The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Society of American Magicians! :: Sam Resources (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Hakaput
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Hakaput
I am not a member of SAM yet, but I am thinking about joining a local assembly. I was wondering if simply joining a local assembly grants any access to the online resources from the website or if one needs to also be an national member to get theses benefits.
I realize this is probably a silly question, but I did not see a direct answer to it on the SAM website.
manananmaclir
View Profile
New user
Port Hadlock
60 Posts

Profile of manananmaclir
I believe they are one and the same. You join the national Society, you attend the local chapter.
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
Some, perhaps most, assemblies require national membership and may charge additional annual dues for the local assembly after a short period as a "guest." The S.A.M. site has a "members only" area that is only available to national members.
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Hakaput
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Hakaput
Thank you for your responses. I did not realize that in general the national membership is required to be in an assembly. I only have attended once to the assembly near me so they haven't even mentioned actually joining yet.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'll send you a copy of the SAM magazine ("M U M") but, don't tell anyone! (secret stuff!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Hakaput
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Hakaput
My local magicians group is a combined SAM and IBM so I am wondering which of the two would be better to join. The price of both them are about the same, though with a student discount SAM is cheaper. But the price difference is not too big of a factor for me, though joining both would be too expensive for me at this moment. I am open to any opinions but I also ask specifically about the following:

How do the magazines MUM and Linking Rings compare?
Does SAM or IBM have better online resources?
Does SAM or IBM have more online resources?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. And I know this the choice between SAM and IBM is probably mostly about personal preferences. So please try give the reasons behind opinions.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
552 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
If you haven't joined either yet, I recommend joining the S.A.M.
MUM magazine is a far better magazine, in my opinion. The magazine itself is worth the price of membership.
StarManager
View Profile
Inner circle
Maui, Hawaii
1012 Posts

Profile of StarManager
I agree with Ba Ba Booey (and his clever postometer) that MUM mag is worth the price. But so is contributing to the growth and fraternity of Magic. Keeping the clubs alive keeps magic alive.
"I'm a professional magician and once in a while I even work." Jonathan Todd Excelsior (StarManager)