The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Stand Up Monte Garret Thomas... (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On Dec 8, 2014, The0mas wrote:
The problem I have with this effect is that it is so visual and direct that I am afraid spectators would understand that there is something "strange" with the cards… in my opinion, it is important that the spectator can DOUBT about what is happening and about the method… here there's no place for doubt, the card is here, and one second later is there, without any kind of move… spectators aren't stupid… or there is real magic going on, or the cards are somehow gimmicked as there is almost no move at all in the moment when the magic happens. This is my major concern with this, although it is a beautiful effect

I think to combat this, it's good to do this effect relatively quickly. When things happen quickly, they are simply trying to keep up and follow what's going on and they don't really have time to really analyze what is happening.
depeka
View Profile
New user
Germany, Bielefeld
51 Posts

Profile of depeka
I do the "Stand Up Monte" very often, and it never failed. Works fine Smile. I have made some ideas on my own, to switch three cards at the end (two of them are necessary, but its easier in the packet), so that I am complete clean. Stand Up Monte is a nice quick routine, easy to learn (yeah, you have to learn, but its not complicated).
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Stupid question here ......

Can I do the Stand Up Monte whilst seated? I am pretty much almost always seated you see. Smile
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I would say yes, don't see any real problems.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Thanks for the reply George.

I bit the bullet and ordered it from Free post magic (brilliant service by the way wwww.freepostmagic.co.uk ).

I'll up date when I try it out - just in case anyone else needs to know.

Cheers all and have a happy new year.
terrillific
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
294 Posts

Profile of terrillific
Stand Up Monte is my favorite Monte card routine. I like to do it fast. They don’t what hit them when all the cards change at the end. It’s a powerful routine.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
This is a killer effect!
On the DVD Garett does an 'over the shoulder' tutorial which brings it all home.
Don't hesitate with this just buy it - then practise, practise, practise!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
COB
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of COB
Fantastic routine. A great one to have on you wherever just in case.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I was using my side pocket for it but UGH!!! forgot to bring my set with me on Deployment. Ima have to re-learn the whole effect again. its one of those that if I don't do often I will forget the handling.
Han XIII
View Profile
New user
Hampshire, England
9 Posts

Profile of Han XIII
I love this trick!!! Does take a little while to get all the moves and patter down but like many others here I also use my right front trouser pocket as I rarely wear a waistcoat or a shirt with chest pockets.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6789 Posts

Profile of videoman
I just wish that for these types of effects, the creator would include a single written page of instructions that briefly outline the routine, or even a PDF file.
It would cost virtually nothing and save buyers from having to do it themselves, which is actually fairly time consuming to go thru the DVD and keep pausing and writing.
Then if you do need to relearn it at some point, it's a simple matter to see what the initial set up is and reacquaint yourself with any parts you are unsure of.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
You can get this with written instructions for half the price of the DVD version.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
You can? Where? I need a new set since I am Deployed and didn't bring my set or assorted deck to make my own.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2015, paisa23 wrote:
You can? Where? I need a new set since I am Deployed and didn't bring my set or assorted deck to make my own.

Here, for one...
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Kabbalah you rock.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
267 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
This is one of those effects that work better for some than others. I have found is is hard to remember all the steps. Also, the effect is so impossible and you have to keep repeating a special move, that people start to suspect the cards. I have even had some try to look under as I perform. One lady said, "Let me see those cards!" So it seems to not be my cup of tea but your mileage may vary. If it works for you, congrads!
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Recently learned this one, been having a blast just practicing it. Definitely requires practice to get the muscle memory, I also feel like I can improve the sleight involved. I did do it for my wife and she did agree it's a "good one".
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Any thoughts on/experiences with the Expansion Pack that was put out by Kozmo and GT a couple of years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVG05R26xFo
RobertApodaca
View Profile
Regular user
Henderson, NV
151 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Didn't practice it for a few months and I completely forgot it.

I'm sure if I review for a couple of days I'll be prepared to perform it. I think my biggest issue with the routine is the use of my pockets actually, as I usually already have sponge balls in that pocket.