The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Jon Allen's "Double Back" -- Still Just Perfect! (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Steven Webb
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Steven Webb
I was shown this effect at my magic club last month and it floored me. I'm new at magic (I wonder how long I can fet away with that line?) and love practicing this effect. It is because of this trick that I learned an EC and DL, though my DL is atrocious.

So far I've performed it for my grandma obly, as I want to smooth out everything first, but I know it will play huge.

This combined with my other recently purchased packet trick(Twisted Sisters) will deliver a good kick to my limited experience without gaffs.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I've still got to get this. $$$ is tight right now. Smile
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
I agree still just perfect and is the perfect opener, I perform this all the time as part of my regular set.

For me the best and most direct card transposition out there, always has a strong effect on laypeople who are floored.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
Very powerfull card trick. I never leave home without it.
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
One of my top ten, always in my wallet effects. Such a quick visual stunner, a great way to grab peoples attention before leading them into the netherworld....
Proximo
View Profile
New user
Belgium
96 Posts

Profile of Proximo
The DVD has been on my wishlist for a long time.
I still have the effect with the yellow instructions, but my cards have worn out completely!
Actually, I haven't got any other effect that looks as worn-out as my copy of Double Back, I literally must have used that effect thousands of times.
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
I've got 4 sets made up. I'm always ready for this cool effect. Just did it yesterday and the stunned silence is still deafening.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Happy New Years guys…:)

Still remarkable as well to see this string on Double Back still in the mix as well. I'm not surprised though, as it's really just that good. Gotta ring in a new set for the continuing journey. Smile

Oh, and if you see Jon Allen out there, be sure to thank him for this classic. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
When I see @MB217 talk so highly of this... you know its gonna be good Smile I checked out the video and it looks GREAT Smile
Seems like the more of Jons stuff that I see the more impressed I am (For whatever its worth Smile )

Looks like I found my next purchase!
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
I bought this two weeks ago and have been practicing it daily. I can't seem to get them to separate smoothly, they will only separate if I pull them directly apart (which makes the horrible sound Jon mentions in the video). I practice this multiple times daily and thought it would have broken in by now. I of course have watched the portion of the DVD that specifically addresses this, but once they touch, they hold fast. Any suggestions on how to more effectively break them in? I am very eager to start performing this. Thanks in advance, and thanks to Jon Allen for this amazing effect.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 29, 2016, blurrylines wrote:
I bought this two weeks ago and have been practicing it daily. I can't seem to get them to separate smoothly, they will only separate if I pull them directly apart (which makes the horrible sound Jon mentions in the video). I practice this multiple times daily and thought it would have broken in by now. I of course have watched the portion of the DVD that specifically addresses this, but once they touch, they hold fast. Any suggestions on how to more effectively break them in? I am very eager to start performing this. Thanks in advance, and thanks to Jon Allen for this amazing effect.

You could try to contact Jon thru a pm and ask him if there might be another "trick" to make them separate easier. Smile If you scroll up you will see he posted awhile back and you can pm from there. Smile. Good luck.
On The Offbeat
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of On The Offbeat
Sounds like they should have broken in by now. Perhaps yours was of a different or new material that makes it last longer.
Try rubbing your thumb over it as many times as necessary to get it where you like it.
I can separate mine by simply sliding them apart. Try giving that a good go. It may be that once you have separated them that way a couple of times it will become easier.
Yet still another option is to make a new set yourself. This is quite easy assuming you have the what's necessary. If not, it is cheap and easy to get a hold of.
bobgill
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of bobgill
Let's face it: there are a lot of similar packet effects out there relying on this type of methodology, several of which have been mentioned in these posts.
I have most of them and take pleasure from the differences between them. A shout-out to Richard Sanders for ACE in particular.

BUT - I still hold Jon's effect in the highest esteem. Who'd have thought you could be creative within the confines of a four-card packet trick? But this approach to one of my favourite card plots - Dr Daley's Last Aces - remains the killer it was when I first got it from him when it was a sneak preview at a British convention - and now I'm on my fourth set of cards.

There's something about the flow of the handling as it unfolds, and the cleanliness, and how crystal-clear the plot is. Along the way I have made a few tweaks to it (as has Jon, I'm sure), but it remains a modern classic of this crowded genre.

Which is interesting since in the 1970s packet tricks were all the rage - then they got pushed aside somewhat - but seem to have made a return over the last couple of years.

Anyway, this is well worth your attention.
HoDinhYu
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of HoDinhYu
Jon's IS the best.
KentCarter
View Profile
New user
Singapore
3 Posts

Profile of KentCarter
This is a brilliant effect - I bought it when it was just released and it has been my opener for years. It's got all the ingredients: a clear premise, group participation, the magic happens in the specs hands and its all over in a minute. It aways gets great reactions. Thanks Jon Allen!
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
736 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Very late to the party on this one, but...finally bought it after a Propdog live recommendation. In an age of substandard tricks disguised by pretty boxes (hello Summit) its nice to encounter a genius trick in misleadingly substandard packaging. If only it were possible to actually show people magic face-to-face right now Smile

Only one issue is the move you have to do at the bottom of the pack. I can do a reasonable DL in the regular position but finding this slightly more fiddly. Anyone got any tips?
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
[quote]On Feb 16, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:
Very late to the party on this one, but...finally bought it after a Propdog live recommendation. In an age of substandard tricks disguised by pretty boxes (hello Summit) its nice to encounter a genius trick in misleadingly substandard packaging. If only it were possible to actually show people magic face-to-face right now Smile

Only one issue is the move you have to do at the bottom of the pack. I can do a reasonable DL in the regular position but finding this slightly more fiddly. Anyone got any tips? [/quote)

As you finish the Elmsley, keep a two card break. Then do a bottom stud double, which is very easy to do with only (four) cards, turning the two cards face up, then, flipping them over onto the other cards.

Audience reaction-wise, this trick is far superior to Doc Daley's last trick, IMO.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
736 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
[quote]On Feb 18, 2021, NicholasD25 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:

Only one issue is the move you have to do at the bottom of the pack. I can do a reasonable DL in the regular position but finding this slightly more fiddly. Anyone got any tips? [/quote)

As you finish the Elmsley, keep a two card break. Then do a bottom stud double, which is very easy to do with only (four) cards, turning the two cards face up, then, flipping them over onto the other cards.

Audience reaction-wise, this trick is far superior to Doc Daley's last trick, IMO.

Thanks for the advice. Not really familiar with the bottom stud double (or I am and have simply forgotten the name of it), where would be a good place for more info/tutorials?
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
387 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
[quote]On Feb 18, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2021, NicholasD25 wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice. Not really familiar with the bottom stud double (or I am and have simply forgotten the name of it), where would be a good place for more info/tutorials?

While holding the break, all of the cards are in dealing position in the left hand. Right hand approaches palm down. Pad of right middle finger is placed on the front right corner of the two bottom cards. Swivel the cards out using the left thumb base as a fulcrum. Once they clear the other two cards, turn them face up momentarily, Then flip them ,as one, face down onto the other two cards. Hope you can follow that.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
736 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
[quote]On Feb 18, 2021, NicholasD25 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2021, dirtyfoucault wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2021, NicholasD25 wrote:
Quote:

While holding the break, all of the cards are in dealing position in the left hand. Right hand approaches palm down. Pad of right middle finger is placed on the front right corner of the two bottom cards. Swivel the cards out using the left thumb base as a fulcrum. Once they clear the other two cards, turn them face up momentarily, Then flip them ,as one, face down onto the other two cards. Hope you can follow that.

Hey man, thanks for the tips. I'm getting there with it, just a bit of a perfectionist with these things. So your right fingers are face down at the point they come into contact with the corner of the bottom two cards? And are you using your forefinger and thumb to pinch then swivel the bottom two cards out?

Just to clarify, the King of Clubs has been dealt down at this stage right? Cheers mate.