The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The tricks are on me! :: This was a wonderful day at the Children's Hospital (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I don't normally post about the Diamond Children's hospital; it's something that I do to bless the children and their parents and I happen to be blessed by it as well. Today was special though.
I had a really sweet little girl and her family on the visitation list. I had just started performing in her room when the nurse came in and started preparing to give her an IV. The poor girl started crying and was really scared. The nurse said she could come back in a few minutes after I was finished. Then, she suggested that I "distract" her while she gave her the IV. Not cool- there's no way this was going to work. I asked her if she could just leave and come back when I was through so the little girl could enjoy a few moments with me and the magic. She was very nice and agreed.
I was able to tell this adorable little angel that us magician's can make people disappear as the nurse was leaving. Smile
She really appreciated her reprieve and we had a great time. I performed several tricks and the family was so kind and thankful.
I gave her a rabbit to keep and then was able to encourage her before I left her room. I was honest and told her, "What they are going to do is going to hurt a little, but they are only doing it because they care about you and want to help you get better." Mom and Dad were able to jump on this and agree and also encourage her.
Mom said, "And now she has a little rabbit to hold on to."
I could still see some fear in her eyes at the thought of the coming needle, but there was a peace, a resolve to endure in the hopes of healing was now in her eyes as well.
It's the first time I was ever able to help one of the children beyond just making them laugh and amazing them with tricks. And it was an incredible blessing.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
Great job, Theo. I'm looking forward to when I can start volunteering in my local children's hospital too.
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1453 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Fantastic job Theo. It's magic at it's best. Keep up the good work!

Ray Smile
Mentalism in Ontario.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Well done, they deserve everything we can do to help them.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks guys. I can't believe I get to do this.

I'm not a working pro. I don't really know if I ever will be. I'm kind of discouraged right now about where I am with my dream. I've invested lots into my hobby in the hopes of earning a living at it, even part time. I'm way behind on the profit and loss chart, but even if I never get another gig I'll keep doing this. It's something I can always have to look forward to and I'm really blessed by it.

So I guess I'm okay with that.

Dayenu. Smile
DallasFrank
View Profile
Regular user
Hey Rocky watch me pull a Rabbit outta my hat...oops wrong hat!
104 Posts

Profile of DallasFrank
Mr. Lawton
I also do a yearly show at a children's hospital.I am a radiologic technologist and started doing the shows when I was still in school as part of our volunteering requirement.I have had incidents similar to yours more than once.It is always gut wrenching.Children should be playing not in a hospital bed.The hospital I go to won't allow me to give the children anything so I teach them a very simple magic trick so they can amaze their friends.I tell them that for my last trick I will turn them all into magicians.You should see the reaction I get.
I just wanted to say great job... you will never find a more appreciative audience.(If you really want your heart strings tugged wait until they want to hold your hand.)I agree with you...if I never have another paying gig a sick child's smile is payment enough.

Frank
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks Frank Smile
boboswitch
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of boboswitch
Thank God that my experience can be classified as a "near miss" -- watch out for fire and oxygen tents. I still shake my head about my lack of common sense.
lilpixie
View Profile
New user
Beverly Hills, California
12 Posts

Profile of lilpixie
Reading this thread brought tears to my eyes. You all are doing amazing work. Not to get off
topic but I try to touch lives every day by a simple smile. Each day I increase that number, such as today I smiled at 38 strangers. I pick out the people my heart tells me they need a smile. 7 out of 10 I get a smile back. I don't worry about the ones who don't smile back because I know I gave them mine. Keep up the amazing
work.... Smile
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Keep up the fine work Theodore. The children and hospital are lucky to have you.

I'm an ER Nurse. I use simple bits of magic with children to help establish a strong relationship with my little patients.
You shouldn't be upset with the nurse for wanting your magic to distract from the IV. Distraction is a great tool- I use it all the time in various forms. Its not the IV that hurts the child. Its the anticipation of the needle. If done right, the procedure can cause very little pain.and done right, can be very non-traumatic for the child. Children who come to the ER for repeat visits will ask for me by name. They want me there to do or assist with their procedure (IV or whatever else). Total distraction. Just offering a different perspective...

Jim
MartiniMagic
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of MartiniMagic
Nice stories guys and gal.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'd like to share about my most recent visit because it was just too cool.

I sometimes go up to the cancer floor and share with those little ones as well.

This last visit was really cool because my visit list was short and most of the children had already been discharged, so the few I got to share with I spent extra time with. I was basically giving them a 20-30 minute magic show. This was so much fun I think I might start going earlier just so I can spend more time with each kid. Smile

But back to the story- this girl I visited in the cancer unit was 11 and very into all the magic. Sometimes the older kids are even more fun because they are more responsive, interactive and blown away by the magic- at least in my experience.

My last trick for her I did signed ACR to wallet and she was stunned. Her mom was there too, she told her mom, "I'm hanging this up in my room."

Her mom said, "Well have him sign it too!"

She was eager to have me sign it as well. It was really cool to know that that card is going to be hanging in her room with both of our signatures on it.

I've been asked to sign other cards before, but this was the best.

Theodore-

Smile
Mike Gilbert
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of Mike Gilbert
Theo,

You, Sir, are an amazing person. I'm still kind of new here, as you know, but I've been blown away by you since the day we met here at ye olde Café! You truly have a gift for brightening people's days. I know how you feel about the investment into your craft vs. a return on that investment from a working standpoint. Let me tell you though brother...profit isn't always monetary, and I think you learned that in your last couple of visits. Keep up the amazing work, Theo. You are a beacon of hope to these children, and nothing is greater! I look forward to many more amazing stories about your experiences!
-Mike Gilbert Smile

"Most of us have two lives. The life we live, and the unlived life within us. Between the two stands Resistance."- Steven Pressfield
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks for the kind words Mike!
dannywu
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of dannywu
A kind action from a kind man, first heard about you since your days posting about your progress of landing a restaurant. You sure made that angel's day
Arabian tricker
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Arabian tricker
Making the children happy is why I learn magic!
alee7371
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of alee7371
Great story, keep up the good work.
RagnarzA
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RagnarzA
I did one like that,,,, great experience
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
So I'm thinking about upping my game. I don't know if I am willing to do it yet, but I'm thinking about going twice per month now.

I went to the dialysis unit today; I haven't been there in a looong time. And I only went once in the past.

I recognized one of the little girls there from the time I went before. She's 14 and looks about 8 or 9. She's adorable. She has to do dialysis 3 times per week for 3 1/2 hours at a shot or she will die. I also did magic for 3 other kids on the dialysis unit who all have the same thing to deal with. Except for this one little boy; he is there 4 times per week.

I feel like I need to go see them more. Once per month isn't enough. I feel so bad for these kids.

I'll need to work on what I take to show them as I will need to be showing them different stuff.

I really want to do it though, they are very precious.

That's all I got.

T-
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1796 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I apologize if that post somehow came off as grandstanding or something. Like, "Look at me and all the good I do!" I realized after reading it that I am looking for a sounding board for a question that only I can answer, "Should I go more often?"

I just don't want to spread myself too thin and get burnt out.

Thanks for letting me work this out in an embarrassing manner in a public forum.
Smile