The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: New idea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
b ferguson
View Profile
New user
Canada
25 Posts

Profile of b ferguson
Hey,

While I was standing in my room this morning, I came up with this idea for a trick. I don't know if this is already invented but if not, tell me what you think.

Have 2 spectators to the left and right of you. The one on the left is Spectator 1 and the one on the right is Spectator 2.

Get Spectator 1 to pick a card and put it in the deck where ever they wish. You control it to the second card of the pack.

Second spectator selects a card and you
"lose it in the pack" but you control it to the third position in the deck. Now you have Spec. 1 card 2nd from top and Spec. 2 card 3rd from top. Now you flip over the top card and show it to Spec. 1.

Ask him if that's his card, he will say no. Then you do a shapshifter change, (chameleon change) but you pick up 2 cards under the top card instead of 1.

You then change the card, and ask if that's his card. he will say no.
It is actually Spec. 2 card, so be careful not to show Spec 2.
Now flip it over as a double and take the top card (Spec. 1 card) and show it to Spec. 2. he will say no, that's not my card.

Now you say, well, Spec. 1 must be mistaken because I think it is your card, you show it to Spec. 1 and it is his card, he is amazed.

Then you go to show the card to Spec. 2 but, as you turn, you do a top change.
No, that is, his card. He is amazed because you just showed him the card earlier, but, it wasnt his.

The spectators think that they both picked the same card, but they didn't.

This is just an idea. I was in a rush to write this message so if you have any problems email me at
greengorilla@hotmail.com

thanks
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
Wow Brandon!

Well thought out routine that would probably go over very well!

Have you tried it out yet? Reminds me of misnaming a card and the typical reaction that comes from it! Sounds terrific! Smile
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The plot is not new, goes back to the 1950’s and The Magic Wand magazine, Gerald De Bott (name from memory). I had a sleight free version in my book "Son of Totat" and in the seventies suggested a jumbo card version to Peter Greenwood who did incorporate it into his act for a time.

With someone standing on your left and right, I am unsure about the practicality of the displays/changes on top of the deck, so only one spectator at a time can see the card, but if it works okay for you, go for it, it is a fun plot. The original idea, called "The Magic Spectacles" had spectators passing magic spectacles back and forth.

When wearing the spectacles they can see their card, when they take them off, they cannot.

Eventually both cards end up in a sealed envelope in the wallet.

Paul Hallas.
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of luvisi
Could I trouble anyone for a reference on the shapeshifter change? I have seen it all over the place since Blaine did it, but I have no idea who invented it or where they published it.

I like your idea. It occurs to me that you could leave out the "failures" and actually produce the first spectator's card with the shapeshifter change, then turn it face down and rub it on the second spectator's hand to turn it into their card.

Andru
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
13023 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2001-12-30 11:32, b ferguson wrote:
Hey,
While I was standing in my room this morning, I came up with this idea for a trick.

Were you being punished? Smile

John
Randy
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
261 Posts

Profile of Randy
The Shapeshifter Change is Marc Desouza's and was originally published in an issue of The Trapdoor. I don't know if it has been published elsewhere.
The Buffalo Get-Together - A Close-Up Magic Convention
David Smyth
View Profile
Regular user
Stourbridge, UK
146 Posts

Profile of David Smyth
If you wanted to reveal each of the cards with a shapeshifter change, I've got an idea of how you could do it...
Shapeshift the first card to reveal the spectators first card, then, move your hand (with the two cards) towards the bottom of the pack and use the tips of the fingers of the hand that's holding the deck to remove the bottom card from the two (if that makes any sense, if not e-mail me), and then proceed to do the shapeshifter for each of their cards and keep on doing this move so you only ever have one or two cards in your hand at any one time...

If this doesn't make any sense (I hope it makes sense but I doubt it will) please e-mail me at
mailto:dnfs2000@btinternet.com
and I'll make you a teaching video of the move...

If any of you have seen Peter Duffie's 'Snap Happy' routine then you might get an idea of what I mean.

Thanks, (BTW great idea for a trick and good luck with it!) Smile
Back at the magic...
AndiGladwin
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
587 Posts

Profile of AndiGladwin
Quote:
On 2002-02-05 14:02, Randy wrote:
The Shapeshifter Change is Marc Desouza's and was originally published in an issue of The Trapdoor. I don't know if it has been published elsewhere.

It was published in Trapdoor #48 and in Marc's lecture notes, "The Art Of Artifice."

--Andi
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of luvisi
How does this sound:

Bring spectator one's card to third from the top. Bring spectator two's card to the top. Start with a double. Do the change with three cards. Then do the change normally with two.

Andru
David Smyth
View Profile
Regular user
Stourbridge, UK
146 Posts

Profile of David Smyth
That sounds OK. Does my post make any sense???
Back at the magic...
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of luvisi
It makes sense, but I'm not sure how to do it deceptively. A variation might be to side steal the lower card to the bottom as you replace the double...

Andru
http://www.practicenotincluded.com/
b ferguson
View Profile
New user
Canada
25 Posts

Profile of b ferguson
Thanks for all your great replies! And no, John Cesta, I was not punished. But I was supposed to be doing homework! hehehe

~ B r a n d o n
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Hey guys,

also be sure to check out Raphael Benatar's version of this trick.

Take care,

Dorian Rhodell
David Smyth
View Profile
Regular user
Stourbridge, UK
146 Posts

Profile of David Smyth
luvisi, that's exactly what I meant - I'd just forgotten what it was called... Smile
Back at the magic...
Enigma
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
41 Posts

Profile of Enigma
I personally have played with the idea myself... BUT... I have come to find out it gets tedious... and with out the right venue and people willing to stick with you... it is too long and drawn out... but that is just me.

Enigma Smile Smile
You got to stand for something or you will fall for anything .... unless you are tired and you need to lay down or at least sit down then it is ok not to stand, my own opinion of course.

Enigma