The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Can anybody split cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
I can't get the hang of spliting cards and I need to make a special gaff. Is there anybody here that is good at creating Gaffs by spliting cards who would like to make a few bucks? I'm looking to have 18 cards created.

If you are interested, reply here or privately.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Daryl gives a pretty good "how-to" on one of his videos. I think it was Encyclopedia of Card Sleights Volume 8. I know that didn't answer your question but it might be more helpful (and cheaper)in the long run. Smile
Yakworld.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I think Ben Harris also has a tutorial on his site.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Jeff,

I'm pretty good at gaffs, but really don't have the spare time. However, I would recommend you contact "Neil Lester", he's one of the best around. Smile

Contact info:

http://www.cardsbymartin.com/

Email: cardsbymartin2@juno.com

Phone: (661)948-1315
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Steve, I have been in contact with Neil and Gary Plant and both will make the gaffs for $9.00 a piece. 18 cards at $9.00 each makes for a really expensive trick. I'm looking for someone who can do them cheaper.

Jeff
Available for order now:

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I doubt you will find anyone who will work any cheaper Jeff. Good quality gaffs take time, believe me. I wish you the best of luck in your quest, and remember, you get what you pay for. Smile
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Go to Ben Harris' site

http://www.wowbound.com/

click on trisck2do and there is a good card splitting tutorial there.

It takes some practice but may be worth it.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
yellowguy
View Profile
New user
Canada
17 Posts

Profile of yellowguy
First put a card at the edge of a table and take a brand new blade out of a utility knife and start 'filleting' the card from the middle outwards one strip at a time. If you start from the edge, you'll ruin the card. It take's a little bit of time to get the hang of it, but I can split one pretty quick. Of course with this method you lose half the card.. but hey, I can't split it the other way.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5941 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Tom "the card stud" here:

I split cards with ease, but first a story...

I bought a small pamphlet called "How to Make Your Own Card Tricks" when I was about 13 or 14. I guess I was into the creative thing even at that early age.

The guy at the store said it was really good. As I rode my bike home I thought of all the great tricks I was going to invent.

Imagine my horor when I got home to find it was, "How to Make Your Own Trick Cards". I ranted and raved for about an hour but within three hours was splitting cards like a pro.

So, yes, I can split 'em. I can gaff 'em. Private message me, Jeff, and either tell me where you are getting hung up in splitting or tell me what you're after...maybe it'll end up in AM/PM Smile

I will help out in whichever way works best for you.

Cheers,
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
3784 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
You the man Tom. Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5941 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Thanks.

Oh, I was kidding about "the card stud" line Smile
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
A secret that a friend of mine stumbled on to one day is to soak a deck of cards in the sink, full of water. This will cause all three of the layers to come apart, then press them between towels and the largest stack of books that you can find.

Also try Expert Card Technique. but you already tried this, so my helpful hint on the process located within those pages is to tap the corner of the card on a table until it starts to fray. Then slowly peel the thicker side away from the thin side. What I mean by this is lay the thin side on the table, holding it there with your thumb, and peel the thick side away from that corner. Do this diagonally across the card.

Good Luck.

ouT.

Spydur
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Actually, that method of splitting has been published in many books, including some 100 years old or more. Most people went to "dry splitting" because it is faster and easier.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Thanks to everyone for the info. I have tried the table method and don't have the time or the patience to do it.

Has anyone had good results trying to print cards on your home computer?

Jeff
Available for order now:

J R Thomas
View Profile
Regular user
Champaign Illinois
138 Posts

Profile of J R Thomas
There is defintely a knack or art to splitting cards. Don England has a tape on how to do it and make gaffs. It's from a lecture he gave at Abbott's back in the ninties. E-mail me if you would like to get in contact with him.

I think it is like other magic skills you have to put the time in to be able to do it. In this case you also have to put the cards in.

Good Luck

JR
Those who hear not the music

Think the dancers mad
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:

Thanks to everyone for the info. I have tried the table method and don't have the time or the patience to do it.

Has anyone had good results trying to print cards on your home computer?

Re splitting cards, I don't consider myself an especially patient person, but I can split cards with ease using the tap-corner-on-table method. In other words, I don't think patience or time is an issue. You may be doing something wrong.

Re printing from computer. I've experimented with this for ages. Not very good news. With a good quality hi-spec inket printer, and good blank cards stock, you can achieve... fairly disappointing results. There is no inkjet printer setting that will deliver the results you want to an acceptable quality, and the cards tend to take a lot of drying time too. I've experimented with artists' fixative spray as well and spray varnish, to try and achieve an acceptable finish, but results are variable and generally dissatisfactory.

So what's the answer? One is to buy transparent inkjet labels, where each label is larger than a card's face. Print on to the transparent label (thereby getting perfect print quality), affix label to card, trim round edges. This may prove acceptable, depending on what you are trying to achieve.

Otherwise, the cheapest option is to track down your nearest printer who can handle what is called silkscreen printing. This delivers perfect results, but you may have to become a bit of an entrepreneur to make it financially worthwhile. Basically, if you think other magi may be interested in the same gaffs you're trying to make, then print up x number of sets and sell them at a profit.

http://www.ian-rowland.com. The most amazing cards in the world and the famous Levitating Cat.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I was having tons of trouble doing it.

I emailed Jeff McBride and he had Scott Hitchcock email me and told me how to do it. After reading his email I split the first card and have been able to do it ever since. Email me and I will be happy to tell you.

I would not soak them in water I have not been able to get a wrinkle free card.

It does not takes that long.

let me know IT's not hard.

Bill
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Jeff,

When I first tried splitting cards, my intial thought was "This is *$&@ing impossible!" After ruining a few cards, I eventually got the knack of it. Now, it seems so easy that I wonder how I ever had so much trouble with it. So my advice is keep trying. Don’t let the initial failures deter you. As with many things in card magic, you get the hang of it right around the time you are ready to throw in the towel. Once you get it, you’ll have the skill at your fingertips anytime you need it.

As with others here, feel free to email me for more specific pointers.

Jim Smile
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
With practice, anyone can learn to split cards well. The REAL trick is to re-laminate them so that they're properly aligned and perfectly flat.

Toward that end, Todd Lassen makes a special metal press that allows anyone to do a perfect job of building gaff cards using just the press, a household iron, and that "special something". Todd can be reached at klarentz@aol.com.

Regards,

Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
I just want to publicly acknowledge Bill's (flourish dude) help in splitting. After many hours...and many cards...of frustration, Bill's tips brought me over the hump. I've done 4 in a row now...perfectly!

Just wanted to say "Thanx Bill" publicly. You da man!