The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Mike Skinner's Ultimate Monte Video? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris Calabrese
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
44 Posts

Profile of Chris Calabrese
I'm trying to find a video performance of Mike Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte. I found a short video at MagicSmith, but is that the whole routine? I haven't purchased it yet, but am planning to, and seeing an online video performance of Color Monte helped a lot and I assume this will also be the case with Skinner's Monte. To clarify, I'm not looking for a teaching video, just a video of the performance.
~ Chris Calabrese ~
Tom Witcomb
View Profile
New user
Sarasota, Florida
93 Posts

Profile of Tom Witcomb
No video...but cheap on Ebay..I am not the seller..Tom
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie......30522521

Smile
adrian333
View Profile
New user
London - UK
53 Posts

Profile of adrian333
This is a brilliant routine for any of you who don't know it, and it's true Michael Skinner style in the way that it can be - and I think should be - performed at a very relaxed pace and very cleanly. Go get it now
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Chris,

FWIW it's on the Malone tapes.

Great Stuff!

Later.....
Steve
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
If you search around on the internet, you can find a really good ebook on the 3 card monte. It has all Scarne's monte tricks and the Routine Vernon used. When done right this can be the best Non gimmicked monte. Personlly i think people that need gimmick to do the 3 card monte are cheap. Besides ungaffed cards have a better impression on people.

thanks Smile
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2002-11-09 12:12, pyro_magic wrote:
If you search around on the internet, you can find a really good ebook on the 3 card monte. It has all Scarne's monte tricks and the Routine Vernon used. When done right this can be the best Non gimmicked monte. Personlly i think people that need gimmick to do the 3 card monte are cheap. Besides ungaffed cards have a better impression on people.

thanks Smile

All I can say about that is...you haven't seen Skinner's Ultimate Three Card Monte. NOTHING is better.

Also, ungaffed cards do not necessarily make a better impression on people. When shown openly and fairly, like you can with the Skinner gimmick, there is absolutely no suspicion on them, and people believe that they are regular cards. In fact, I might even say that gaffed cards make a better impression on people -- if not, you're most likely not using them properly.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
white hats rule.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I agree 100% with Jim Maloney. I've never seen a better version for laymen.

Professionals use gimmicked cards not because the performers are "cheap," but because in the context of the particular trick the cards make the effect more magical, useful, etc. If you discount any trick just because it uses a gimmick, you're concentrating on method vs. effect and your audience can only experience the effect, unless your method is poor.
AltonThrash
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, MS
589 Posts

Profile of AltonThrash
Pyro I have to disagree with you. If a man can make a living with this routine such as Skinner did, it wasn't because he was "cheap". Just ask Bill Malone who also uses it and made a statement to how good it is on his recent videos.
CS Sheridan
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of CS Sheridan
My two cents: I agree that this is a killer effet. In the hands of a good performer, it's baffling and entertaining. And to say ;because it's gaffed it's not as good' is uninformed. A layperson doesn't care whether or not if something is gaffed or real. All that they see is the effect. It seems that sometimes we as magicians put so much time into learning all the technical stuff, that we lose track of the bottom line in performing: to entertain. If that means going gaffed, it means going gaffed. It's only a means to an end. But of course, if you're out to fool magicians, then by all means.....
But that's only my opinion.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Michael Ammar preformed this on a Street Magic special. I believe it was on the Discovery Channel.

Jakks
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2002-11-09 17:19, Larry D. wrote:
Professionals use gimmicked cards not because the performers are "cheap," but because in the context of the particular trick the cards make the effect more magical, useful, etc. If you discount any trick just because it uses a gimmick, you're concentrating on method vs. effect and your audience can only experience the effect, unless your method is poor.

And let me just add a little note in relation to this...Bill Malone, on his video, states that he swore he'd never use gimmicked cards. That is, until Skinner taught him the three card monte. I think that says a bit about the strength of the trick.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Chris Calabrese
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
44 Posts

Profile of Chris Calabrese
Thanks everyone for the info on this. I didn't realize it was on one of Malone's videos, which are all on my "wish" list, but now's as good a time as any to move at least one to my "own" list.

Also thanks for the suggestion on where to buy, but I plan to support my local magic shop on this one (luckily they have the Bicycle-back version, which is what I want).

As for non-gaffed tricks being "better," I actually generally agree, but from what I have seen/read about Skinner's Monte this is an exception to the rule. Hey, if it's good enough for Bill Malone...
~ Chris Calabrese ~