The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Mark Wilson's CCIM Double Lift (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Chris Calabrese
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
44 Posts

Profile of Chris Calabrese
Would the double lift described in "Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic" on page 83 be considered the "definitive" double lift? I know there are many ways to do it, but, as a beginner, would I be wrong in studying and mastering that version for starters, or should I look elsewhere?
~ Chris Calabrese ~
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Chris,
Most any two card turnover will do as long as you learn one lesson.

When you turn over a playing card, if you are really doing it, you don't watch the card turn over.

Most card workers look at their hands while they're doing the lift. Learn to do it by watching in the mirror and never look at the deck until the card is face up.

If you stare at the card as it's being handled you are telling the audience that there is something important that needs their attention.
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
We discussed this before. Watch most people when they turn over a card. In most cases they will watch their hands when they do so.

Get your dl technique nice and clean and you'll have no problem with anyone looking at your hands while you do the DL.

Not looking at your hands is unnatural in many cases. Quite often you want someone to look at a card as you flip it over.

A well done double will fool no matter what...
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well then, since there is obviously a direct conflict of opinions here, perhaps the answer lies in the attitude we convey with our eyes and body as we do the DL.

If you are uncomfortable doing the DL, then you will telegraph that to your spectators, arousing suspicion. If, on the other hand, your body language, facial expression, and eyes convey that this is a legitimate turnover, then perhaps the specs will believe it also.

At least your chances of pulling it off will be greatly improved.

Magicians must be actors. We must convince people of unrealities and make them quite believable.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
tophat
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of tophat
Quote:
Magicians must be actors. We must convince people of unrealities and make them quite believable.

Amen. Smile Very well said, daffydoug.
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
I would consider you taking a look at Double Take by Gregory Wilson. The tape is instructional on just the Double Lift. I found one on the tape that I use now exclusively. Looks very natural. I always looked for a good DL as I was never really satisfied with mine. Although it passed with laymen, I just never liked it as it wouldn't be how I normally would turn one over. However, the tape helped me find that perfect one. It's a variation of the pushoff lift that looks great and feels right. Hope the advice helps.

Cheers.
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
As a relative novice, getting my DL up to snuff is one of my biggest concerns-- so many effects depend on it. I've studied Daryl's, McBride's, Oz's, Royal Road, but I'm just not there yet.

Would any of you who own Wilson's Double Take say it would be worth my money? Or are there not that many twists on the DL? Would I be just as well off to keep practicing the basic ones?

Smile
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
"Double Take" is definitely worth the money. You'll find ideas, tips, and a lot of things to reappropriate (even some tricks) even if you don't find your "ideal DL." Mine is not on the tape, but nevertheless, I liked it and I kept it.
You'll find some fancy ways to handle a double card as one.
Jonathan.
doowopper
View Profile
Elite user
492 Posts

Profile of doowopper
I have been using Harry Lorayne's double lift and turnover for about 30 years. It's the only one I have needed to learn. I stuck with it because it was so easy to learn and do compared to some others. Also, it looks very natural. It is described in his "Ambitious Card Routine," in "Close Up Magic." To me, it is the definitive double lift, although Dai Vernon admirers might have something to say about that.
Richard
Blackwood
View Profile
Special user
Mind-Play
528 Posts

Profile of Blackwood
If you want to see the most impressive double lift, check out Rafael Benatar's. (Rafael Benatar's Elegant Card Magic video, Vol. 2)

He shows how to let them slide off the side of the deck, twirl them in mid-air and let them fall to the table-- without splitting. You'd swear he was using Elmer's Glue to hold them together.

Smile
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
First: the Double-lift on p. 83 of M. Wilsons Complete Course in Magic is a double-LIFT. I have never liked it. Why lift off a card, show it, replace it on the deck and THEN place it on the table or show it to have changed? It's one (actually two) stops too many...
Instead learn a double TURNOVER!
Get a break under 2 cards, and turn them over on the top of the deck. Turn them back down, and "do the magic" from there! The exact method is not as important as consistency: Do the turnover identically, whether you turn 1, 2 or more cards.
I agree, Blackwood! I've seen Benataar (live and on video) and his technique is awesome! But not easy...
Regards Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Dark
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Dark
Get "Double Take" from Gregory Wilson. It answered a lot of questions I had about a DL.
What I found is that there just isn't a single DL that's the most natural for all occasions, so having a selection of DLs that you feel comfortable with is a good thing. Also, if you use the DL multiple times in your routines, sometimes mixing it up keeps the spectators off guard.

That being said, I personally like the push off DL for most occasions.
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
Whatever DL you use, once you're comfortable with it and it's natural, make sure you always use the same method to turn over a single card. This will train your spectators that the move is completely innocent and it's just the way you handle the cards.

Occasionally I like to turn a single card over and maybe toss it on the table or show it in way that it would be impossible for there to be more than one card. So when you perform the DL it just looks normal to the spectator.

One DL move I use is this:

From the Altman Trap I do a book hinge DL and then slide the card(s) so they are face up and sticking an inch or so over the front of the deck.

Then when I turn over the card(s) to place them face down I let the bottom card drop keeping hold of the top (hidden) card. From the spectator's view it looks as if you never even let go of the card. Then you can just slide the card off and you have the change done in a very neat way. With a little practice you make this look very natural and easily fool a layman. Also it is very strong visually as you never even let go of the card.

Hope you like it. Although I came up with this myself I know it is probably in print somewhere. Until someone can tell me otherwise I'll call it the big dan subtlety!! lol

Laters all.
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!
Mikey-Flys
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton, Alberta
179 Posts

Profile of Mikey-Flys
Nice idea. I can think of a few instances where that could be very useful indeed! I'll have to see if I can make it fit with my normal handling. Smile
budionodarmawan
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of budionodarmawan
I think, it depends on your habit with turning a single card. There is a significant different between a DL and a single card turnover; it will attract suspicions from spectators. Like Vernon said, "Be natural."

Budiono ::_..
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On 2004-02-14 12:04, Dark wrote:
Get "Double Take" from Gregory Wilson. It answered a lot of questions I had about a DL.

I know, everyone praises this DVD. I have to disagree. It didn't help me much at all. Gregory Wilson doesn't even mention the one thing I most need to know about the DL -- and no one else does, either, which I find very frustrating. :-( What I need to know is, what keeps the two cards together if you're grasping them at only one point? Why don't they pivot apart? When I do any of the kinds of DL's Gregory Wilson shows on "Double Take," at least half the time the cards come out of alignment, which I think is only natural. There's a good REASON why the DL taught in "MARK Wilson's Complete Course" is taught there, and also in other places where they want to teach an absolute beginner to do the move: when you grasp the cards by opposite (narrow) edges, and flex the cards with your forefinger on the back, it holds them firmly together and they don't come out of alignment. Gregory Wilson doesn't teach this ultra-simple move at all, and totally ignores the crying need that it addresses. He is WONDERFUL on that DVD on the question of how to get a pinky break --spends AT LEAST enough time for me on that matter. Why doesn't he address the physics, and the practicalities, of how it is he keeps those two cards from pivoting apart???? Why doesn't anyone else? (DON'T tell me to practice: when you practice without knowing what you're doing, the more you practice, the worse you get.)
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I tried to learn double lifts from books but then I realized that it was different from the way I naturally handled the cards. So it arose suspicion even when it was done perfectly. So I just created my own way, based on how I normally handle cards. Creating double lifts aren't hard. It's making it look natural that's hard. And what easier way to make it look better than to mimic what you normally do?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Kudos to you Toaster...Just make your single lift look like your double and you'll have the whole enchilada.

<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Ever noticed that Paul Harris still uses this double lift in many of his effects?
Amazing-and he still fools us!
AJ
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think Vernon's, the one that Ammar teaches on his ETMCM videos, is excellent, and one of the easiest to learn.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.