The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Your thoughts on Torn by Daniel Garcia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Doc Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena, CA
151 Posts

Profile of Doc Magic
You've got me interested, just pm'd you.
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."- Aldous Huxley
The Hitchhiker
View Profile
Regular user
England
150 Posts

Profile of The Hitchhiker
Just a return to say I did purchase TORN and I'm not disappointed, pretty much got it down with 1/2 an old deck, Daniel deos a great explaination.

Torn - 9/10

Jason
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I've only done torn a few times, but it has been great. I did it during part of a sermon I preached on the God's desire and ability to restore us. It fit perfectly with the message and helped those listening to visualize what I was saying. I definitely agree that it takes some practice to present it smoothly and beautifully, but it is well worth the effort.

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
hiwese1
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of hiwese1
I like the effect and the method is good in my opinion.
beaker
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of beaker
I am really impressed by The Reformation by Hollingworth. Signed card, seen front and back during performance (almost whole performance shows the signed face of the card), and not nearly as finger cramping as I was warned. Angles seem pretty good as well. I can see why many hold this as the "gold standard" for piece by piece restorations.

Torn looks great, but I have not learned it so I cannot comment on any performance issues. It certainly looks gorgeous in DG's hands.
rpierce
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire - USA
1220 Posts

Profile of rpierce
I spent all last night practicing TORN, great effect, not difficult to execute but a little complicated at first. It will require some time to get down but an absolutely unreal effect, with the exception of the creases it presents just like Copperfields T&R baseball card. Worth the money and the practice.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I happen to like the creases!
I like to think that in the spectators minds you just did something totally impossible but not quite perfect... hope that phrase made sense, lol!

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
892 Posts

Profile of evikshin
I've been practicing Torn on and off again. I'm yet to perform it for real, I guess I'm afraid I'll F___ it up and expose a great idea.

Anybody care to enlighten me on the ideal performance conditions for bringing about this miracle (as in how many spectators, angles, etc)?

evikshin
damagic1
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of damagic1
Is this easier than Guy hollingworths trick?
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Evikshin, I never did it for more than 3 people at a time. it is pretty angle sensitive so you have to be careful. usually I do it for no more than 2 people at a time. practice it until you feel you are ready to perform and try it out on a close friend or better yet a family member. if you pull it off you'll gain confidence and from there on it will get better;)
good luck!

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
rodounet
View Profile
New user
FRANCE
2 Posts

Profile of rodounet
I don't really like Garcia's Torn, because the restorations are less and less magical... The first piece is awesome but we don't even see the last piece !

Hollingworth's Reformation is the opposite, magic grows as we progress in the routine. In that way, reformation is, for me, one of the best T&R card effects.
renzheng
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of renzheng
I like Torn very much, and I perform it everywhere. It is easy and amazing
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
I think torn is great, but I never put in the practice because of the angle restrictions.
JackhammerTO
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of JackhammerTO
Quote:
On 2007-05-31 09:40, rodounet wrote:
I don't really like Garcia's Torn, because the restorations are less and less magical... The first piece is awesome but we don't even see the last piece !

Hollingworth's Reformation is the opposite, magic grows as we progress in the routine. In that way, reformation is, for me, one of the best T&R card effects.

I disagree with your point on Torn, with the right tempo and misdirection, it does not matter. In addition, you could perform the alternate version where the additional pieces are held in your lips or shown to come from the pocket. Clean up is harder but not much.

Personally, I love the trick. I do a version where the back of the card is signed first by me then the spectator. Stronger I think that the original.