The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Whichita slip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
I saw this in one of Sankey's video.
Do any of you use this force?
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1228 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
I have, but it's kinda fancy for a force.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
No.
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
It is a kind of fun way to force a card when it doesn't matter that everyone can see the face of the card. It is also kind of a knacky force.
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
No... (Thanks for the tip, Bill...)

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Yes, I use this force and enjoy it. I only use it for my show though. I don't use it if someone says "show me a trick." I think it is not ideal for very very closeup. It looks ok, but not quite right. The only thing I don't like about it is that there are plenty of other forces where you say stop "wherever" you want. To the spectator, they all look the same, but in reality, with the whichita slip, it actually is a completely free stopping point. More of a force for magician's than laymen, but worth learning.
Dann
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I like it but wouldn't use it exclusively.
The fact that the back of the force is hidden makes it a nice sleight and useful in some situations.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Jaz,
If you need to force a card without the back being seen use the standard riffle force to force the top card of the bottom half.

On Cultural Exchange 2 there's a very nice idea for having such a card signed in a way that seems very natural in context and it's designed for work in environments where people can't hear you speaking...(loud clubs, etc.)

Combine it with a side glide to quietly show the 'back' of the card and you have one heck of a strong tool.
blazes816
View Profile
Special user
Wichita, Kansas
522 Posts

Profile of blazes816
Was this by chance created by one on the Stevens clan?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Wsduncan,

I'm not sure I'm understanding you when you say:
"If you need to force a card without the back being seen use the standard riffle force to force the top card of the bottom half."

I can see this working with the bottom card of the top half but not as you explain it.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I personally haven't gotten the hang of it. It is sick looking at his video seeing how fast and seemless he can do the move, as well as the pass. It's crazy. But I think it is a bit too much effort for forcing a card on someone.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Raise the entire top half (the 'stopped at' point) so the spectator can see the face of the card (but not the back.

As you lower the top half back to normal position you cna use the other hands fingers to perform a "side glide" action taking the second from the bottom (of the top half) card to so that you can outjog it, cut it into the middle of the botto half, etc. That allows the "back" to be seen before the change is revealed.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Hmmm... This is interesting.
Jaz, do you use this force for an effect where the back changes color or something to that effect. I had not thought of it before, but it might be a good idea.
Dann
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Dann,
Wichita Slip, Sankey demonstrates with a hand written message.
Example:
Three cards would be forced.
One card reads, "You".
Second reads, "picked".
Third reads, "these."
It appears to be free choice, and the backs are apparently seen prior to their being turned face up.

Also if the deck is red backed, and the forces blue, it could be used as a sort of "Brainwave" effect where the selected card(s) are a different color.
I find the WS useful.
where it should have been:
"riffle force to force the bottom card of the top half."

Makes more sense this way.
Thanks.
stannmaple
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of stannmaple
Jaz,
Thanks for the info. That is clever. I learned the whichita slip from the very best of series as well as at his lecture. This is a new effect to me. I never even thought of the advantage that you don't see the back of the card (even though you think you do) Thanks again for the response.
Dann
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I finally decided to start practicing this move, and I have to say, it's a lot of fun. I still haven't used it for anything, but I like playing with it. Who knows, eventually I may even "slip" it into a performance.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
For some reason I just cannot do it. Too much work when there are easier methods to do the same thing.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
I find it not easy to do the move. Smile

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
I use it, but only in certain situations. I really like Sankey's Three Times Lucky effect. It's a great little impromptu stunner. It's the perfect context for the Wichita Slip - single or multiple bottom forces with a dribbled 'say stop' selection. But you can't repeat it too often, and you have to have the right body language. Make a big deal of the selection, saying that people can choose a different card if they want to, etc. Then do the move as you relax and exhale, on the offbeat.

Sankey's advice to buckle the bottom card is not something that I think is necessary, and I think it makes the move more difficult. Just use a light touch and you shouldn' have a problem with dealing out more than one card.

Again, it's not exactly a "workhorse" force. It's only good for special circumstances.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I just don't like the Wichata Slip. Doesn't look natural to me and certainly natural is something you want to strive for when forcing.

To force a card and not let the back be seen, use the one bannon uses in a few effects such as "Tattoo You", for instance.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.