The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Working Venice Beach, CA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
I've been talking on the outside for The VENICE BEACH FREAKSHOW for 7 hours a day for 2 1/2 weeks straight! Some days the pitch works INCREDIBLE...some days ok... anyone got experience working sideshows?
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
T-Ray,
Are you working off a bally stage or just on the ground? Can you use a P.A. set outside? Are you bring performers outside to show off ? Do you have Banners up? (side show banners showing all the acts,called a banner line)

Lots of things to think about.Let me know and I can help you better.
Later, Don
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
We're above the ground about 3 ft. I have a circus style ticket box with circus letters that say Venice Beach Freakshow. I have one long banner that just says SEE THE FREAKS OF NATURE INSIDE. I have a PA and I plan to have some performers outside just to draw a crowd, but mainly on weekends. It's basically a freak animal grind show (2 headed cow, 2 headed raccoon, chupacabra, shrunken heads, monsters of the deep, etc.) We have another banner/sign with the name on it above the doors. There are 2 curtains that you have to walk through and they have huge question marks on them and the doors have big arrows pointing in towards the curtains. I'm working on a 6 ft. a-frame sign that will show all the main attractions, but the local cops are !@#$%ing about it being on the boardwalk. So, it's mainly my quick pitch that has to catch the people's attention AND sell them fast. I'm slowly getting it together and figuring out what works, but any help is more than welcomed!
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
Hello again T-Ray,

Three feet high is good for a bally stage and your banners also sound great.

Now you going to think I'm crazy but get a turbin and a old sword.Stand on the bally stage hold the sword in the air and keep saying "WATCH...WATCH...this is going to be good...WATCH...We'll going to do it right now...WATCH !

Keep saying that over and over.You can even hold the sword up like your getting ready to swallow it...but of course never do.

I hate to be a self promoter but here goes.My "Building a Tip" DVD would help you as well. You can see a clip from it at http://www.magicpitch.com just scrool down to it.

I can't put up my site because of rules here but its at the bottom of this page.You can read all the reviews there.

I hope to be going to L.A. this summer to visit the Castle and some friends.If I make it,I'll be sure to stop by and... "build you a tip or two"

All the best to you with this show.Please do let me know how it goes.

Happy New Year !

Later,Don
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
Man...I'm doing great in Venice. We've been having lines waiting to get in. I think my pitch is shaping up well. I'm going to get a copy of your dvd to check it out.