The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Soda Straw (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I am sure there are other places on the webg I could ask this question but I figured I would start with people I know.

Let's say you have an idea for a use for a soda straw that has never been done. Something that there is as market for but the soda straw manufacturers have not marketed this way, ever. How does one go about marketing a new idea for a product that already exists? That is with out the supplier just taking the idea and leaving you out in the cold. Is there a way? How do you go about it?

Kindest regards,
Ted
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Patent your idea first! Look in your local phone book for a Patent Attorney. They can help you with that part of things.

Mark.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I don't think its something that can be patented its just a different marketing idea for something that's already out there.I have no clue how to do that.

Good Luck...because I think LUCK it what its going to take.

Don
don_p
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of don_p
Well first I'd would take a look at fusigi they market something that was already out. Contact juggling they just change the appearance of the ball but its still a ball. What you have is an idea. That can be patented. Nike did that (just do it).
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
After more research I understand it falls into "Intellectual Property" and can be done with a Patent Attorney or by mailing yourself a letter with the info. Of course the lawyer way is stronger in court and the best way but of course costs money. Thanks for the ideas folks! I appreciate it very much. Now, as Don pointed out, it's down to luck.....
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
I was gonna register a trade name. I asked my patent attorney about sending a letter to myself with the info, as you suggested. He told me, "It will be good, in that, if you set the letter and envelope on fire, they will give off heat. Otherwise, doing that has NO value." I had to register the name with the State. I think I'd talk to an attorney before I sent the letter. Save 42 cents! Smile

Jon
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
The letter idea was written up by Annemann many years ago and called I believe the poor mans copywrite. Times have changed since doing that was valid.