The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The tricks are on me! :: Childrens hospitals? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
thePyramidWithin
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of thePyramidWithin
Hi there,i am interested in volunteering to perform for children's hospitals.
my basic concern is how different it might be to perform in a hospital for children who are not well.
I think it might be a good thing to show these kids magic...
has anyone got experience with this?
thanx
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I don't have experience with that, but what a great thing to do! They'll LOVE it...let us know how it goes.

:) Kaylan
bentley
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of bentley
Treat them like an average normal kid.I mean I wouldn't want someone come and act like I am some sick kid. I don't have experience but I know that is how I would like to be treated.
P.S. I am not saying you would do that I just thought I would give you a tip.
thePyramidWithin
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Ha...i don't think I'd treat em like a sick kid.
I was just thinking about this a lot today.
really interested in some people's experience with this.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
David Copperfield and The Spencers have programs that are designed especially for this type of thing. For more info on Copperfield's "Project Magic," you can go to dcopperfield.com, or for info on The Spencers "Healing of Magic," you can go to spencersmagic.com.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
magicguy72
View Profile
New user
Virginia
29 Posts

Profile of magicguy72
You can find more information on "healing of magic" at http://www.MagicTherapy.com.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I used to work with behaviorally and emotionally disturbed kids - kind of similar - and I ran a workshop on a weekly basis. What really worked was teaching them a few simple, beginner tricks. It made them feel very special knowing how to do the tricks...it left them with something more than just showing them what I could do. Just a suggestion.

I really believe there is therapeutic value in teaching magic to kids who need special attention.

Kaylan Smile
thePyramidWithin
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Thanx for the information guys Smile
mrmystic
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
200 Posts

Profile of mrmystic
The hospital clown newsletter has a lot of good information about performing for sick children. http://www.hospitalclown.com/
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
I worked for an organization that sent performer to hospitals they are called (H.A.I.) Hospital Audiences, Inc. http://www.hospitalaudiences.org/ Many of the show I did in the hospitals they did not want me to do the fire magic and not to use animals in the show. I love doing hospital shows, I remember one hospital that when I got there, the staff told me the children have been waiting for this day to come, and the children would tell the staff every day before the show date, “Is the Magician here today” and on show day I went into a room that had a big banner that said “Welcome Maro the Magician” after the show the staff ask if I could do some magic for the children that could not get out of their rooms, so I did and the children gave me the biggest smile as to let me know they love the magic.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
Dingster
View Profile
New user
Australia (currently in Japan)
8 Posts

Profile of Dingster
Great to hear about your experience Maro. I got interested in magic because of kids. What a terrific thing it is to put smiles on sick kid's dials.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
The Magicians Foundation, Inc performs regularly at children's hospital for free especially during Christmas. Some of us get paid to perform for them, meaning the Magic Show was sponsored.

We just perform at one part or section of the ward. We try to avoid fire effects because of the smoke and the possible danger that it might create.

Basically, we perform almost everything being done in a regular show except for what has been mentioned above.

For the very sick kids, we approach them at their bedside and perform simple effects with a little distance. You could see the smile in their eyes, which is really gratifying.
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Here in Houston a group of us from IBM/S.A.M. perform monthly at Texas Children's Hospital and The Shriner's Hospital for Children. I perform once a month at a very small (24 bed) "bridge" hospital for children. We do one-on-one strolling room to room, usually catch 3 or 4 kids in the Lounge. At Shriners its the same drill but we usually see several kids/parents in the Lobby.

We volunteer our services on a non-fee basis. It is extremely rewarding.

Dick Lucas
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
The first time I performed at the Children's Hospital I was only surprised by one thing: balloons were not permitted due to latex allergies!

Apart from that, children want to be children -- especially in hospitals: they crave the escape that magic can provide.
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
There are two different types of situations to consider, a pediatric unit of a hospital where the children are there for a short time, and a children's hospital where the children are residents there(likely due to having cancer). My experience has been that the biggest difference between the two is the administrators. At the pediatric unit the magic has to be in a common area, for groups, and supervised. At the hospital, I perform bedside after being given a list of the kids.

Either way, start talking to the hospital that you are interested in, to find out their interest(I was turned down by one hospital), rules, and circumstances.. Don't be surprised if it takes several weeks before you can start performing.

To date, I have performed at the pediatric unit of a local hospital for about 6 months, but haven't gotten into the children's hospital yet(I don't have a kids show developed yet).

Compared to performing in other settings, they are still kids, some like magic, others are non-plussed, but generally they like it. In the hospital, some kids are scared, or drugged, or on IV... but I don't see too many limitations here, other than finding a table top to put my stuff on while I perform.

As mentioned above, fire magic, and laytex are not a good idea. I also avoid tricks like a finger chopper, gee, I wonder why?

Check out the Kids section on the Café, there are a number of threads on this topic.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Expect a vetting process before they will let you work with the kids at all. Also, the folks that run the program will tell you what to expect and what to do, etc. These folks are your number one resource at the hospital. Mostly the children will be great. Hospital sucks and they know it and anything that takes them away from what they are going through is appreciated more than they may show. Be prepared for questions, etc. It is a GREAT and generous thing to do and I highly recommend it. Best,
Brad Burt
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
I am thinking of doing the same thing. Even possibly for adult hospitals. But here is my question, should I perform kids shows, like in front of a large audience, or should I do walkaround, and perform in different rooms, according to the nurses. Like, I would get the nurses to see if they would like entertainment, or are in the mood. I personally like the walkaround idea, it would be easier for me, and It gives more of a chance for me to go one on one with each child. But heres the problem there. Most of my6 walkaround material is cards. It would work well for an adult hospital, (That is if they can REMEMBER the cards...) but maybe not a childrens hospital. So maybe I should just make a few walkaround kids routines, and occassionally do an actual show. (For birthdays, special events, etc.) Hmm, I will think about it.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Oh, by the way, when I said most of my walkaround m,aterial is cards, I mean normally like only one trick. I have lots of variety, but I just don't want to do anything too confusing for them.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Themagicman101

You should first contact the hospital to understand what the situation at their hospital is. For example, at the hospital I've gone to ~weekly for the last 6 months, the most I ever had to perform for was 4 kids. Easily 80% of the time it is just 1 or 2. Hence, what I do is room to room, one on one.

Further, given the variation from child to child, performing one on one, allows me to taylor the presentation to that child. Their interest in magic varies; this past week, the 6 year old girl was more interested in eating her mashed potatos than participate in my sponge ball routine; the week before, a 7 year old girl asked for "more" (my first encore performance Smile).

For the younger children I do simple effects(not cards), in their hands, and will teach them a simple trick if they are interested, and even refer them to Magic for Dummies, or Wilson's Complete Course, if they are interested in learning more.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I perform with Dick Lucas on a regular basis. One of the things you may have to do is to sign a confidentaility agreement. The hospitals do not want people telling the newspapers or even their relatives which children are in the hospital for various treatments.

Most of our magic is done strolling in private rooms. We go into a room, do about 5 minutes and leave. It's the only time I have had a teenage girl tell me I was "cool!"

It's a heartwarming experience.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com