The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The International Brotherhood of Magicians! :: IBM Chuck Hickok Lecture - need info (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
Our ring is considering having Chuck Hickok in to lecture, but none of the members seem to be familiar with him. Does anyone have any info regarding the quality of his lecture?

thanks,

Brett c/o Ring 71
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Very good mentalist and highly experienced entertainer. He gives an excellent lecture.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
Excellent lecturer we enjoyed seeing him.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Although I've not seen him, I enjoy his magic and am hoping to have him for our Ring one day. I've heard nothing but good things about him.

Mark.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Brett,

When will he be there? I would make the 4 hour trip from Wooster, Ohio to see him.

Bobby

P.S. I was there for Harry Allen's dealer lecture and had a great time.
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
MrBob102
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
125 Posts

Profile of MrBob102
You will really appreciate Chuck's lecture. Our members still talk about his lecture that he gave almost 2 years ago. Lots of good stuff.

Also if you are in the Washington DC area in March, stop in to have a great time at Magi-Whirl 2008. http://www.Magi-Whirl.Org
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
At this point, he has not been booked. At least that I know of. I am not an officer for our club; just doing research.
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I saw Chuck at a MINDVENTION event in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. Bought both of his books and have corresponded with him a bit via e-mail. I give him two thumbs up and highly recommend him. He really understands entertaining and how to connect with the audience. He's great with mentalism effects, but I think you'll find the biggest benefit he brings to a lecture is his wisdom in connecting with, amazing and entertaining audiences. Good Luck!
evanthx
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
197 Posts

Profile of evanthx
Chuck lectured last night in Atlanta. It was a VERY good lecture. He did a full 30 minute show, then taught it all. There were some really good things in there, and he fooled an entire roomful of magicians which was pretty darned cool!

He also has the best prepared lecture I've ever seen I think. He had prepared presentation-style sheets of the material which he displayed at the front of the room - I can't think of a great way to describe it, but I think it was the best teaching I've ever seen at a lecture. He was prepared, he'd put work into it, and it really showed.

So all in all, it was a great evening!
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I will let you know as our Ring #22 is hosting Chuck's Lecture on April 29, 2008 (Tuesday) I will report back after the lecture. I have not seen Chuck lecture before, but I have only heard GOOD Reviews.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
As I stated before we had Chuck Hickok Lecture for us last night. The lecture was very well attended and Chuck delivered a TOP NOTCH Mentalism Lecture that anyone can perform. He starts out with his FULL Show and after that goes into a deep conversation on the methods. All in all it was a very GOOD Lecture. He also had his books for sale and a few of his routines that cannot be found anywhere else for sale except from Chuck. If your club can schedule Chuck I think you will be pleasantly surprised. He is a great lecturer.

Rodney

P.S. if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
My local magic club (the Louisville Magic Club) had him on Monday and his lecture is GREAT! His mentalism routines are top-notch and fairly simple to preform. I would recommend him any day!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-04-30 13:38, First Class Magician wrote:
As I stated before we had Chuck Hickok Lecture for us last night. The lecture was very well attended and Chuck delivered a TOP NOTCH Mentalism Lecture that anyone can perform. He starts out with his FULL Show and after that goes into a deep conversation on the methods. All in all it was a very GOOD Lecture. He also had his books for sale and a few of his routines that cannot be found anywhere else for sale except from Chuck. If your club can schedule Chuck I think you will be pleasantly surprised. He is a great lecturer.

Rodney

P.S. if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

I was there too. I want to second everything that was mentioned.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
436 Posts

Profile of daver
Saw Chuck lecture at the IBM convention in Miami a couple of years ago; very good lecture. Usable effects taught, went into a lot of insight into his philosophy in performing, and told many personal anecdotes that can help motivate and inspire young as well as older magii.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
I have seen Chuck Hickok lecture twice and the only thing I have add is that his lecture is particularly good for magicians who are starting out in mentalism or considering a mental act. He talks about some foundational principles for presenting mental effects that are known by mentalists, but are often just assumed in other lectures and not explained. It's like going to a card lecture and getting an explanation of how to do an Elmsley Ghost Count from an expert. The newbies appreciate the info, and the experienced pros appreciate the subtle touches that make up the RIGHT way to do it and WHY.
That's Chuck Hickok, in a nutshell. Highly recommended.
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1150 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I loved his lecture and also his books.

He was very well received in Chicago.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan