The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Sandwich Plot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
I'm working on a sandwich effect right now where the card can't be loaded using the standard sandwich move. Right now, I'm playing with it being second from top, but it's still lacking. Can someone point me in the direction of some sources that may have tackled this?

Thanks
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I don't quite understand the situation.

Where are the two sandwich cards and where is the selection, and what do you want to accomplish?
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Sorry, I could've clarified. I have two cards set aside, Kings for example. I want to sandwich the selection between them, but because of the nature of the effect I want to achieve, I can't load the selection off the top of the deck, as is done with the standard loading move.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Can you cop the card off the bottom and load it that way? Peter Eggink uses this method in a lot of his work. I've used it before too, but a lot of people are afraid of copping cards. There's another thread about that somewhere in here.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Can you not displace the single card then do the standered load?

Or, how about this?

Procure a break below the top two cards of the deck (indifferent card and the selection below it). Do the pick-up and load move. You know have TWO cards in between the kings.

Do your magic action, and spread the cards, using a modified Ascanio action. It appears that the selection has now appeared in between the two kings (you are holding a double between them.

Square the sandwich, leaving the double outjogged. Flash the face, then use your index finger to push the bottom card of the double flush with the kings. Remove the outjogged face down card, place it inside the deck, and you are immediately set to repeat the sandwich effect, with the cards in the spectators hands.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
Do you want the two sandwich cards to ever come in contact with the deck after they are removed?? Where are you controlling the selection to? If to the top, you can top palm, if bottom then as Brian suggested, I would cop it off the bottom. I think we may need a bit more information as to what you really want to achieve...

Michael
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I assumed you meant the selection was second from the top....

Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Currently I am playing with the selection being second from the top because I need to hide the nature of the selection, it's going to be signed across the back (it can't be signed on the face). One idea that was suggested to me by a friend was having it be second from the top and using R&S to hide the extra card. This seems to be the best idea going so far, but I'm trying to find something a little cleaner.
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Well if the cards are allowed to come in contact with the deck, you can load it after instead of doing the standard way of showing both cards. There are other ways such as palming off the card, etc. Depends on what you need to accomplish.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Here is a very nice solution I just thought of.

Playing with it now I find it is actually BETTER then the slandered load in many respects.

Get a break below the top two cards of the deck in the left hand.

Pick up the two kings in biddle grip with your right hand, the outer right corners pushed against the side of the third finger.

Place the cards on the deck, still holding them with the right hand, half on half off. Using your left hand fingers push the second card (the selection, just above the break) out underneath the two kings until it contacts the third finger of the right hand (causing it to be flush with the kings).

At the same time, your left thumb is on top of the upper king, holding it in place (still half way off the deck). Pull out the second king, a double with the face-down selection below it, and place it on top of the other king, side jogged to the right.

You have now loaded the selection, hidden the back, and the BACK OF THE DECK WAS NEVER OUT OF SIGHT!

That should work.

If not, lets keep brainstorming. I'm mad bored...

Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
Quote:
On 2007-02-15 14:09, Nordatrax wrote:
Here is a very nice solution I just thought of.

Playing with it now I find it is actually BETTER then the slandered load in many respects.

Get a break below the top two cards of the deck in the left hand.

Pick up the two kings in biddle grip with your right hand, the outer right corners pushed against the side of the third finger.

Place the cards on the deck, still holding them with the right hand, half on half off. Using your left hand fingers push the second card (the selection, just above the break) out underneath the two kings until it contacts the third finger of the right hand (causing it to be flush with the kings).

At the same time, your left thumb is on top of the upper king, holding it in place (still half way off the deck). Pull out the second king, a double with the face-down selection below it, and place it on top of the other king, side jogged to the right.

You have now loaded the selection, hidden the back, and the BACK OF THE DECK WAS NEVER OUT OF SIGHT!

That should work.

If not, lets keep brainstorming. I'm mad bored...

That's a nice solution. There are a few ways to do it without doing anything fishy on top of the deck just adding the card underneath the two kings. Jason Alford has something called "Sandwich Subtlety" that accomplishes this, where the card is loaded in the process of fairly showing the two kings.

Cody
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
That's a very interesting idea. I'll have to play around with that. Thanks.
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Look into Vallarino's "Sandwich Express." It might be something you would appreciate.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
That does sound interesting. I'll have to put his video on my list. I'm a fan of his work anyway. Thanks.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
863 Posts

Profile of magico
You may also want to check out Bill Goldman's Monkey In The Middle.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
When you place two face up Kings on the top, have pinky break below 4 cards. Right thumb riffle down the lowermost card of the 4 cards. You place left thumb on the face and peel second and third cards with right hand to show two face up Kins. Then insert right hand cards into the pinky break.

Hideo Kato
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Why would monkey in the middle help? The back is signed and monkey in the middle woul not help.

I would suggest using a move out of the center(and of course any move from center can generally be done second from top).

Tyler Wilson's "Dirty stinkin ape" load takes it from the middle to being sandwhiched, or a simple sidesteal with top card cover would get it into position.

Or even using Aaron Fisher's halfpass handling of the sandwich load would get past seeing the back.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
863 Posts

Profile of magico
Quote:
On 2007-02-15 23:25, Daegs wrote:
Why would monkey in the middle help? The back is signed and monkey in the middle woul not help.

I would suggest using a move out of the center(and of course any move from center can generally be done second from top).

Tyler Wilson's "Dirty stinkin ape" load takes it from the middle to being sandwhiched, or a simple sidesteal with top card cover would get it into position.

Or even using Aaron Fisher's halfpass handling of the sandwich load would get past seeing the back.

Your right I miss the part where the card is signed on the back.

Magico
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
In Dear Mr. Fantasy by John Bannon there is an instantaneous sandwich effect that uses no loads. In fact the spec places the the kings onto the cards. Faro shuffle, spread the deck and there it is sandwiched between the kings. Card can be signed on either the face or the back.
Magic is a vanishing art.
MagicT
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1248 Posts

Profile of MagicT
Check out MARLO.

Best,
Trini
Trini Montes