The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: Large objects made from flash paper (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
I was wondering if you can simply paper-mache' flash paper together to make large objects like an orb. Would it ignite the same and could you float it?
a big origami structure would also be interesting to make vanish by fire. Has anyone used flash paper to create objects and how well did they go "up in smoke"? Thanks
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3561 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Adding water and paste would not allow the paper to do what it was made to do.
A large amount of paper at once would be an inferno, resulting in an unsafe situation. Using one full size sheet (8x10 I believe) is a huge fireball on its own, let alone multiple pieces... Yikes
There are red and green sheets for a paper rose and at one time there were black and white sheets that when rolled was a flash paper wand. As far as oragami folded flash paper props, I don’t know.
FasciN8
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of FasciN8
Thanks Wravyn,
Yes, I have found the flash wands so it is possible. Although it seems this is not a heavily traversed territory. Obviously, safety is the main concern as with any pyrotechnics. I am certified in HAZMAT, along with about 100 other certifications as a Firefighter and first responder, EMT and wildland firefighter, so I am not being ignorant of the challenges of such art just to make it clear to others who may think I am being irresponsible asking such questions. I would also advise others to get certified in fire chemistry and science/safety before attempting to manipulate anything larger than flash paper products.
That being said there must be a way to fuse the paper together perhaps making a pulp and creating the form from that and letting it dry. Normal paper mache is made by soaking the newspaper or whatever in a mixture of Elmer's glue in water with flour. perhaps super-gluing the edges of the paper together then dampening the sheets of flash paper after the glue is set to create the form will work. But there are the fumes that you must also be aware of as you do not want to produce a toxic gas that could poison you or others when ignited. I wonder what fumes are released when super glue is burnt? I will look into this.

Super Glue Warning Poison!!!

A general warning, burning super glue CyanoAcrylate, releases
Cyanide poison into the surrounding air, so be careful…
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Dan Efran
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA
150 Posts

Profile of Dan Efran
Water shouldn't hurt it; flash cotton is shipped "wet with water". You could probably shape it wet, then let it dry. Maybe.

Maybe try this stuff?
http://www.theatrefx.com/moreinfo-fp21-flash-paper-glue.html

I agree that you ("one") should keep it small. Post a video if you get something working. Smile
Sabrina
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of Sabrina
In order to glue flash paper together requires a glue consisting of nitrocellulose. Fingernail polish may work but newer forms have additives to resist burning fingers for some reason.

Nitroglycerine would dissolve the flash paper. But advice I've received is that it would require heating to dry and probably not good for almost everyone.
tonysmith
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tonysmith
Buy the cheapest clear nail polish you can find. It has less additives and works well.
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
387 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
Do not make big, is very not safe
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2355 Posts

Profile of todsky
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca