The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: T.L.R. Christmas (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I always enjoy the December issue of The Linking Ring! To me, it's always been like an early Christmas present. I look forward to the cover photos (or drawings) as well as the articles inside. I have found a lot of interesting and helpful ideas for my Christmas shows throughout the years. I am alone, or do others look forward to Christmas theme of the December issue of The Link Ring?

Having said that, has anyone noticed that M.U.M. seems to have stopped covering Christmas in their December issues?
Mister Mystery
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Well Regan, I found only one mention of Christmas in the December Linking Ring.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Danny, I haven't read it all yet, but I noticed that Christmas seems to have become taboo in The Linking Ring also. I have noticed the trend in M.U.M for the past several years, and it bothered me. I didn't think The Linking Ring had fallen into the "Happy Holiday", politically correct trap yet, but I guess I was wrong. I was actually proud of Samuel Patrick Smith, but maybe I jumped the gun. The Christmas issue of T.L.R. & M.U.M. used to be my favorite issues. I looked forward to receiving those than any other issues. Magic shows at this time of year, yes, Christmas shows, are a huge part of my magic schedule. It seems both T.L.R, & M.U.M. have chosen to ignore Christmas in their December issues...for the sake of being politically correct, I guess. Maybe they are trying not to offend anyone. Well, it offends me to omit it!
Mister Mystery
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
As you consider the Christmas vs. Holiday tangle, do try to remember that the I.B.M. and The Linking Ring are international entities. The magazine is read by members in over 30 countries - few of which espouse the American ideal of Christmas.

Sammy Smith is a "Merry Christmas" kind of guy, but he and the executives who work hard to keep the I.B.M. prospering must consider the choices and customs of all members - not just those of us in North America.

As a former military member who has lived among different cultures across Europe and Asia, I am delighted to see more features addressing the broader spectrum of seasonal and cultural celebrations. Just last night I was honored with an invitation to share a Dia de Reyes celebration with friends from Mexico. The King Cake was delicious and the children couldn't figure out how the toy babies found within kept appearing, vanishing, and multiplying in their hands.

Just a thought... Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Skip, I was offened by not being wished a Merry Christmas.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
When we believe or say we have been offended, we usually mean we feel insulted, mistreated, snubbed, or disrespected. And certainly clumsy, embarrassing, unprincipled, and mean-spirited things do occur in our interactions with other people that would allow us to take offense. However, it is ultimately impossible for another person to offend you or to offend me. To be offended is a choice we make; it is not a condition inflicted or imposed upon us by someone or something else.

In other words ... If you're truly offended because The Linking Ring failed to wish you a Merry Christmas ... Well ... That's your choice. Enjoy.

Moving on ...
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Yes, I agree, It's a new year and a lot of positive things in the I-B-M. Glad to be a member.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Sorry Skip. I "choose" to be offended. Kind of like others "choose" to be offended when they hear the phrase, "Merry Christmas". I am no different.

Christmas has been part of my life for as long as it has existed. I do Christmas shows every year. Now I am Santa Claus too. You and have that in common. I realize I.B.M is international organization, but that is no reason to omit something that had always been a part of T.L.R. until recently. Not long ago it seemed Santa was on the cover nearly every December issue. Remember that beautiful cover of Santa holding the December issue of T.L.R. with himself on the cover? Very clever. I'll bet Tate liked that a lot!

Like it or not, Christmas is still going strong....not only in America either. Christmas is a big part of my magic life, and I don't think it should omitted. Even worse I think it is awful that the very mention of it is avoided like the plague. Whether it is mentioned or not Christmas shows are still happening. At least they are for me. Around Thanksgiving much of my focus turns to Christmas. My magic publications were a big part of it, and I always looked especially forward to the December issues. To completely avoid the subject just seems like a cowardly act to me.

As I mentioned earlier, I first noticed this trend happening with M.U.M. I tried to overlook it at first, and thought that maybe it was coincidence. I finally realized it was not, and the The Linking Ring is seemingly following suit. M.U.M is of course published by The Society Of American Magicians. I know it is international also, but it even has the American name on the title of the organization. They may have to change that name someday so people from other countries won't "choose" to be offended.

I don't have a problem with including routines, etc of other cultures holiday celebrations, but I don't like to see Christmas left out. I'm not so sure people from other countries are the ones "choosing" to offended by the inclusion of Christmas anyway.
Mister Mystery
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Your choice, Regan, and you know I respect you. I choose to focus on more important issues. Best to you, buddy!

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks Skip. I have a great deal of respect for you also. I am glad you stated your opinion. This is a very important issue to me, and I just wanted to speak up. Best to you also.
Mister Mystery
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I've always thought a Christmas issue full of routines and bits suitable for the holiday was kind of stupid. Especially since it was released in December when it was far too late to use any of the material in this years programs and far too early to consider using it in next years shows. To be of any use of all the "Holiday" issue should come out in June or July to give everyone plenty of time to incorporate the material into their seasonal shows.
I used to be in visual merchandising and we would always start our store planning and design in May or June. Especially since it needed to be implemented by mid October.
I too am weary of the followers of a particular faith bemoaning the fact that one of their holidays isn't being celebrated to their satisfaction and taking every utterance of the words Happy Holiday's as a personal affront. If they were this whiny and vocal 2000 years ago I can understand why the Romans threw them to the lions as it was likely the only way they could stifle their complaints and faux persecution complex full of crocodile tears. Smile
Give it a rest guys. Most of us just don't care. We can enjoy the holiday without crèches on every corner Santa's on magic magazine covers and Merry Christmas being uttered by every person we pass on the street.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2014-01-09 15:19, Payne wrote:
I've always thought a Christmas issue full of routines and bits suitable for the holiday was kind stupid....
I too am weary of the followers of a particular faith bemoaning the fact that one of their holidays isn't being celebrated to their satisfaction and taking every utterance of the words Happy Holiday's as a personal affront. If they were this whiny and vocal 2000 years ago I can understand why the Romans threw them to the lions as it was likely the only way they could stifle their complaints and faux persecution complex full of crocodile tears. Smile
Give it a rest guys. Most of us just don't care. We can enjoy the holiday without crèches on every corner Santa's on magic magazine covers and Merry Christmas being uttered by every person we pass on the street.

Payne, I am also very weary of followers of particular faiths (and/or non-followers) bemoaning the fact that Christmas is being celebrated or even mentioned. I don't protest, "happy holidays" but I do protest the omission of "Merry Christmas". The Bible tells us that when Daniel was thrown to the lions it was not because of whining. He stood up for what he believed and they wanted him removed.

I have heard plenty of 'whiny' complaints from the other side of the fence for years and years. That is one reason we are where we are today with this issue. It seems whining and protesting is ok, and even praised when you live behind that fence. But I complain from this side and you want me thrown to the lions? Even though you claim not to care? If you truly don't care why did you even respond? Just to insult me? I waited for several years before I even spoke up. I thought I was being patient and giving M.U.M. & T.L.R. The benefit of every doubt I could think of.

I'm glad you enjoy Christmas, believe it or not, so do I! However, this is an important issue to me and I do care. I do not consider having a December issue of any magazine filled with pictures, articles, routines, bits, recipes, or anything else that pertains to Christmas to be 'stupid' at all. I'll admit that it is late to try and learn a full routine, but there might be plenty of show enhancing ideas, bits of business, etc that can easily added right away. Besides, I save my issues anyway. When I find something I want to use I may go back and check it out weeks, months, or even years later. I love the Halloween ideas in the October issue too! Do you feel The magic publications should forget about, omit, and dare I say avoid anything pertaining to Halloween be left out of the October issues? What if these magazines even avoided the mention of the word, "Halloween"? I would consider that to be silly. I think the same can be applied to Christmas.
Mister Mystery
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Shame, Looks like this issue is only important to the two of us Regan. Would have thought others would have spoke up.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2014-01-10 22:33, Mr. Danny wrote:

Shame, Looks like this issue is only important to the two of us Regan.

Which is probably why they don't do a Holiday issue anymore. Most people just don't care. As long as there are great tricks and articles in the magazine it doesn't matter to them whether there is a Santa Claus on the cover or not.

Here's an idea. If you want an old fashion Christmas Spectacular issue of the Linking Ring. Why not submit a Parade or get a bunch of your friends together and have them all submit their favorite holiday routines or party tips.

That's more than likely the real reason they no longer do a Xmas issue. People have stopped submitting seasonal routines that they can publish in one.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Valid point Payne.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Spot on point, Payne. TLR, like everything in the IBM, depends on volunteer support. TLR is only as good as those who take the time and effort to submit.

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
I like the idea of this themed issue happening earlier in the year.
Good point that it would be more useful.

Perhaps a parade could be talked about in the good news section.
Though Christmas is important, if that was the end of
Story .......

Merry Christmas.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u