The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: I Dream of Mind Reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
This trick was mentioned in another thread and have looked into it
anyone got this and is it a worker? or not suitable in close up situations?
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I learned it from Joshua Jay's DVD set, Talk About Tricks, where several variations are discussed. All are very good. The surprise ending packs a punch. The only drawback I can think of in a close-up setting is that you would not want to be completely surrounded, but as long as there is nobody watching from behind you, you should be fine.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
It's good method wise and really easy. The only thing I don't have for it is a script. I'm still working on that.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I hate that people have finally discovered this trick. I've been using it for years. Here are a couple of performances of it with my presentation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZADz_dAvlkM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZGWQKy82gw
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1002 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Does anyone remember the issue of MAGIC that it was in?

Thanks in advance.

T.J.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 22:50, ThomasJ wrote:

Thanks in advance.

T.J.

I'll check the talk about tricks dvd to see if it gets mentioned. Although I recommend if you are just going to learn it, get the new manuscript vanishinginc put out recently. Probably has the most recent workings/script to it.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
It does. It includes the original handling, which is what I use, and Josh's handling, which is a little easier.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 22:50, ThomasJ wrote:

Thanks in advance.

T.J.

December, 2003
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
I thought the whole beauty of this trick is NOT showing other side of the cards till the end ...as a suprise. What happened?
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
Matze
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Matze
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 04:59, Bertrand Thornley wrote:
I thought the whole beauty of this trick is NOT showing other side of the cards till the end ...as a suprise. What happened?

exactly what I was thinking.
the great thing was that the spectator thinks there is some mathematical secret to it,and then after you announce the thought of card you show all the cards are blank
qkeli
View Profile
Special user
paris,france
793 Posts

Profile of qkeli
Sure, for me also, that's the big surprise that kills them !!
Agaton
View Profile
Loyal user
Manila
299 Posts

Profile of Agaton
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 23:24, Jeff Corn wrote:
It does. It includes the original handling, which is what I use, and Josh's handling, which is a little easier.

I also use Josh's handling in his lecture tour DVD. Easier for the spectator to handle at least.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5938 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Jeff has changed the picture. Nice frame of "they imagine a card, pull it out of a fan, and the magician names it". My question is:

Did he sacrifice too much to get there using this method?
ThomasJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1002 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 00:51, Magiguy wrote:
December, 2003

Much appreciated.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
I am a little confused with the first video Jeff presented in his post above. In it, the spectator sticks a card into the middle of the deck when he asks, "if it was a red card, stick a card in the middle of the deck." He then asks, "If it was a Spade or Diamond, place one card on the bottom", which she doesn't. He then reveals that the selected card is the Jack of Spades. Anybody else catch that? Am I missing something?

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
Matze
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Matze
Quote:
On 2009-08-23 15:16, S.Segal wrote:
I am a little confused with the first video Jeff presented in his post above. In it, the spectator sticks a card into the middle of the deck when he asks, "if it was a red card, stick a card in the middle of the deck." He then asks, "If it was a Spade or Diamond, place one card on the bottom", which she doesn't. He then reveals that the selected card is the Jack of Spades. Anybody else catch that? Am I missing something?

S.Segal

I was wondering about the same thing..
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Yeah. She heard "Jack of" and reacted. I actually missed. I didn't realize that until well after I put the video up and one of my friends pointed that out.

As for the point of me giving too much away for the ending, I don't think so. The blank deck finish gets a great reaction because of the surprise, but my presentation has always gotten a great reaction based on the fact that it's impossible.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5938 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
You miss my point, Jeff. Is there a more direct way to get to that final picture? The current process is laborious and a bit choppy.

I agree that the blank deck ending is a surprise, where as your ending is somewhat more miraculous.
Matze
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Matze
I think that whole procedure of the spectator moving cards aroung according to the instrucitons from the magician only make sense if you reveal the blank deck in the end as the "real" effect that makes the whole thing impossible.
otherwise I could imagine a lot of spectators will suspect some mathematical or some sort of dealing principle..
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Isn't the goal to make them assume it's mathematical, in the first place? The only problem I have with the original trick is that I've seen people actually flip the cards up and look at the faces when your backs turned. It's happened to me and others that I know. When they know the deck's blank, they never argue with the procedure and they never decide not too follow directions.