The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Blizzard question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Hey all

I've got a quick question about Dean Dill's 'Blizzard'. I know how the effect is done, so I'm not hunting for any privileged information.

I bought myself a blank deck and was going to make the requisite gimmick out of card.

However, I recently saw 'Blizzard' for sale on eBay for much less than the usual price, so thought I'd buy it. Trouble is, when I received it, the gimmick supplied was made of card - not steel as I had expected.

My question is this: does the original version come with a steel version of the gimmick? If it does, I feel I've been somewhat ripped off.

I hope this post is not off-topic..

Syd
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
No, the orignal version comes with the gimmick made out of a card ****. You can buy and use a steel one if you'd like, the only place that sells them that I know of is ellusionist.com, but the cardboard one works good enough for me.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Dean makes them from real Bike Cardboard Card Boxes.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I hope you bought an Dean Dill made one and not a ripoff version. On second thought I kinda didn't like the fact that you were going to make your own and not pay Dean for his creative work.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Ok, thanks for your replies. I think I may buy a steel gimmick at some point.

Pete Biro, I'm afraid I'm on a very tight budget. I do buy original effects when I can afford it and when I feel it is worth the money. But I do not necessarily share your views on always buying things.

Agreed, 'Blizzard' is a great effect, and well worth the money for the secret. But the same cannot be said about many marketed effects. The magic industry is full of scams and weak effects which do not justify the cost. I am a proponent of 'value-for-money' and spend acordingly.

My justification for making the gimmick for 'Blizzard' was simply a matter of finances. I wanted to try the effect before committing to it. This is how I usually make my purchasing decisions. Only in magic, it seems, is this not usually possible.

Anyway, I have bought the original now, so no matter.

Syd
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Quote:
On 2006-05-27 14:58, Pete Biro wrote:
Dean makes them from real Bike Cardboard Card Boxes.

You don't say...
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
The original is card, and second...why would you want a steel gimmick. I would imagine that it wouldn't look too natural and there is no obvious benefit for having a steel gimmick. It's heavier, looks different, and feels different should the spectator grab. Yes I have had spectators grab the box. You weren't ripped off is the point.
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Steve, the steel gimmick and cardboard different look exactly the same. I can have both of them out on my table and can't tell the difference myself. It shouldn't matter what they feel if the spectator grabed the box, the trick is ruined either way, because it exposes whats happening. It is a bit heaiver, but it makes the trick easier because cards won't get stuck on box when doing the "move".
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
larrylegal
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
138 Posts

Profile of larrylegal
Question about flap: I just received Blizzard and was wondering how you work with the flap that hangs off the shell, or do most cut it off. I assume that it was specifically made like that for a reason; maybe to look more like an open card box, but it seems to get in the way. I do not want to alter it until I hear what others have done. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Larry

That's a good question.. I was wondering the same myself.

Hopefully someone will know the answer to that!

Syd
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
Pete Biro, I'm afraid I'm on a very tight budget. I do buy original effects when I can afford it and when I feel it is worth the money. But I do not necessarily share your views on always buying things.

If I don't have a TV, and want one real bad but have no money, can I come to your house and take yours?
syd_uk
View Profile
New user
London, UK
81 Posts

Profile of syd_uk
Silverking

I think you've all mistaken me for a rip-off merchant. That is really not the case. When I have the money, I am more than happy to fork out for effects I think are worth it.

But to stretch your analogy. If you want a tv, can't afford one, so decide to make your own instead. That's fine by me. It's not like I stole anything. I just said that I had considered making my own version of the commercial effect.

In the end, I decided to buy the original effect anyway - even though I knew the secret and had the components to perform it.

If you want to start trashing people for not respecting the art of magic, you'd do better than to start with me.

Syd
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I own blizzard and had thought about using a steel gimmick, if I could find one, because the cardboard one tends to "ride up" sometimes on me, exposing what is underneith. I think a heavier gimmick may make the handling easier and keep it in place better.

At any rate, I just do a different DS for now.
Mike Lowry
View Profile
New user
Canada
79 Posts

Profile of Mike Lowry
I own and perform Blizzard and I don't think that ripping the flap off would be necessary. The box laying on the table should look as if you had just taken the cards out and laid the box down in front of you. An open card box on the table would look natural if you don't draw attention to it. If you take the cards out of a box you usually leave it open in your pocket or laying on the table. If you're having problems with the flap lifting the box up, just fold the flap back more. Usually when I make "the move" I just push the box aside and out of the focus area so that no one tries to go for it. I've done this surrounded and if you do it non-chalantly, no one will suspect anything. No one has asked about it since I have been performing it (although I'm sure the day will come). Just try to be as casual with it as possible. I would recommend practicing with it over and over until you can do it with your eyes closed (like anything else) and then you'll get to the point where you won't have to worry about those things or at least, be able to think on your feet when they do happen.
tanselkaya
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of tanselkaya
Does anyone use double sided tape to turn the last remaining card to blank?

I kind of like the idea of memory and amnesia for blizzard. I tell them that sometimes people come up to me and tell me of magicians they saw as kids. 40 years later they still can remember the tricks. I tell them that I wish I could perform magic that strong.

During the effect the cards of other suites disappear first. They are forgotten. The rest of the deck disappears next. Finally the spectator forgets about the last card and goes on with his/her life.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Dean just sent me a Blizzard and I read thru it over a bowl of cereal this morning.
I think it is great. I leave the flap open and extended and bent up enough that it does not make the box ride up.

As far as making the selection disappear? Why dillute a perfectly good miracle.
Making it disappear takes it from a miracle down to a "trick".
Keep it simple and direct.

Of course I could be wrong. Try it both ways and really really study the difference in reaction. And be honest with yourself. If the vanish is not a LOT stronger than the first revelation (that it's the only non-blank card) then it's anti-climatic and a mistake.

This is what is known as the "gotta-adda-kicka" mentality.
Nothing wrong with considering the possibilities.
Sometimes you just don't need one. I think this is one of those times.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
tanselkaya
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of tanselkaya
Hi Frank, I agree with you that simplicity and economy adds a lot to an effect. I'll see if I can experiment this week with Blizzard and evaluate the timing and the reactions. Thanks a lot.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think everyone goes thru a phase where they learn a new effect and immediatley start to toy with it and try to make it "better". Often without ever even trying it the original way themselves. This is usually early on.

I think the best approach is to try it the standard way, to learn and understand why it's done that way, and see where it naturally takes you over the years.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.