The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Volume 3 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I need to "pick some brains," get some thoughts. I've almost - almost - been talked into doing Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Volume 3. The books I had planned for it - to re-write, etc. - are Quantum Leaps, Trend Setters, The Magic Book. But, I'm having kind of second thoughts about The Magic Book - because - that was/is a book basically for beginners, although so many experienced magicians have told me that they fool other magicians with much of the stuff therein, and that they've put a lot of the items into their repertoires, etc. The only other book I can include, as the third one, is Mathematical Wizadry. But that, of course, isn't on card magic, etc., it's all stuff to do with numbers. So, what do you think? Shall I "do" The Magic Book or Mathematical Wizadry as the third book of the volume? Or do you have other suggestions? Of course, there's also my The Himber Wallet, but that really is a different "category" kind of book; no? Thanks. Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2539 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Even though it is a beginner's book, I'd put The Magic Book into your new collection. It's from the same time period as the other books, and I know that there are many magicians who would enjoy it.

Since The Magic Book was a mass market publication (Putnam, I think), is it possible to put a new version in Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Volume 3?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
dune
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of dune
While I agree that the Himber Wallet Book and Mathematical Wizadry, may be too specialized to fit into the Classical Collection series, The Magic Book should definitely be included.

Here's why:

The criteria should not be whether the book was/is for "beginners" but whether the book was/is important, and The Magic Book certainly was/is that.

Yes, it is filled with fundamental sleights and techniques, but it also has a broader array of principles, performing tips, ideas and valuable introductions to other categories (coins, routines, self-workers, numbers, mentalism, etc) that are useful to "intermediates" and "advanced."

The book belongs in the Classical Collection because it is a classic.
electric.ceu
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I have
130 Posts

Profile of electric.ceu
I love The Magic Book! My copy is over 30 years old and I still read it and use material from it. I think it would be a worthy addition to the Classical Collection.
Timothy James
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5484 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Hmmm..., Mathematical Wizardry is recent enough that it doesn't seem to need a rewrite. If you have to choose between that and The Magic Book, I would pick The Magic Book. Is there enough obscure material published in magazines and lecture notes (and potentially unpublished items) that might comprise the third section? Also..., even though I already have a copy, it might be fun to add the Professor Magic booklet in it's original form. Whatever you do decide, I'll take one!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Whatever your final decision Harry, I WILL have a copy in my library!

MMc
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Harry,

Here's my two cents. I would prefer you include "The Himber Wallet Book" because it wasn't a mass market book and it's out of print.

Here's another wild thought. How about including Dingle's Deceptions. While I know the material is Dereks, you wrote it and brought it to life.

And perhaps there's material you covered in lectures, but never put in any of your books.

Looking forward to adding CC3 to my collection.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
Harry,

Would there ever be a chance for a reprint of Star Quality? It's the only bit of your authored card stuff that's not already on my shelf. Love to see it one day. Regal's stuff is great.
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Alan M
View Profile
Elite user
California
435 Posts

Profile of Alan M
I vote for The Magic Book and/or Himber Wallet Book over Mathematical Wizardry. If you were feeling especially generous, adding a few things like The Great Divide or Numero Uno would certainly be nice for those of us that can't get our hands on Personal Collection... and hopefully doesn't give away too much of Personal Collection so as to burn those that own it. Just some thoughts...
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
348 Posts

Profile of KLG
I'd vote for The Magic Book too. Adding a few things from Personal Collection would be lovely too.

The first 2 volumes are so great. Can't wait for Vol 3.
jcroop
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of jcroop
The Magic Book. It is such an important staple for so many. Although it may be a beginner book - I never thought of it that way - there are many powerful effects inside it's covers. It would be very useful for everyone to have your updated thoughts on these classics!
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Add me to the list of 'Himber Wallet' Harry. For reasons mentioned above, there weren't too many of those around. I'll be buying all three books in the future anyway, regardless of what you put in. But, the inclusion of the Himber Wallet section might force my hand on purchasing Vol 3 sooner rather than later. Good luck with the project - be sure to let us know when its out huh? Smile
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Michigan
2904 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I'd put my vote in for the Magic Book, but will buy CC3 no matter what.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Mr. Lorayne:

I think Dingle's Deceptions would be a great choice. I HAVE the book, but I think it deserves to be included in CC3.

Or - and I KNOW this is a TALL order - what about some of YOUR best material from BOF trilogy, Apocalypse, Hugard's Magic Monthly, etc. etc.? Obviously the key word is SOME. While I would LOVE a 3000 page Harry Lorayne book, most people have gigantobibliophobia, and I doubt you would want to undertake such a massive addition. Then again, others could do most of the work as Howard Lyons, Alan Slaight, and Max Maven did for the Stewart James books.

Having said all of this, I think The Himber Wallet Book would be a better call than The Magic Book. Don't get me wrong, The Magic Book is GREAT, but I think that The Himber Wallet Book would be a better fit considering the other material in this HOPE YOU WRITE IT BOOK (none too subtle plea, but do please understand, I played an all night music gig, it is 8:48 AM EST, and I have not slept yet).

Magically, musically, and "exhaustedly" yours,
Vlad
jb201
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of jb201
The Magic Book.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I vote for The Magic Book.

By the way Harry, I caught you being interviewed at your home on a local NYC TV station. You were entertaining as usual.

Larry
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Thanks for the suggestions above, folks; I've also been getting many personal emails and phone calls. Right now, the consensus is, and I'm sort of leaning that way - to include my re-write of Dingles Deceptions - and because that's a pamphlet and not a large book, it'd give me room to include either some new stuff, or my re-write of Numero Uno and The Great Divide from Personal Collection, since so many have been asking for those two items. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6145 Posts

Profile of motown
Harry,

That's really great to hear. Keep us posted.

Craig
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
882 Posts

Profile of e-man
I am excited!
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
Father Photius
View Profile