The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: What's the best Card's across routine you've ever seen? (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of swayne100
Anyone have a favorite?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
My favorite cards across routines are when a specific thought of card makes the trip from one place to another. My favorites in this category are Simon Aronson's Red-See Passover and Daryl's Crossed Thought.

There are also more standard versions where some number of non-specific cards move. My favorites here that require palming are Barrie Richardson's Airplane Cards and the Paul Daniels version. My favorite that requires no palming is Bill Malone's handling of Paul Harris' Las Vegas Leaper.

If you want to pursue this plot further I strongly recommend Paul Hallas' book Across the Void which discusses several dozen routines and handlings and compares their various strengths and weaknesses. Don't know if it still available from Paul but you can probably find a used one somewhere.

Good luck!
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1194 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Scott Alexander's version makes me smile...

Cody S. Fisher
To Sign Up For My Members Only FREE Monthly Videos Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck / Comedy Book Test / Las Vegas Aces / Three Ropes & 1000 Laughs
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
Tamariz's cards across is maybe the most amazing thing I've ever seen.
El Mystico
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of El Mystico
Johnny Paul's.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Another great one (although it is gaffed) is Phil Goldstein's (AKA Max Maven) "Shinkansen"
http://www.magicbookreport.com/2012/02/f......ldstein/

Demo by Mr Keyl Smile (3rd video down)

By the way, glad to see some new content on the site. Will you be doing High Caliber (even though you already covered a bunch in your Bannon triple pack) ? Love the site Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
David Rhodes
View Profile
Loyal user
282 Posts

Profile of David Rhodes
One issue I have with cards across is that the first climax telegraphs the second because as soon as some cards are missing/added in one packet the other packet is almost redundant. Although I prefer adding to the first packet to steal from the second approach as I believe it hides the method a little better.

Whilst it does not fit my character Eddie Fecter has a great one with the 8/12 card trick because it feels like the performer has no idea what is happening and in all the magic a lot of the method is hidden.

I personally use Paul Harris LVL with only one packet much like the method Ammar does on his videos. Although I always load 3 card to the spectators pocket for a repeat phase.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2986 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
Zens is a classic. I think it's from Tarbell. Helder Guimaraes has a cool non-gaffed version where the travelling cards are from a different colored deck. There is a lot of similarity among the gaffed versions viz. Daryl, Dave Solomon, Max Maven. Ricky Jay did one on TV long ago that just used a Jinx Switch as I recall. I really like the Zens routine.

Mike
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2539 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Thought of cards: I'll add another couple of versions to the mix. Dan Harlan put out a version called Red Rover. It's very similar to a cards across idea from The Secrets of Brother John Hamman.

Classic Sleight-of-Hand: there's a really nice one described in Al Baker's Magical Ways and Means. (The hands used in the explanation weren't Al Baker's hands. A young Jay Marshall did the hand modeling.)

Overall Sensation: Tamariz, Tamariz, Tamariz. I'll never forget the first time I saw him do his version. It took my breath away.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Is Tamariz' routine in print anywhere or is it just performance-only?
David Rhodes, how do you do LVL with just one packet? Are cards added or taken away from the packet? Sounds like a cool idea but I've never seen it done that way so I'm not sure what you mean.
Thanks for the shout out, Poof-Daddy!

B2B Magazine Test!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
I don't remember the name if anyone could help, but I love the simplicity and directness of the bill Malone handling that's pretty much ALL palming. Thin it's was on one of the 'on the loose' tapes?
K
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
929 Posts

Profile of Martino
Steven Keyl,

Tamariz' routine is explained on one of his International Magic lecture videos.

Tamariz' routine is excellent but IMO the best cards across routine bar none is Mac King's Cloak of Invisibility.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Thanks for the info, Martino! I'll check out Mac King's routine as well.

B2B Magazine Test!

twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The best I've EVER seen was Tamariz. He FLOORED a roomful of magicians at a lecture. He had a man openly count out 7 cards from the deck and place them into his jacket pocket. He had a female count out 10 cards. Each time he counted the female's cards there was 1 less card until she legitimately counted 7. The man took the cards that he counted and handled the entire time and he had 13. Tamariz legitimately never went near the guy during the trick. Made a HUGE deal of keeping space between them. The explanation was even more brilliant.
Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
787 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
Jared Kopf has an excellent thought of card across that I use all the time.
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1882 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Mac King and Scott Alexander stage wise. Close up Tamariz
PASCAL
View Profile
Loyal user
France
270 Posts

Profile of PASCAL
Hi ALL
For my opinion , ALAN SHAXON is very very good !
name : "three cards again"
so clean , you can use it on stage , parlour ...

pascal
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2014, Steven Keyl wrote:

If you want to pursue this plot further I strongly recommend Paul Hallas' book Across the Void which discusses several dozen routines and handlings and compares their various strengths and weaknesses. Don't know if it still available from Paul but you can probably find a used one somewhere.

Good luck!

The book is available as an e-book from www.lybrary.com.

One Tamariz version can be found in his book "Sonata". Meir Yedid has a version inspired by that in, amongst other places, "Across The Void" .
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2014, twistedace wrote:
The best I've EVER seen was Tamariz. He FLOORED a roomful of magicians at a lecture. He had a man openly count out 7 cards from the deck and place them into his jacket pocket. He had a female count out 10 cards. Each time he counted the female's cards there was 1 less card until she legitimately counted 7. The man took the cards that he counted and handled the entire time and he had 13. Tamariz legitimately never went near the guy during the trick. Made a HUGE deal of keeping space between them. The explanation was even more brilliant.

So, according to your description, not only do three cards mysteriously travel from one packet to the other, but an ADDITIONAL three cards appear out of nowhere? Wow, that's a bloody MIRACLE!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Chuck Faynes
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain