The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: Never used flash paper...got some ?’s (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
CardTrix
View Profile
New user
Springfield, IL
52 Posts

Profile of CardTrix
I am wanting to get some flash paper and incorporate it into some of my tricks but have a couple questions...

1) Is it cheap enough to buy and practice with?

2) Do you need anything to ignite it?

Smile
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3783 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
1) Is it cheap enough to buy and practice with?

It depends how much you intend on practicing.

Personally, I think that once you get used to the paper and the flash, you will not really need to actually "burn" some everytime you rehearse.

2) Do you need anything to ignite it?

Yes you do. Anything "Hot", a lit cigarette, a match, or a electronic device (sold in magic shops)

As with all tricks involving fire, I implore you to use extreme caution and common sense.

I myself am not afraid of fire, but I have a healthy respect for it. Good luck!

Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I agree with Steve on being very careful when "playing" with fire. To practice I use a small torn strip of paper that is the same size as the flash paper that I'm using. I don't light the regular paper, but go through the steps I would as if it were flashpaper. Good luck with it. Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
The others have already spoken about the practice issue. Once you see how it works, you don't need to fire a new piece each time in practice.

But remember fire is fire, even if it just seems to be here and gone in a moment.

Watch the material around you too. Synthetics can go almost as fast as the Flash paper.

And something that I have recently begun to do, is that when I do fire (and I do lots of fire!!) I put out a large working Fire Extinguisher, near where I will perform. And I make it very clear why it's there.

And here are my two reasons for doing this:

<B>Reason Number 1</B>

because Fire can burn, and burns aren't pretty. I have seen people burned and I have been burned (although never while performing or even praticing magic) And I want to protect myself as well as everyone around me.

<B>Reason Number 2</B>

So the audience understands the possible danger of the fire. And although this can be used as a way of elevating the effect in danger in their eyes. The danger is real, and knowing helps keep people from "trying to help" or otherwise being active in anything except an audience role.

Flash paper (and fire in general) can be great tools to further a performance, but common sense and appropriate caution should alway be used.

The good news is that almost anything, from a match, or lighter, to an electric device can light it. But the bad news is that an errant spark or any number of other things can set it off accidentially.

It gets shipped wet for a good reason. Store it wet, until a reasonable time before you are going to use it, and then allow enough to air-dry for your immediate needs, and keep the rest wet.

Ok, enough of Safety with Flash Paper 101.

Good Luck, and Please be careful out there!

BroDavid

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
As for practicing with it, what I do when I absolutely have to have a flash, is to use flash cotton. I bought a package of it 2 years ago and still haven't used it all, This includes using various flash devices.

Smile I love flash paper/cotton Smile

Honestly, I just sit around lighting it for no reason Smile

Smile
David Smyth
View Profile
Regular user
Stourbridge, UK
146 Posts

Profile of David Smyth
Man, if I did that I'd have no money left!!!

The flash paper that I can get from my nearest Magic store costs, wait for it, a whopping £0.90 for 1 piece of A5 flash paper...

WHAT A RIP-OFF!!!

Dave

The Magicians Living Room

WhatShalliPutOntheSiteToday.co.uk

One ring to rule them all and it's mine.
Back at the magic...
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
123 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
I have a TT flash igniter with a flint wheel like a lighter and a pot to hold the flash substance.

After not using it for years it no longer sparks. There is a little screw off section containing a spring that I believe is where the flint goes. It contained black powder after sitting for years.

Does this sound right? Should I be able to purchase flint at a drug store and place it on top of the spring to make it work again?

Thanks

--Kris
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
I would say that it SHOULD work, however I'm not going to say to do it or not do it because I don't want the responsibility of having anyone get burned because I gave some bum advice. Good Luck with it! Smile

BTW BroDavid EXCELLENT POST Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
123 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
Boy, you are really gun-shy or should I say flash-shy. Smile

I sure hope you haven't been sued for helping someone in the past... or something.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Kris, just really cautious when it comes to "fire." Just this evening I was called to a house fire with 2 young fatalities, So I guess that sometimes I do go a little overboard on stressing the point.

I've been doing performing with fire for quite a while now, and have been in the fire dept., even longer and I just don't want to see anyone get burned. I'd be more then happy to help you with any fire questions that I could if you would like to E-mail me. However there are some young magicians on this board, and just want to be sure to make a point. Being "fire-shy" just comes with the fire/medical territory!

:rolleyes: Smile Smile Smile
magic_kris
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, KY
123 Posts

Profile of magic_kris
Wow, I understand your concern after what you must deal with day in and day out. I'm not sure I would want to entertain with fire after a day working to fight it. Then again, I guess that your experience makes you the perfect person to do it safely.

However, in this case, I'm sure that anyone who buys the gimmick gets instructions on changing the flint. I just seem to have misplaced mine over the years.

Thanks

--Kris
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
You might be able to contact the manufacturer and see if they can hook you up with another set of directions.

Now ya understand why I won't recommend anything with fire unless you take the proper precautions. I don't want NO responsibility, I already have to much of that already! Smile

That isn't to say I wouldn't help you out in private, just not on the board. Smile

"If it looks good, you’ll see it; If it sounds good, you’ll hear it,If it’s marketed right, you’ll buy it; but...if it’s real, you’ll feel it." - Kid Rock
Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
This is really a reply to David earlier.

My local Magic shop is nearly 100 miles from me. By my calculations a single piece of flash paper would cost me £25.90. (I will resist the comments about how much petrol/ gas costs despite the forum name.)

Long live the internet!!

Billy
A journey of one thousand miles starts with the first step