The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: Question re Ring Newsletters (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Question for those of you who are editors of a Ring newsletter:
Do you send a draft of the newsletter out to anyone to proofread before posting it to all the members?

I was just about to send out the January 2022 issue of Ring 103's newsletter _The Wizard's Eye_ when I noticed that although the day was correct--Tuesday--the date was incorrect. I had put January 3, 2022 in the meeting announcement, but the correct date is January 4, 2022. That error slipped past both me as the editor and the immediate Ring past president who has served as the unofficial proofreader.

I think from now on I think I'll send a proof copy to at least two other members before posting it to the entire membership.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
David Burke
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
676 Posts

Profile of David Burke
I think that's a great idea.

Dave
kamlet
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
57 Posts

Profile of kamlet
Yes our newsletter goes to at least 2 proof-readers before we send out

In many cases articles such as our President's column or the write-up from last month is also sent out to proof-readers prior to sending to our newsletter editor.

So by the time the full newsletter is sent for "final review" it's in pretty good shape.

Mike
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1056 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
We no longer do a newsletter for the Ring. We have switched to a private facebook group and a subscription email distribution list. This allows for two way communication and quicker updates (for example meeting cancellations due to weather, last minute lecture opportunities, upcoming public magic/vent performances). If there were any errors, it makes it much easier for us to get corrections out to everyone.

This said, our Ring Reports and other documents for national (e.g. annual report) do go through proofreaders.