The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: A Short Robert Frost Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
normative
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of normative
Something I've been trying out recently and gotten some very nice reactions to — though it is a little on the nose. I live in DC, so I usually preface this with some remarks about how the current political situation, and in particular the escalation of rhetoric between the U.S. & North Korea, has gotten me thinking, somewhat morbidly, about a certain well known Robert Frost Poem. You know the one:

Some say the world will end in fire, [pulling out a book of matches with my right hand, then lighting one, which I hold in the left]
Some say in ice. [shrugging]
From what I’ve tasted of desire [placing the match in my mouth]
I hold with those who favor fire. [blowing in the direction of the matchbook, which "spontaneously" ignites]
But if it had to perish twice, [placing the burning matches down on a table with my right hand as the left drops to my side]
I think I know enough of hate [my right hand moves over the matches & produces a fireball flash, as my left hand comes back up to join it]
To say that for destruction ice [my hands are now cupped together in a ball over the matchbook, a bit of water trickling out from between them]
Is also great [I open my hands to reveal a large sphere of ice]
And would suffice. [The ice ball drops to the table with a nice "thunk"]

The "fire" is via MagicSmith's PyroKinesis 2.0 (plus a "special" ring to make the handling a little smoother); the "ice" via Kieran Johnson's Element.

As I said, a bit on the nose, but I think it synthesizes two independently very strong effects in a quite satisfying way. And at a more practical level, wiping off the water on your hands from the ice gives excellent cover for cleaning up from the matchbook ignition while the spectators are focused on confirming that yes, that really is a big old ball of actual ice.
badger1957
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of badger1957
What a lovely routine,well done you I bet you get great reactions from performing that.