The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Bottom deal reference material. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Thanks deadset. I think there's room for more filmed work on the bottom deal.
Jason, thanks for posting mate. I have highly recommended your bottom deal video. I didn't learn one of the deal techniques you demonstrated, but found it invaluable in,
Helping me to make a decision on what grip was right for me ( for instance, I started learning from classic Erdnase grip,which I found extremely unnatural and uncomfortable,After seeing it in action, I realised that although I'd like to learn it in the future, the Erdnase grip would not be a good starting point for me. )
Also, I felt like I'd picked up a bad habit from a rather vague description in a book. And a similar deal on your video confirmed that I had, so I've now got rid of it!

I don't champion learning everything from a movie,and nothing beats firm practise, but I can't deny how important they were on helping me choose the right deal,and as a visual check for proper technique.

Kneill.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1954 Posts

Profile of Claudio
If all you're after are bottom deal demos, to see what they look like, there are lots of demos by top pros (Steve Forte, Darwin Ortiz etc...) on YouTube.
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Jason and Ian.
I agree totally that physical practise cannot be topped when learning a sleight. I went about tithe same way when first learning a classic and riffle pass. I thouroughly researched all I could to define what may work best for me, practiced to get the basics down,analysed it again to iron out any creases. Then practised for a short time everyday. ( I find that after a break from regular practice, there is some improvement when going back to it). I guess I waited about 4/5 years before using the pass in performance.
I've posted this link elsewhere on here, but hopefully it'll show that I take my study and rehearsal of card magic seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6uFhZ4jM......a_player

(I actually nearly did a retake of the video! I thought the P**s and pop out could have been better. But decided to keep the first take.i don't want to see myself perform things perfectly. I'd much rather watch for any points that could be improved upon!).
Kneill.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7042 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2014-01-02 06:54, orchid666 wrote:
Thanks for posting everyone. I'm not sure how I haven't been clear, but it looks like I haven't.
I'm not struggling with the bottom deal. At all. It's going very well. After deciding on a technique from plenty of research, I'm putting In a lot of daily repetitive practise. Same way I learned the pass, second deal,O/h top pal, or erdnase shift.
I'm not looking for new resources, I have a technique now that I'm practising, and it's going well.
My post was

'While looking for a bottom deal to learn, there were plenty of books to reference, but not much video to show particular deals in action.and most of the existing material was scattered around 2 minutes at a time on other tapes.Did anyone else have the same problem?'

I appreciate the advise you've all given, but it's not my reason for the original post.
Kneill.

I guess you missed my post.
C_Biskit
View Profile
New user
United States
82 Posts

Profile of C_Biskit
In all reality if you aren't looking for demos or performances, I don't know how much more filmed explanations you could want. I mean really, how many different times can you explain and different angles can you show of the same thing without people wanting to see more. like a $5 video even if it's an hour long, seems like a rip off to me if it is the same move over and over again. I understand that my idea wouldn't be exactly what the video would be but I hope my point is seen.

Cheers!
Andy
jason ladanye
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of jason ladanye
I know this is posted in other bottom deal threads, but here's mine if you haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUonbTpoV......iqMEq8TA My starting point was the Annotated Erdnase by Darwin Ortiz.
Kingman
View Profile
Loyal user
Willow Spring NC
294 Posts

Profile of Kingman
I must say I did not have that issue, but that is because I own Richard Turner's two dvd set on Bottoms. He is unbelievable and there is more material there than can ever be fully digested.

http://richardturner52.com/products-page......dvd-set/
-*-The Card Magic of Kingman-*-

I took the Pledge
orchid666
View Profile
Special user
u.k
626 Posts

Profile of orchid666
Thank you Kingman. I'm happy now with the progress I'm making, and the deal I've settled on, but will still check those out. A single comment properly understood can open another door to progress. Smile that's why I research so much material! Smile
I'm baffled as to why this thread is getting heated, and showing early signs of an argument.

I'm sure YouTube videos provide free info to millions of people, and thanks to everyone who suggested it, but a good and in depth DVD by a trusted name not only benefits the economy in the magic scene, but ensures that correct technique is demonstrated. Most of the time anyway!
Besides, trawling the internet through hours of creepy videos of high pitched children in their bedrooms playing with a deck of cards, all the time unaware of who erdnase is, makes me feel dirty. Smile

Over and out.
Kneill.
magicmanu
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicmanu
Another vote for Richard Turners bottom´s ,but just for magicians who alreaddy do a bottom deal its not the best teaching DVD out there but it is of corse one of the best bottom deals out there
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1881 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
I used to look for years for a bottom deal that would work with my rather small hands... I read and watched at least 100 different methods and experimented with all of em until I realized what Jason England wrote earlier... There simply isn't an "easy way out"... Everyones hands are different and this is especially true when it comes to false deals. Something that might work for someone might not suit your hands. So instead of continuing to find a better way to deal a bottom used that time to just brute force practise and find a way that works for your hands. That is what I did and today I do rather good bottom deal.

Juha-Matti