The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Keeping knots in Kevlar IT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2735 Posts

Profile of sethb
The Kevlar IT that I'm using to demo Magic Worms is working out very well -- it's significantly stronger than plain IT and is just about as invisible.

The only problem I've encountered is that it is a bit slippery. That's a plus when running the gimmick over and around your hands or between your fingers. But it can cause a problem with knots, because the IT simply slips apart.

I had been tying the worms with a simple overhand knot, repeated once. That was fine for regular IT, but I have had a couple of those knots just slide apart when tied with the Kevlar.

So I now use a double overhand knot (putting the end of the thread through the loop twice instead of once), and repeat it once. This seems to have solved the slipping problem. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Picard_1114
View Profile
New user
New York
76 Posts

Profile of Picard_1114
You have invented the surgeon's knot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgeon%27s_knot
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2735 Posts

Profile of sethb
Hmmmm, I wish that was true! I was just trying to figure out how to keep the thread from slipping, and figured that an extra twist was better than just one!

Thanks for the photo and the link, which is quite neat. Never having been a Boy Scout, I never had to learn any of this stuff. I'm lucky if I can just keep my shoelaces from becoming untied. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC