Somehwhere in my room I do have the effect though, cannot remember the name..I will look later to see if I can find it..
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
If you contact Vinny "The Godfather" he will almost certainly send you a demo of him performing this. He is a very likeable and generous magician here on the Café.

He has helped me enormously. Thanks Vinny!

Look him up in the search function.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1810 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I found some instructions for an effect called Color Segregation. It uses 4 cards with blue dots and 4 cards with red dots..The effect uses two sleights, the Elmsley Count and the Glide.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Sound like an Oil and Water effect.
AJ
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Actually, this sounds like "Restless Colors" from Annemann's Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks.

It has the same effect where packets of Red and Black cards follow the "leader" card as the leaders are transposed, so are the others.

At the end, the cards are of course examinable(dots could be used as well). I believe the original handling made use of the glide.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi Guys

I have found this effect and it is called Daves Dotty Spots. I have bought the book called The Dave Campbell Legacy and it is very very good. The effects are both original and varied. I would highly recommend this book to all those who want to do somthing different from the norm.
barneyfife
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of barneyfife
I have seen this effect done with ungaffed cards. I can't remember the name but I can pm you the directions to do the effect.
Always in motion is the future