The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: Wanting to join the IBM (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
I have finally decided I want to join the IBM and I noticed that I need to have 2 members endorse me to join the IBM so I was wondering if it would matter if somebody from a ring other than the one that I'd be going to could still endorse me or if I need to have 2 members from the ring I'd be going to sponsor me?

Also would I be able to goto one of the meetings before deciding to join to see if I'd like it or would I need to be a member of the IBM already to join? I'm going to be getting a membership this month but would I have to wait until I'm approved to goto one of the meetings?

Finally if it doesn't matter who endorses me would somebody from here who is a member of the IBM endorse me please? I'd really love to join so I can meet some of the magicians in Vancouver. I know a few of them like Shawn Farquhar (not met him in person yet) and Matthew Johnson, but I'm actually surprised that Justin 'Bro' Gilbert isn't a member of Ring 92 because I know he lives in Vancouver, or maybe he's in a different ring that I don't remember about. Hope to hear from somebody soon.

Sincerely,

Matthew
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
367 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings Matthew, the application states that you must be endorsed by two members in good standing of the I.B.M., it doesn't state anywhere that they must belong to the ring that you are planning on joining. For many years I was a member at large and didn't even have an affiliation to the local ring, by my choice at that time.

Anyone can sponsor you into the I.B.M. as long as they are members in good standing. If you are serious about your magic, willing to take the oath and willing to be a good I.B.M. member, you may use my name as one of your sponsors if you wish. Maria Ibanez and I am an Order of Merlin, Sindie at the headquarters knows me well.

May I ask, is there a reason you don't want to sponsors from your own local ring? Shawn is a great guy.

Keep a dream in the making,

Maria
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Welcome, Matthew! Most I.B.M. Rings welcome guests so, as Maria pointed out, there's no requirement to join the national organization before visiting your local Ring. You do, however, need to be a member of National to join most Rings.

Vancouver Ring #92 meets on the fourth Thursday of each Month at 7:00 pm at Sunrise Community Hall, 1950 Windemere Street, Vancouver, B.C.

You can contact David Wilson at 604-467-7887 or davidwilsonvmc@hotmail.com if you would be more comfortable with an invitation. The Ring's very informative website is http://www.ibmring92.com .

Anyone in the Ring would be happy to sponsor you into the national organization.

Let us know if you have any other questions. We're happy to help!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Thanks for the replies and yes Maria I talked to Shawn on Facebook last night and he's more than happy to sponsor me so right now I don't need anymore people to sponsor me now and yes I'm serious about my magic and yes I'm more than happy to take the Oath.

It's not that I don't want to be sponsored by somebody from my local ring it's just that I didn't know if I did need to have somebody from there, I like most of the people that go there actually, I've met a couple of them in person and some of them on Facebook and I like all of them.

Thanks again for the replies and I'm looking forward to going.

Sincerely,

Matthew