The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: Online Linking RIng (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
JDriscoll
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of JDriscoll
I love the idea that the IBM offers digital downloads of the Linking Ring. But the PDFs for some of the recent issues will not display properly on my IPad. The illustrations don't show up. I have no problems with older issues, but recent ones (2011) are pretty much unreadable. I have no problems with MUM or other non-magic related PDF-based magazines. Anyone else having a problem with it or have a clue how to fix it?
Mirth and Magic
View Profile
New user
Ruckersville
13 Posts

Profile of Mirth and Magic
One of the problems is IBM is using the JPEG2000 compression format for the photos in The Linking Ring. This has been brought to their attention several times over the last few months. They know that their iPad using members are having problems, they know the problem and the solution, but they have pretty much turned a deaf ear to us. I have to agree with you that ALL the other magic related magazines out there have gotten it right. They understand their customers and "customer service". my favorite is Genii, in my opinion the best iPad magazine on the market. Next would be Magic, but I don't agree with having to pay for the digital version if I already paid for the magazine. Haven't bothered with the last two issues as I just make the time to read the magazine or do with out reading/finishing the whole magazine if I can't find the time. MUM is great same excellent magazine as the printed version. Easy as pie to download and to really surprised me that SAM can figure out the correct format, but IBM can't. But, then again SAM has impressed me time and time again as to understanding what their members want and need, instead of telling us what we need ( or should I say telling us what we are going to be satisfied with). Sounds like our current government.... But let's not go there. Hopefully someone at IBM will start listening to their members and fix the problem, but I doubt it.
Bill Wells
View Profile
Elite user
Lexington, VA
457 Posts

Profile of Bill Wells
I have forwarded your messages to the editor of The Linking Ring. The IBM Portal also falls under the responsibility of the Editor. If something can be done to correct this, I am sure that Sammy will get it done.

Thanks for letting us know.

Bill
Samuel Patrick Smith
View Profile
New user
Eustis, Florida
9 Posts

Profile of Samuel Patrick Smith
Thanks, Bill! We have our gurus at Micro (the folks who process and post the PDF files) working on this. Meanwhile, members should note that we have TWO versions of The Linking Ring online -- a new digital edition -- and the older style PDF version, to which this problem applies. We'll be back with an update as soon as information is available.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
When I renewed my membership a few weeks ago, I bought the "No Linking Ring" option, thinking I would just be able to read the online version. I received a notice from the office that I would not be able to access the online version unless I also paid for the printed copy. I was told that I could send another 20 dollars to have access to the online issue, as well as continued receipt of the printed copy. Here was my reply: "I guess I'll pay the extra 20 bucks, but it's about time the IBM embraces technology and offers an online subscription option. It would save a lot of money in printing and shipping, and reduce paper use, not to mention all the clutter it would eliminate in our homes. It works for the SAM." At this point I haven't paid the extra 20 dollars and not sure that I will.
JDriscoll
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of JDriscoll
Looks like the problem has been resolved. I just downloaded the October and November issues to my iPad and they are displaying correctly. Yeah!