The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Deckless! :: Jon Allen's "Double Back" -- Still Just Perfect! (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:
On 2013-01-14 10:29, PapaG wrote:
Still not sure that the display is necessary. The addition is nice but is it worth carrying gaffs just for this added convincer. Obviously it's a real magician fooler but I just wonder whether laymen need that additional convincer.

I'm with you PapaG. It's magician thinking, as a magician you know you've done sw*tch*s but the spec doesn't. I've done this routine in the trenches for way too many years to mention and the specs go wild about it. Personally, it's not a favourite of mine and I started doing it only as an add on, but spec reaction is so strong that I never leave it out. For a routine that gets such a strong reaction, that uses cards from the deck I'm using and has no clean up necessary, I really don't see the benefit of adding gaffs for an additional display.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I've performed both tricks and for the most part I agree that the reactions are (almost) equally as strong. However, I've performed Double Back at every single walk around gig I've worked for almost 3 years now. I use it as my opener most of the time because of the presentation I use, it's the ultimate ice-breaker.
nicolasmtg
View Profile
Veteran user
Argentina
379 Posts

Profile of nicolasmtg
Hello I have a question mb Smile

just to know... its posible to do DLT with this set so the DB be an encore?
please answer me on pm Smile
--------Magician and director at NONTRICKS.COM--------
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Welcome to the Café nico, Smile

PMd you. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1276 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Hows the "tactile experience" of the cards when they're in the spec's hands? My copy's on the way. Can't wait!
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2013-02-04 09:50, TheMag1cian wrote:
Hows the "tactile experience" of the cards when they're in the spec's hands? My copy's on the way. Can't wait!

They only handle the 2 cards you want them to handle so you'll have no issues.
sohaib
View Profile
Special user
San Ramon, CA
577 Posts

Profile of sohaib
Yep, Double Back is a keeper Smile

One of the best packet effects of all time - top 10 for sure, maybe even top 5
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I will never forget the first time I opened the package when I bought DB. (I think I got it from Hank Lee) Anyway, when I realized that I could actually SHOW the cards in my hand that were supposed to be there, I about flipped! It was a moment of pure magical magic for me. (lol! Had to say that!)

Anyway, I was off and running! What an effect! This was just screaming for someone to bring it into reality in the world, and Jon heard the cry and did it for us. And we will ever be grateful for his creation.

Well, over the years I have LOST my original purchase, and now it is re-released? Please tell me who sells it!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Doug:

Most dealers have it but here's a link to one:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/double-bac......315.html

Doug
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Thank-you!
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
Why not buy it direct from the creator.

http://www.close-upmagician.com/magiciansonly.htm
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I dug through my files and found the orange instructions that were long lost. I assembled the neccessary cards, practiced the moves, and I'm back in business!

Once again I was astounded and pleased at the simple beauty of the effect as Jon constructed it. Can't wait to hit the streets! God how I've missed this trick!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've got a solution for the problem of the cards making a noise when you separate them. I use Scotch brand Restickable Glue Stick. Absolutely silent and works like a charm on this effect.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Speaking of restickable glue stick, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it because I'm not sure if it's on the market any more. A few years back I bought several sticks at Staples, just to stock up, because I use it on many effects, but you know how companies are these days. One day it's available for purchase, and the next day they pull the plug on it, and you can't find it anywhere. I haven't been to Staple's in a while, and I'm not sure if the sticks are even available any more. But they sure work great on effects where you need to stick and unstick two cards.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Sounds like a pretty good idea but I have found that my cards still work pretty well, just a bit worn over the years as I love to do the effect for people. It really blows them away every time. Smile

If you like to do a few high-impact card tricks, Double Back should definitely be one of them. It truly is amazing and pretty easy to do. Smile

Are you guys still doing this one? Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 09:55, Mb217 wrote:

Are you guys still doing this one? Smile

Now and forever!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Hi guys,

I am so embarrasingly slow to learn new magic concepts. I've just spent about an hour watching Jon Allen's "Double Back".

Final Verdict: Awesome! and almost Perfect!

However I should note that when Jon is teaching the Elmsley count, (YAY JON! although I've heard of it I didn't know what it was, but now I do thanks to you!)
...as I was saying before I interrupted myself: when Jon is teaching the Elmsley count, as well as a substitute technique for those who can't do Elmsley very well: a substitution which Jon credits to Nicholas Einhorn, He flashes cards toward the camera stating: "And you will then end up with the cards in THIS order"

Mr Allen, it's just a small thing present in an otherwise very good presentation of your method but...the order of cards you show the camera after doing the SUBSTITUTION move is not the same order as you show after doing the Elmsley count !! After progressing past the Nicholas Einhorn variation (which I am grateful you taught) you then pick up the presentation from there saying: "And after the Elmsley Count your cards should be in THIS order". Well, the "THIS order" you then show after doing the Elmsley Count is not the same "THIS order" you show after the Substitutionary move.

If the order has to be EXACTLY correct it's important to be aware that there are 2 different "This Orders" being shown to the Camera. Maybe a note could be slipped in with future DVD shipments that notes the tiny discrepency and which correctly identifies the CORRECT order of cards.

On the other hand: If either "This order" works...then the rest of my post will expose me as the whiney complainer, who rants about nothing, that my boss often reminds me I can be at times (although I STILL maintain that anything over 40 hours SHOULD be treated as time and 1/2 overtime pay...he thinks that is just plain silly and often closes the door in my face while I stand there with my time card in hand...he doesn't slam it rudely, just closes it...but STILL...)

I'm sorry, back on subject:

Real Magicians would most likely instantaneously mentally correct and adjust the tiny discrepency of two different card orders being shown, but for the "I am like Patrick-the-Starfish off of Sponge Bob audience" (and I AM: ya gots ta go reaaaal slow with me) even the tiniest curve ball that arises when we are trying to learn a new magic method can derail us terribly for awhile.

If someone chooses to use the Mr. Einhorn Substituion for proper card postioning Mr. Allen teaches then:

To arrive in the correct card order that the Double Back needs you to be in, you have to slide the bottom and top card, not the bottom and third card as is shown on the video. This absolutely drove me nuts for 20 minutes because mistakes are almost always on MY PART and not another party's part. (TD Bank will confirm this Smile )

I kept repeating the instructions and didn't obtain the same card order Mr. Allen was flashing to the camera and with each repetition of the Substitution variation I would look at my result and go: "Wha...I uh...say what now?...Do I need coffee or B-vitamins to wake up and understand this?...what am I messing up THIS time?..."

But this time...(and I am almost happy about it)...IT WASN'T ME!! Smile This time the INSTRUCTION was off a bit and not Patrick the Starfish! YAY!!

After a lot of rewinding and experimenting, I finally pieced together proper placement of things with the Nicholas Einhorn Subtitution. I'm almost glad the mistake was there because, now that I've able to identify and correct it, I feel as though I've conquered something!: I feel like a giant wall in my mind that has graffiti written on it stating: ALEX YOU ARE DUMB" crumbled and I now stand amidst the rubble of the crumbled wall seeing that a magnificent valley was just on the other side of that now-crumbled wall while a villager rides by on horseback saying: "maybe you aren't as dumb as we thought".

When Mr Allen teaches the Elmsley though, everything goes according to plan if you do it just as he shows it.

It really may be that either card order works but it is Jon's statement on the video: "After doing the Elmsly count and before the D>>>L>>> your cards will be in THIS order" that would make a beginner do a double take when viewing "Double Back" and maybe cause confusion as it did for me.

When you have little experience your thinking is, when learning a new concept: "If there are 7 steps, I HAVE to thoroughly understand them and do them PERFECTLY in order or this is a bust".

In contrast, I'm guessin experienced magicians often think: "Hey, great presentation and idea but I can do that in just 5 steps or I can do "A" instead of "B" and get there all the same."

Us beginners though, We are afraid that if we step away from "A" or "B" a land-mine awaits!

That is my only observation as to why Mr. Allen' Video presentation of Double Back scores 90% on the "AWESOMENESS" Scale and not 100%.

The effect itself, the magician teaching the concept, the teacher's assistent, audience reaction, all DO deserve 100% on the "AWESOMENESS" scale. Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9542 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Trueinventor, you said a mouthful here. Smile In a nutshell, it is indeed a wonderful effect, one of the very best. Smile

I get PMs all the time as to this string, and it would be nice if folks just stopped back here to post their thoughts, but a recent one I got said...

Mb,

You might not remember me, but you urged me to buy double back and you made me a private YouTube video onthe Elmsley count and DL.

Well I brought it, it sat and stared at me for a few months, and I just broke it out.

FANTASTIC,

THANK YOU!

I really appreciate your support, thanks.

-T.

That's what I'm talking about. Smile

TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1276 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I literally use this every day. Its a great opener to any card routine. Or anywhere in the routine actually. I shan't forget the sweet sweet "reset" built in to this. Your final move resets instantly. It's such a huge worker that your cards will wear fast. I didn't have the sound issue until I used my restickable glue stick so I basically just loosen them up just before I perform. If you don't have this do yourself a huge favor and pick it up. Thank us later.
Ian K
View Profile
New user
Hampshire UK
8 Posts

Profile of Ian K
On occasion, I have performed Double Back with four regular cards. Means you can not show the faces of the kings prior to the transformation, which is so strong, but does enable you to do what is still a pretty good trick off the cuff as it were.