The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Color Monte Help Request (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
I know, I know, a DL question. But I did a search first and can’t find the answer.

On Penguin Magic’s site, the Color Monte handling in video demo differs a bit from the written instructions. One of the things that impressed me in the video demo was Oz's ability to turn over the top card (a DB). He gives the packet a little squeeze, and pulls off the DB diagonally. I've tried this, but can't seem to get the knack (partly because it is not simply a double. Those who know the trick know what I mean.)

Does anybody know where I can learn this handling? I believe it's one of the things that really sells the trick.

The video is here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=185
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
You can learn that handling from.... wait for it... the PENGUIN DOWNLOAD!!!!

;)
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Thanks. Silly me, I just read the instructions. Can you recommend books that teach variations like that? Card College?
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
I know what you mean, cloneman. His move is different from the standard handling. I don`t know where this is taught, but obviously it is not that difficult. You need to practice, though. Keep it up, buddy. Smile
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Thanks. I'd love to find a good reference for pack trick moves.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
You mean a reference only for packet tricks? This is hard to find I would say.
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
You're looking for Counts, Moves, and Subleties by Jerry Mentzer. It has all the counts and moves for packet tricks and other stuff. Its a green booklet of about 80pgs. Has a lot of useful info.
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Ideally I'd get something which references various DLs (as posted above), displays and counts (beyond Elmsley, Hammen, and Jordan). I'm considering buying Card College, based upon the recommendations here at the Café.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Well, there you go, cloneman. Smile
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Thanks clamon86, you answered me before I posted. Great service!
Aaron Isaacs
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Aaron Isaacs
R. Paul Wilson has a great handling of this effect that is much cleaner.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 16:58, cloneman wrote:
Thanks clamon86, you answered me before I posted. Great service!

That`s magic! Smile
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Probably OZ use what we called buckle move. with that you be able to get a br**k above the bottom card and now it's very easy to execute DL.
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 16:56, clamon86 wrote:
You're looking for Counts, Moves, and Subleties by Jerry Mentzer. It has all the counts and moves for packet tricks and other stuff. Its a green booklet of about 80pgs. Has a lot of useful info.

Cloneman, I second this book. Get it for sure. It dosen't describe the DL that you are talking about. But for packet tricks and counts etc. It's great. Hamman count, Elmsley count, Jordan count, Vesser count, Flustration count, Olram subtley, Ascanio spread, Buckle counts. And on and on.

And it shouldn't cost you more than 10 bucks shipped.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 17:26, andrelimantara wrote:
Probably OZ use what we called buckle move. with that you be able to get a br**k above the bottom card and now it's very easy to execute DL.

Wrong! It is not the buckle move.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I explained in a PM, but this is bascially Nash's knockout double done with the alignment move to allow it to be used from the bottom.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Good information, Daegs. Didn`t know that.
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
By watching Oz, I was able to reconstruct what he was doing. The problem I found with this D.L. move is it creates a small gap between the cards. I even noticed Oz flashed this as well.

I'd be interested in what R. Paul Wilson does, as I'm playing around with a similar routine called Two Wrongs don't make a Right.

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 19:05, RickVancouver wrote:
By watching Oz, I was able to reconstruct what he was doing. The problem I found with this D.L. move is it creates a small gap between the cards. I even noticed Oz flashed this as well.

Hmmmm, I've never found it a problem, maybe Oz spent all of ten minutes learning the handling before he shot the demo!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-04-11 16:57, cloneman wrote:
Ideally I'd get something which references various DLs (as posted above), displays and counts (beyond Elmsley, Hammen, and Jordan). I'm considering buying Card College, based upon the recommendations here at the Café.
Definitely invest in C.C. but the ultimate reference for false counts/displays is this compilation http://www.themagicwarehouse.com/cgi-bin......m=BK4897
:bikes: Smile Smile
:hypnodisk: KRaZy4kardz Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile