The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Jordan Count tricks (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
Many tricks that use a Jordan could be done with a Elmsley, in which you put the last card on the bottom instead of the top to preserve the desired order. John Bannon, for example, seems to avoid Jordans religiously, even if tricks like twisted sister or duplicity seem like they would naturally use a Jordan... For beginners, its much better to start with an Elmsley rather than a double lift. Double lifts are generally over used and abused by many magicians. An Elmsley count, if performed casually (you're not trying to show the spectators anything, just casually going through the packet), will never be suspected. A good way to get experience doing these slights in front of an audience is to actually use them in tricks where they AREN'T needed. So if you have a packet of 4 face down red backed cards, say, just go ahead and give them an Elmsley. This can be done with a lot of other slights as well (so throw in a pass before you hand out a deck for a shuffle; use a classic force even when you don't need to know the card selected etc.). Besides making you more comfortable using these slights, there's an added bonus of really confusing any magicians in the audience...
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I started this thread, but so long ago that I don't remember whether anyone brought up this trick: Illogical Conclusion, by Roy Walton. I'm learning it now. What a delight it is! It uses Elmsleys and a Jordan, and one other little move.

Note to rjthomp: I wasn't aware that the Elmsley (or "Ghost" -- what a great name!) can sometimes stand in for the Jordan. I won't think about whether that's possible in Walton's trick, because I'm finally learning the Jordan, and it's just so cool...

Bob
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1718 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Personally, I don't like performing a straight Ghost Count followed by an Underground Ghost Count (the last card goes on the bottom). It looks inconsistent. I'd rather do a Jordan Count. When done correctly, it is imperceptible from a Ghost Count. However, you need to put the practice in to make it smooth and train your brain not to perform a Ghost Count.

And I've never understood why John Bannon doesn't use a Jordan Count in his trick Twisted Sisters. The opening display looks better if you do.

Marty
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I agree with you Marty, and I'm surprised at how many tricks use the GC but with the last card placed at the bottom of the packet. So here's a question for you (or whoever cares to answer). If the instructions for a trick direct you to do an EC, but place the last card on the bottom, is there always a way to replace the move just described with a JC?

I just did an experiment to see what effect each of the three procedures has on the final order of the cards. Each time, I started with the all four cards face down, in the order A 2 3 4 from the top.

a. After doing GC the new order is: A 4 2 3.

b. After doing JC the new order is: A 3 4 2.

c. After doing the GC but with last card placed on bottom, the new order is: 4 2 3 A.

So options (b) and (c) are not equivalent. Clearly there's a missing piece that I need to know about.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
P. S. On rereading, I picked up your phrase, "a straight Ghost Count followed by an Underground Ghost Count." So maybe you're saying that Ghost Count followed by Underground Ghost Count is equivalent to a single Jordan count. Way past lunch time here, so I'm going to eat before I try this.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Just tried the experiment. If you do a straight GC followed by an UGC, the result is 3 4 2 A. This is not the same order that results from a single JC ((b) in previous post). It's always possible I made a mistake, but I checked and double-checked. So I'm still not following what you're saying, rjthomp and Marty.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
384 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
I think your problem stems from thinking that the order of the 3 other cards is relevant, when in fact it might not be the case.

Here’s a trivial example: imagine you have 3 red-backed and one blue-backed cards. The BB is in 3rd position from the top and you perform an EC.

If you wanted to perform a second count and still hide the BB card, you could either perform a JC or, by performing an underground EC on the first count, segue with another EC.

If the order of the 3 other cards is relevant, then it might not be possible to replace one handling (EC + JC) with the other (UEC + EC).
Protect me from my friends, I'll deal with my enemies.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Ah, okay, I see. Thanks for the nice example.

Bob
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1718 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Hi Bob, if the exact sequence is important a GC followed by an UGC is not equivalent to a JC. However, if you are performing something like Dai Vernon's "Twisting the Aces", then I'd rather do a GC followed by a JC because the order (at that stage of the trick) is not important.

Interestingly, I often use false counts to re-order cards in a small packet, either to set me up to perform a trick (without having to memorise the specific setup needed) or to reset the packet before placing it in my pocket. Often, I find that an UGC is the easiest and quickest way to reset.

Marty
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
384 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 5, 2021, martyjacobs wrote:

Interestingly, I often use false counts to re-order cards in a small packet, either to set me up to perform a trick (without having to memorise the specific setup needed) or to reset the packet before placing it in my pocket. Often, I find that an UGC is the easiest and quickest way to reset.

Marty

I don’t get that bit.

An EC + JC will reset the order to what it was before starting the EC. I don’t understand how an UEC will work here. Can you elaborate?

And, I'm curious, why do you keep calling Elmsley’s count “Ghost Count”? Ghost Count (Elmlsey’s original name) has been universally superseded with “Elmsley Count” in modern literature.

Genuine question.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Marty. In line with Francois' question, I'd be curious to hear an example or two of how you use the UGC to reset, in a PM, perhaps, if it would be revealing too much. I know the GC and am on my way to mastering the JC, so my ability to string together packet trick routines should soon go up a notch. It's amazing how many quite different things these counts can accomplish.

Francois, I can't speak to Marty's reasons, but I, too, prefer "Ghost Count." I find it a delightfully picturesque name. I usually use "Elmsley Count" because it's more likely that people will know what I mean, and I do like to honor the move's creator, but it's a shame that people don't use GC much anymore. FWIW
poolside
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Florida
73 Posts

Profile of poolside
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2020, Betrayal Mix wrote:
Thanks for the kind and respectful words Bob - especially being nervous about misjudging me, but you are S P O T on the money, I'm an absolute beginning magic user - and I relish quality advice like this!!

I know myself well enough to know I need to focus on one or two things and doing them well rather then try and learn every single trick at once

the one trick I saw that made me know I had to learn magic was the Chicago Surprise Opener [also called the Red Hot Mama I think] and I absolutely wanted to learn it but the d***** l**t totally fried me so I decided to regroup and simplify - baby steps, baby steps, as they say... but I think you are right, focus on the Elmsley and get it down pat, then when I've mastered that, maybe I'll be brave enough to try a double lift!

Betrayal Mix - A Chicago Opener DL is easy if you get a roughing stick and use it on the middle section of the face of your Chicago Opener odd card. Pressing on the middle of the back of the odd card will give you an extremely easy DL and the two cards separate easily when you slide them at the top or bottom. Best of all, your magician friends will be impressed with your perfect DL!
"It's a good feeling to know you're alive" - Fred Rogers
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi Poolside,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I think you'd have to apply the roughing stick to both the face of the odd card and the back of the chosen card -- otherwise the cards won't stick. One solution would be to f**ce the selection.

Alternatively, Betrayal Mix could look at Christian Schenk's ("Card-Shark's") website. He sells Science Friction, which lots of people rave about. It requires only one card to be treated.

Bob
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Another trick that I really like is a version of O&W by J. K. Hartman, "Fixit Mixer." It uses both Elmsley and Jordan counts, so great for practicing both. (God, E and J were geniuses!) Aldo Colombini teaches it on his Oil Water 2, available from Chris Wasshumber's Lybrary.com.
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
384 Posts

For CO, I apply zig 2-way glue pen on the face of the odd card. Works a treat and dirt cheap.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Interesting! I never heard of a 2-way glue pen. Must look into this.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2878 Posts

Profile of Bob G
A couple of messages ago, I meant Wasshuber. The "m" crept in on its own; I had nothing to do with it. Smile
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2021, martydoesmagic wrote:
Personally, I don't like performing a straight Ghost Count followed by an Underground Ghost Count (the last card goes on the bottom). It looks inconsistent. I'd rather do a Jordan Count. When done correctly, it is imperceptible from a Ghost Count. However, you need to put the practice in to make it smooth and train your brain not to perform a Ghost Count.

And I've never understood why John Bannon doesn't use a Jordan Count in his trick Twisted Sisters. The opening display looks better if you do.

Marty

The JC is close to what a layman would do if he where trying to hide a card in a small packet : put the last card under the other ones. The EC is somehow the opposite : it is very clean on the last card, hence more deceptive. That’s why the EC is a core technique in so many tricks, and the JC, while still ok in many cases, is only secondary.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1211 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On May 27, 2023, balbec wrote:

The JC is close to what a layman would do if he where trying to hide a card in a small packet : put the last card under the other ones. The EC is somehow the opposite : it is very clean on the last card, hence more deceptive. That’s why the EC is a core technique in so many tricks, and the JC, while still ok in many cases, is only secondary.

I disagree with this on several counts (excuse the pun) -

1. EC and JC should both be undetectable if executed correctly. They should both look simply like you are displaying four cards (which means of course that they should be indistinguishable from each other.

2. The dirty work happens on the second card for EC, and the third for JC. The last card of the JC is a single card, just like the EC. (But as mentioned above, the whole count should look clean anyway.

3, What is the evidence that a layman would hide an odd card on the bottom rather than second from bottom?

4. The EC does seem to be more common than JC, but that does not mean JC is inferior. It could be that many handlings happen to give rise to a situation where EC is the natural solution. OR it could be that a lot of magicians find the EC a bit easier so avoid the JC.

They are both valuable tools to be used in the appropriate situation.
balbec
View Profile
New user
few
62 Posts

Profile of balbec
Interesting :
1- Sure.I assume excellent technique in both cases, otherwise, the discussion is pointless.
2- Disagree : the dirty work happens on the end of the 3rd and the beginning of the 4th cards, even though you display the 4th distinctly and thus cleanly at the end.
3- No evidence, just a personal reflexion. Still, its quite clear that any layman who plays with cards has thought about the idea of displaying / hidding at one point of time, and that the jordan is closer to what he would do if he has to invent a method. It may be interesting to ask a couple of them.
4- It could, don’t see why someone would consider the Jordan more difficult, though.

This is far from black and white anyway…. and I use both.