The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: Lighting Flash Paper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
Has anyone got a good way of lighting flash paper in close up without a lighter or flash paper?

Maybe a closeup wand with a hot wire or a pen or something?

Any ideas, or is there somewhere to buy something like this?

woops, that should have been without a lighter or match. Sorry

I saw a pen once that got hot at the end, anyone know where to get such a thing?

Kind Regards

Stephen
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Stephen,

Check out model airplane engine glo-plugs at a hobby shop. If you like making props it isn't too difficult to combine one of the plugs with a piece of metal tubing, a battery and a momentary miniature pushbutton switch to make a wand that will do what you want.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
Stephen Barney
View Profile
Regular user
UK
130 Posts

Profile of Stephen Barney
Sid

Good idea, my dad flies those, I'll give that a go.

Stephen
morpheus
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of morpheus
A cigarette or something like that.
-morpheus
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Stephen, Rick Hasselet sells a lot of magic with glow plugs. Hank Lees Magic Factory is always pushing his name.
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Don't know if they are available in the U.K. but on this side of the pond, we have battery powered cigarette lighters, that are no more than a battery holder with a neat little glow wire assembly that looks a bit like a flashlight bulb.

I think they call them wind proof lighters, but I have cannibalized several for various little lighting effects.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Wil Castor
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle
144 Posts

Profile of Wil Castor
Depending on what you are using it for, you can use a match after it has been extinguished... light it, blow it out and you have about 20 sec of time to light the paper with before it goes cold... glo plugs are good, also nichrome wire which is what makes the plug glow. There are also gimmicks you can buy that either light it in your hand or shoot it a few feet, under the right circumstances these can be a lot of fun too.
Good luck and be careful
Pain is the craft entering into the apprentice.
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Dallas, TX
250 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
This is something I love doing, just because it draws a lot of attention, and generates emotional build up. People immediately know that magic is about to happen even if I don't say so.

I pull out one of those hand sanitizes that are set up as a key chain ( http://dealsbuzzhealth.com/Purell-Instan......GPTM.htm ). Then I take a glass of wine or a glass of water, empty it, clean it, and turn it upside down. Then I pour some hand sanitizer in the back of the glass, and light it on fire.

(I normally touch the hand sanitizer with one of my fingers and my finger will turn on fire without burning for a couple of seconds, if I close my hand in a fist the fire goes out)

After that I go into a production using flash paper. When the reactions from the production are over. I put my hand on top of the glass extinguishing the flame and I end up with some hand sanitizer on my hands, at this point I say something like: "What I like about this is that I get to sanitize my hands before using my cards," or something of the sort (if you decide against extinguishing it that way it will go off by itself eventually)

This is great to do in children's shows because it teaches them to play with fire. Smile
MikeyM71
View Profile
Regular user
Chesapeake, OH
153 Posts

Profile of MikeyM71
I think MagicProShop has some igniters, you might want to try them.
<BR>Mikey M.