The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Up in smoke! :: Creating Flash Paper (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Actually guys not to be an ass, but being a gun smith might very well be a helpful factor when it comes to this kind of stuff, I mean I'm not saying that qualifies him or anybody, but did you ever notice how gun barrels are black? that's not paint bud, its a certain kind of oxidization that protects the metal, and you come by that using verry dangerous chemicals, a black oxide coating is the flashpaper of the metal world haha. I'm not saying he should try it or that he's certified to do it, I don't even know if he's ever done a black oxide coating, all I'm saying is don't be so quick to put down gun smiths.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
There was a young man from Green Bay
Who was making flash paper one day
He dropped a live match
Upon the whole batch
There WAS a young man from Green Bay
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2018, Bill Thompson wrote:
There was a young man from Green Bay
Who was making flash paper one day
He dropped a live match
Upon the whole batch
There WAS a young man from Green Bay

As a Wisconsin native (and one afraid to make their own flash paper) this made my day
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
danieltirado
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of danieltirado
Jejejje...
Wabojeg
View Profile
New user
Ann Arbor
78 Posts

Profile of Wabojeg
Hello. I have a very experienced chemist friend with a lab in his garage that will make some for me. That said if I could buy what I want I wouldn't have him do it. I want a heavier weight paper. I see a company in China sells it wholesale (not sure how they would get away with shipping it to another country) but the stuff I find at magic shops in all like tissue paper. Any suggestions? Thanks, Kevin
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
The heavier weight paper will retard the burn rate as less oxygen can get to the fibers. Everyone I know that has used larger effects always made them up with the normal size pieces matrixed together. I personally would be scared to death of someone attempting to make this in their garage. There is just too much risk as it can spontaneously combust at several points in the process... even while drying. It is basically a form of nitro glycerin yet still combusts as a deflagrating explosive.
Ray Pierce
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here a little fact not well known. all the places that have made Flash paper, have all exploded or burnt down at one time or another. That is why flash paper comes and goes on the market. Takes a long time to restart a business when everyone is dead.

From the pictures I have seen, most of these so called manufacturing places are nothing but a small wood building a little bigger then an "Out House" and way out in the wilderness, away from all civilization.

Flash paper would not be flash paper if it were made with thick paper. It would just be a burning sheet of paper, very slowly.

Make your own, that is a real joke, and very dumb thing to attempt.

Do you really think a man that makes flash paper for a living would tell the process to anyone for free on a magic website. But if you want to, take some college courses on chemistry.
AndrewI
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of AndrewI
Genuine questions - if this stuff is so dangerous, why are there many effects on the market which use/require it? Or is it only dangerous to manufacture, and once it's manufactured it's nice and safe? I ask because I live in New Zealand and there are no magic shops here who sell flash paper (or any kind of supplier of flash paper at all as far as I can find). None of the mainstream magic shops overseas will send it to me in New Zealand. I did buy a small amount from a Chinese vendor on AliExpress as an experiment, and it was packaged up and sent on its way to me but the delivery was cancelled before it got out of China. I don't need to guess why... Anyway this leaves me stuck with either (A) never do any of the tricks which require or are improved by flash paper (B) make my own (doesn't seem like a top plan after reading this thread) or (C) find an alternative way of creating a flash of low-residue fire.
Anyone have any suggestions for (C)? (Or even better, know of someone who can supply flash paper to me in New Zealand)? Thanks!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
AndrewI, yes Flash Paper and Flash Cotton are very dangerous, it is never safe.

All flash products have to be sent by land and sea, meaning trucks and ships, and marked clearly. It is now shipped surface shipping, and is packed in a liquid, most likely a water product. When the retailer gets the product, he has to open it and dry it out for several days, before it can be ready for sale.

You just have to do your research for your country, it is all about how important it is to you.