The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The tricks are on me! :: Introducing Magic (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Winterborne
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Winterborne
I'm not sure where to post this, so I apologise if I'm in the wrong place.

I have to give a short presentation (about 10 mins) on a hobby or interest of mine (just an informal/fun thing for a class) and I'd like to talk about magic. Obviously a short presentation isn't enough time to go into depth on the subject, but I thought that maybe it would be possible to give a brief overview of magic? What would you do if you had to introduce the idea of magic/magicians to a lay audience in such a short time? Would you pick one aspect or genre of magic that interests you and focus on that? Or maybe pick a magician who performs a style of magic that you like and talk about them?

I don't want to talk about methods or reveal how anything is done. I'm also not talking about actually performing effects (although I probably will include one during my presentation and I already have a pretty good idea which one that will be Smile)This is purely talking about magic as an activity.

I'd really like to be able to talk about magic as my hobby, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the scope of it.
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
If it were me, I would want to show the range of what magic is. Maybe do three tricks to illustrate Classical Magic (Cups and Balls), Card Magic (Vernon's Poker Deal), and Street Magic (Coffee Break). Maybe add Everyday Magic (Salt Shaker Through Table). These done while talking about history of magic or preconceptions of magic. Particularly, I am trying to get the audience past thinking magic as Rabbit out of Hat while wearing a Tuxedo.

But that is my take. YMMV.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Hi Winterborne,

If it's a short presentation about you and your interest in magic then I would keep it about you. There really isn't time for a brief overview of magic and it isn't necessary to talk about other magicians unless it fits into why you like magic.

For example, if you stick to the old formula of who, what, why, where, when and how, you can fill your ten minutes by introducing "who" you are, "what" it is your topic is about (magic), "why" you are interested in magic- here is where you might mention a favorite magician of yours or a particular genre that got you hooked, etc. Also, why you like performing. The "where" could be where you like to perform, where you have performed, etc. "When" can be when you got interested in magic. The "how" could be a demonstration.

Just some ideas. It could be interesting if you could fit performance into your presentation. Making silks appear and vanish as you talk, ropes cut and restore, etc. Or that could be distracting depending on who you are. I don't know, but there my 2 cents.

Hope it works out for you. Tell us how it goes!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Theodore!

I think your advice is excellent!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thank you my friend!

I was actually thinking of you when I wrote the reply. KISMIF!

You taught me a lot!
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Watch this, and consider something of your own along these lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SpdH0XXVbI

Master Payne is brilliant!
anatuncay
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of anatuncay
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2017, Winterborne wrote:
I'm not sure where to post this, so I apologise if I'm in the wrong place.

I have to give a short presentation (about 10 mins) on a hobby or interest of mine (just an informal/fun thing for a class) and I'd like to talk about magic. Obviously a short presentation isn't enough time to go into depth on the subject, but I thought that maybe it would be possible to give a brief overview of magic? What would you do if you had to introduce the idea of magic/magicians to a lay audience in such a short time? Would you pick one aspect or genre of magic that interests you and focus on that? Or maybe pick a magician who performs a style of magic that you like and talk about them?

I don't want to talk about methods or reveal how anything is done. I'm also not talking about actually performing effects (although I probably will include one during my presentation and I already have a pretty good idea which one that will be Smile)This is purely talking about magic as an activity.

I'd really like to be able to talk about magic as my hobby, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the scope of it.

cool! thanks. <3
anatuncay
View Profile
New user
Texas
13 Posts

Profile of anatuncay
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hello Theodore!

I think your advice is excellent!

I think youre awesome!!! <3 thanksssss
Winterborne
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Winterborne
Thank you all for your advice. Smile

Aside from the nerves that I always get whenever I have to speak in front of a group I think my presentation went ok. I kept it simple and just talked a little bit about magic in general and about one of my favourite magicians, then I finished by performing my favourite effect which seemed to go down well. Smile
David Burke
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
677 Posts

Profile of David Burke
@Winterborne,

Thanks for sharing your experiences, it really helps others to read about how things went. Giving us the courage to step out and try new things.

Dave
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
A general comment!

I've found that many, if not most, "non magic folks" are at least somewhat fascinated by talking with a magician!

Now a days, when that opportunity arises, it's often just after a big TV magic special, and someone was "motivated" to comment, or ask a question about some trick.

I seize the moment to say something POSITIVE about the show that they saw, and, about magic in general. Sometimes, if it is appropriate, I'll even do a little impromptu bit.

Who knows!? The conversation might even result in booking a show!!!!!

All of us need to be Public Relations "conscious"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
The Master Payne video is one of the most entertaining bits I've seen in a long time.