The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Just wanted to say Thanks! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pslaughter
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of pslaughter
Hey guys,

I just wanted to tell all of you how much I appreciate this forum and all you guys contribute. Being a newbie, I don't really know what I'm doing, and it would take me literally years to discover all the info that is on this forum.

I also can't believe how nice you guys are. A number of you have taken the time to send me a message or email with some advice.

Most particularly I want to thank /sam. He is helping me with designing my banners and they are AWESOME! Along with all the other info...Thanks Sam!
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
No problem Patrick!

If anyone else is need of banners I will be posting some probably on my Picasa account were I will make the digital files available to pitchman at no charge - you can go to your favorite sign person to get them printed - watch the Step Right Up forum for info on downloading.

Thanks to Don Driver, Seth B., Rod Pringle and Jon-O the great for encouraging the spirit of giving around here - to quote an S. David Walker story:

"One day when your on top - and you will be...someone might come to you and ask for help - you take the time to help them - that's how you can repay me."

Micky McDougal telling S. David Walker how he could repay him for teaching him the Svengali pitch - quoted from the the Gospel of Svengali video by SDW

take care guys and have a great Christmas!
./sam
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I have heard David tell that story many times.Everytime he tells it he get emotional and fights to hold back a tear.

I promise back in the day none of us thought for a second that pitching would ever get this big.Its most amazing when I think back on it all...most amazing.

Thanks guys...

Don
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
"Thanks to Don Driver, Seth B., Rod Pringle and Jon-O the great for encouraging the spirit of giving around here "

All I can do is second that.
They have all helped me to learn and for that I am grateful.
Kim
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
The Svengali Pitch seems so simple -- until you actually try to do it! There is much to learn, and some of it can only be acquired the hard way, by experience.

I figure that I learned about 70% of what I know from Don Driver, his Svengali Pitch video, and his excellent "tech support" after the sale. The rest I got from doing the pitch over and over, gradually learning what worked and what didn't. I'm still polishing it and tweaking it here and there, sometimes adding some new bits of business, but always remembering that "if it isn't broken, don't fix it." Ditto for the Magic Worm pitch, which I learned from Don and from Pete at his now-defunct Magic Fuzzle business.

I knew I was getting better, as my grosses began to get bigger and bigger. When I first started out, $150 a day seemed amazing to me. Then it got to be $200 a day, $300 a day, then $500 a day, and even $750+ a day on several occasions. It was always the same basic pitch, but I just got better at picking good locations, and at drawing and turning the tips. I believe anyone can do the same thing if they follow Don's script, use their brain and are willing to hustle a bit.

So THANK YOU, Don, for helping to make all of this possible. Let's give credit where credit is due! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Thanks Seth I appreciate all the kind words.But the two things you said that makes a good pitchman were:

1- "The rest I got from doing the pitch over and over"
2- "Use their brain and are willing to hustle a bit" (and its more than just a bit)

Thoses are two of the most important things you have to do to be a successful in any business,especially the "pitch business".

Thanks again...
Don
sideshowsam
View Profile
New user
I see you staring at my
86 Posts

Profile of sideshowsam
Hi Everyone,

After I quoted that story of S. David Walker - I contacted him and asked his permission to post a clip from his video of him telling that story - he said "please do I'm sure the guys will enjoy it". The video link is here http://youtu.be/OUGkf25DOk0 please go check it out and leave comments - maybe David will get a chance to see them.

If you can find a copy of David's video "The Gospel of the Svengali" it is a great insight into the pitch and is a great supplement to Don's excellent video.

Again I want to say thanks to everyone for all you do for this community - have a GREAT Christmas.

./sam
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
WOW...thanks Sam.Its been awhile since I watched that.

Later,Don
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
I’ve said on here several times that even tho I practiced the pitch HUNDREDS of times in front of the TV (with Don’s video playing) prior to actually ATTEMPTING to sell ANY, that my wife picked it up almost instantly and chided me for being so… er, slow. (Spelled S-T-U-P-I-D!)

And that even tho I’d pitched wire strippers for over 15 years prior to attempting Svengalis, and even tho I’d bought 2 gross of the things, I was almost too shy to actually PITCH them. And that when I FINALLY got up the nerve to actually show my TERRIBLE demo, I sold 2 to the 1st guy I pitched. (He didn’t know I was a DUD!)

But last weekend, at the gun show here in San Antonio, I did $400 in cards, actually more than I did in strippers! I know that $400 is not a lot for most guys (especially Seth!) but for me, 4 years after I started, $400 is pretty good.

I know! I know! All you guys are pitching worms and cleaning up. And, I KNOW, I’ve been promising to do them for about a year. Well, I’m gonna do ‘em, one of these days. But I DO thank Don and Seth and even David Walker, whom I met at a show in Dallas recently--all the guys who not only gave me advice but also ENCOURAGEMENT over these past years. Without becoming maudlin, I REALLY COULDN’T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU!

And MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Jon
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hey Jon, I'll take a $400 day any day! Of course, there are guys like Alex who are running rings around me at State Fairs, but my feeling is that any day you can make your nut and a few extra bucks, you're doing great.

And when you finally do add the worm to your repertoire, I think you'll find that you will sell even more Svengali Decks, because of the way the worm can help you build a tip.

Happy Holidays to all. SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I wasn't thinking when I put out the Svengali video.Instead os just selling it out right I should have asked for 5% of all future sales...lets see Jon at $400 a day...Seth at ..whos knows a day...oh and Alex...CHA-CHING !

Later,Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Oh great, another ding! <grin> Get in line!! Smile

But Don, just think of all the "Svengali seeds" you've planted, and how many have actually grown. I'm sure it's been very satisfying for you, something that money can't buy. SETH
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Quote:
On 2010-11-29 11:50, sethb wrote:
Oh great, another ding! <grin> Get in line!! Smile

But Don, just think of all the "Svengali seeds" you've planted, and how many have actually grown. I'm sure it's been very satisfying for you, something that money can't buy. SETH

Seth,I do think this way.When I'm long gone I'll still be teaching the Svengali pitch.You had to mention MONEY didn't you...you know this way of thinking (something that money can't buy)isn't a true pitchmans way of thinking. GTFM ...

Lter,Don
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hey Guys!

Thanks for the kind words! I have sure met some nice folks here on the Café' Happy Holidays to all.

ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Don, I was just giving you a gentle poke in the ribs . . .

On one hand, money isn't everything. On the other hand, while money may not be in "First Place," it's probably ahead of whatever is in "Second Place," as the old saying goes. Although we are out there to spread some cheer and some fun, I agree that we aren't standing on our feet for 7+ hours straight for our health -- we do expect to make a few bucks in the process!

But I am also of the opinion that every kid who ever bought a Svengali Deck, a Magic Worm, a Coin Slide or a Money Paddle from me got his/her money's worth, even if they eventually ended up in a recycling bin (the tricks, not the kids). I know because when I return to many of my spots year after year, the parents come back to buy more tricks for their kids, and they tell me how much fun the kids had with them. You can't buy those kinds of compliments, either.

OK, enough rambling for now -- it must be the holiday eggnog! SETH
Jon-O the Great
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Jon-O the Great
Y'know, it IS kinda funny. I do mostly the same shows almost every month, particularly gun shows (They're cheap!) and recently kids and moms (who have already bought the cards) have come back and asked, "What other tricks do you have?"

My standad retort is "I'm not a magician, I just sell cards." It looks like I'm gonna HAVE to learn those darn worms, just to stay in biz! So I STILL won't be a Magic Shop, I'll just be the cards/worms/strippers guy!

But Don, do I have to send you that 5% on strippers, too? Maybe instead of a "pre-nup" we need to sign a "pre-sven" agreement. Smile

Jon