The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: New pitch DVD set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
So how come nobody has mentioned this new 3-disc DVD set from Whit Haydn?

It does look interesting. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
I didn't know this was around... thanks for the link.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Here's a link with extracts from the DVD set...

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea......58189207

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hey Thanks for the link!!!!

I had no idea this great DVD set was out there. Got to have it!!!!!

Magicman97

ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Don't delay, operators are standing by to take your call! Smile SETH
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hi Seth:

ONE SOLD OVER HERE...ANOTHER OVER HERE...WHO BOUGHT THIS RAISE YOUR HAND?? HAHAHA

Seth, what is the latest on Don Driver??? How is he doing have you heard?

ROD
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Don was due to be released from the hospital yesterday after they put a stent in. I have not talked to him so I'm not sure if it all went according to plan.

But if he was able to avoid full-scale bypass surgery, that would be a good thing. SETH
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I spoke to him yesterday, and he's a bit weak, hoping to get home in the next day or two. He sure picked the right place to have a heart attack. He reckons that if he'd had it at home, he'd have been a goner.

Interesting that he only quit smoking a few days before the incident.

He sounded ok about things, and I expect he'll just get on with things again when he's rested. Most folk usually feel the benefits after treatment for a heart attack - I sure hope he does.

Regards,

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
Hello Seth and DCB:

Thanks for the update on Don. Yes, He will be weak for quite a while. Having the heart attack in the hospital sure saved him! Lets hope he gets home and on the mend soon. Thanks again guys!

Magicman97

ROD
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I don't really check this forum too often, but I was shocked to read that Don was hospitalized. I'll be giving him a call later today. Hope all is well with him.
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I'm back home and feeling good.Thanks for all the well wishes and calls.

Don
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I have had a chance to look at this new DVD set, and while I'm not unhappy with my purchase, I will say that I'm not overwhelmed by it, either.

It consists of about ten experienced pitchmen and women explaining how they got into the pitch business, what they feel are the most important aspects of pitching, and a number of humorous incidents that happened to them over the years.

The speakers have an obvious love of pitching and it shows in their presentations. I also learned a lot about how to speak, just from seeing how they talked -- slowly, with effective pauses, very clear enunciation, and changes in volume and pitch, to hold the audience's interest.

While the material is interesting and the "jackpotting" (war stories) is fun, there isn't a heck of a lot in the way of specifics. So I don't think this DVD would be that useful for someone who is just beginning and wants to learn about pitching.

In my opinion, anyone who wants to learn the real basics of setting up a spot, attracting a tip, doing a pitch and making the turn (asking for the money) would do a lot better by buying Don Driver's "Svengali Pitch" DVD. Same price ($35), much more detailed pitch info, technique and psychology.

But wait, there's more! Smile With Don's DVD, you also get a template for the Two-Card Monte sleeves, a word-for-word description of the Svengali Pitch (complete with corny jokes) and a bonus primer on the Magic Worm pitch, which is a great way to build a big tip very quickly.

So it depends what you want, each DVD is really for a very different purpose. SETH
Zed
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Zed
I've got the three dvd set from Whit Haydn. I've enjoyed watching it many times. I had hoped it would give me some specific information on how to do a "gadget pitch".

It is my understanding that a "demonstration" is different than a "pitch". The point being that a "pitch" will generate more $$$. On the dvd's several speakers mentioned that there are not many true "pitchmen" working, but there are lots of "demonstrators", yet other than a few pointers on the dvd's not much information was given on a actual pitch.

So, does anyone have any ideas as to how I might learn this almost "lost art".

I know Don Driver puts out a excellent video on pitching the Svengali cards. Is that translateable into pitching gadgets?

If anyone can direct me to any books, videos, web sites, audio tapes or anyone I might follow around to learn how to "pitch" gadgets (kitchen stuff) I will be eternally grateful.

Thanks,
C'ya,
Zed
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Zeb,

Once you learn how to pitch one product you can pitch anything.So my DVD will help.

There was a small book out back in the 60's called "The complete pitchman" by Don Boles.It has every pitch you could think of in it word for word.They are out of print and now go for $100 or more.They show up on ebay from time to time.

Also this DVD is very good. http://www.pitchpeople.com/products.htm
Its also like the one Whit put out.As a matter of fact some of the same pitchman are in both DVD's.The big head on the cover of pitch people is Arnold Morris the same guy in the wheelchair in Whits DVD.

Other than that there isn't much out there.You could just go to work for U.S. Jesco.They hire and train.Jay Spalding ownes US Jesco.If you decideto do that,tell him I sent you.

http://www.usjesco.com/mastercut2-knives.aspx

Hope this helped.
Don
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The idea behind School for Scoundrels DVDs like the Senior Pitchmen's Reunion and A Scoundrels Weekend with Doc Jon is to give the student the sort of primary experiences that most people don't get to enjoy and learn from.

Chef Anton and I, and many of the people who write on these topics have spent years learning what we know from talking to, and confidencing with, the actual guys who played monte, sold Svengalis, cheated people at Dice and so on.

We wanted to put out some videos that enabled others to learn the way we did, not just by having everything spoonfed to them.

This is your chance to spend nearly four hours with 17 of the top pitchman of the last fifty years. Where else would you get an opportunity like that? We certainly couldn't afford to bring these people together for something like this. We were lucky enough to be invited to video the first and so far only national get together of pitchmen from England, Canada, Australia and the United States over 60 years old. There is a wealth of information packed in these DVDs that would be invaluable to anyone who is interested in these subjects.

The same for the Doc Jon DVD.

If you want everything all worked out for you, analyzed, cleaned up, and tied with a bow--go to the amateur oriented Internet stores that do this for you. This is the way of the dilletante who just wants to know enough to be able to impress those who know a little less.

If you are a serious student, then you will jump at the chance to learn from the real guys, whether they intend to teach you or not.

"The speakers have an obvious love of pitching and it shows in their presentations. I also learned a lot about how to speak, just from seeing how they talked -- slowly, with effective pauses, very clear enunciation, and changes in volume and pitch, to hold the audience's interest.

While the material is interesting and the "jackpotting" (war stories) is fun, there isn't a heck of a lot in the way of specifics. So I don't think this DVD would be that useful for someone who is just beginning and wants to learn about pitching." --SethB

I think that what you say you learned is probably worth more than you realize, Seth. There is a lot of other truly valuable stuff to pick up in the exact same way.

Don's DVD is a huge help on specifics, but you should not pass up the chance to listen to what he has to say on the panel with Jerry Spalding and S. David Walker.

I think people would be very surprised to find out the kind of successes that many of the people on the Senior Pitchmen's DVD have had. If you don't know who these guys are, you may not really know how valuable a few minutes of their time can be...
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Actually, Whit, what you say is quite true. After watching the "Senior Pitchmen's Reunion DVD," I made a conscious effort to slow down my speech tempo even further. I had already followed Gazzo's advice about slowing down "twice as much as you think you need to, which will probably still be too fast."

But I also found that the slower I talked, the more intently people listened! It is really unbelievable, it almost becomes hypnotic or something. Going slower also gives you more opportunities for dramatic inflection, too. I guess part of the answer is that even though I know the Sven Pitch and the Worm Pitch by heart and could recite them in my sleep, the specs have NEVER heard it before, and they need time to fully absorb what I am telling them. Furthermore, the whole scenario is probably complicated by the fact that I'm pitching magic tricks, not kitchen gadgets. So the specs are trying to figure out how the heck the trick works at the same time they are trying to decide if they want to buy it or not. That's a lot for them to process in five minutes!

A side benefit is that when a good magic trick is performed slowly, it becomes even more mysterious, because people think they have seen everything fair and square, and there's no way you could "get away" with anything -- but of course you do anyway!

So I agree, I did get my $40 worth, and it has resulted in bigger tips, better turns and fatter pockets at the end of the day. But I also agree that it's an advanced course, you would still need to start out with a good DL and learn the basic pitch first. This DVD set is the icing on the cake -- and it's pretty tasty icing! Now I'm going to go back and watch it again, I'm sure there are some other good tidbits I missed the first time. SETH