The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Etch a Sketch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
rambam
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of rambam
Hey,
How about this for a card effect; A person picks a card and puts it back in the deck. The deck is put away and the magician takes out an etch a sketch board. After turning the nobs a couple times an image apears, it is their card!! I am really interested to know if this has already been created (if so, by who?), I Have a method/ idea but I need someone to help with the gimmick. Any Thoughts?
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
I've never heard of anything like that... Sounds good.
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
rambam
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of rambam
Thanx,
there can be a way to have 4 cards picked, and also this can be done totally impromptu!
steve_sargent
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of steve_sargent
Nice idea! A remote controlled, motorised Etch a Sketch would be fun to own too! Maybe you could put a Etch a Sketch "Shell" around asmall laptop or palm device. Great for kids shows.
"Easy to do and completely angle proof"
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
I love the idea. I'd love to see it and perform it.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
It really depends on how you want to perform it if you want to have it draw it visible in front of the spectator I am fresh out of ideas, but you could just f**** a card and then pretend to draw it or say that you made a prediction earlier. Hope this helps Smile

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
rambam
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of rambam
Nice idea, but I was thinking more of an impromptu effect, where the spectator sees a blank etch a sketch and then magically the magician draws the selected card!
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
That's good, but drawing a card on an etch-a-sketch is pretty tough, and it would take way to long. The spec would get pretty board...
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
rambam
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of rambam
See that is why one has to build an electronic etch a sketch, that has four reset card drwaings inside of it, and when the magicican turns the nob, it starts to draw it!!
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
That's a pretty complex way of doing things..

If you know how an etch a sketch works, its easy to get it to draw a particular preset shape...

(Found on a quick internet search)

Inside is aluminium powder, this sticks to pretty much everything.

When you shake an etch a sketch, it just sticks more aluminium powder to the screen. When you turn the knobs, it just scratches off part of the aluminium powder which creates the line.

You could just use the shape of the card cut out of plastic to rub against the back of it, and remove the aluminium powder, which would form an impression of the shape. Sure as hell a lot easier than making it electronically draw it.

Then you just have to come up with a way of pressing the shape against the screen from the inside, which should be pretty easy to do. I can think of a couple of ways off the top of my head.

I just made up that method, so I have no clue if it would actually work.

Or yeah, you could go for the mechanical method : http://neil.fraser.name/hardware/etch/
rambam
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of rambam
Thanks for that site, but your method sounds easy but seems very messy!
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Quote:
Or yeah, you could go for the mechanical method : http://neil.fraser.name/hardware/etch/

I think that if you did it that way, the spectator might get a glimpse of the method.

This would be a BAD THING.

All exposure is bad.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
If you practiced with your etch it really wouldn't be that hard to draw just a rudamentry number and suit i.e. if it was the 5 of diamonds you could just draw 5 and a diamond. This way your range of cards you could do it with would increase to the whole deck and it would be completely impromptu and the drawing would be relatively quick. Not only that you could play it off like you are being posessed by the etch and it is making you control the knobs or you are reading their mind or something like that.

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I don,t know, maybe this is what your looking for.

From Hank Lee;s Website:

So, Mike Bent strolled into my office the other day with an Etch-A-Sketch under his arm. I dared to ask Mike "What's new?" So, he showed me.
He handed me the Etch-A-Sketch and told me to make a completely random drawing. To make it even more random, the drawing was done with the board upside down so I couldn't see the screen.

While I was doing my drawing, Mike stood with his back to me, holding a small sketch pad and a marker. He thought and drew and drew and thought.

I finished my drawing and turned the board over. Mike immediately showed what he had drawn.

Both drawings matched exactly!! miracle of mental magic!

Mike Bent's Catch-a-Sketch is a great routine. Perfect for kids and adults. Easy to do, it comes with special gimmick, full instructions, patter and routine. Supply your own Etch-A-Sketch (available at all toy stores).

Details

Price: $ 19.95
mshanker
View Profile
New user
Frankfort, KY
84 Posts

Profile of mshanker
You could use an easier prop: Magna-doodle instead of an Etch-a-Sketch. I think you can pick up the mini-ones for about a dollar, and the full-size ones for $15 or so.

Manoj
Manoj