The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Balloon Kit Pitch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Buster Balloon
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Buster Balloon
Has anyone ever tried pitching balloon kits or know if there is any material on the subject? And if so, do you know of a source for cheap balloon kits?
Buster Balloon
Creative Genius, Balloon Twisting Savant, & Pre-Sweetened Breakfast Cereal Connoisseur
http://BusterBalloon.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2479 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
You make 'em yourself - ziploc bag, a dozen or so 260Es, and a little sheet outlining how to make a couple of simple figures, maybe add a reference to "where to learn more." If you want to streeeeetch your performing material, sell the kits and then guide the buyers in a group through a doggie/rabbit/giraffe.

There should be more info and maybe some line drawings you could use at http://www.balloonhq.com/
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1783 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Surely you'd have to sell 'em a cheap pump as well? I can't blow those buggers up myself, let alone ask anyone else to!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I agree. Make the kits yourself and add a pump to it, just as Ross and Ross suggested.

Simple enough to create and easy enough to sell. Just make sure to show them how "easy" it is to get started with balloons and twist something. A basic dog should do it.

Mark.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2479 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The 260E is lightweight and fairly easy to blow - also easy to pop. The 260Q is heavier - I usedta be able to blow 'em by mouth but not many people could - since my stroke I can't (it takes more fine control of facial muscles than I understood before, and I just barely don't have enough)

You can stand there and pitch kits, or in some arrangements when working a paid show, you can hand out some free blown-up balloons, teach them to make a dog or sword or whatever, and the kits pactically sell themselves.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I'd quite forgooten about the lightweight 260s. Tried some a long time ago but they break too easily. Normal 260s are fine and blow quite easily - provided they are Qualitx. I tried another make a few weeks ago and they wouldn't blow by mouth.

I only blow a few but if you work regularly you should use a pump for your health's sake. Over here - and probably with you too - there is concern that the powder found inside some balloons can cause serious lung problems. Interestingly there seems to be less powder around these days but you can still see traces inside, specially the dark colours.

You need to blow from the diaphram - singing lessions will help your control. The facial muscles are important too so try some lessions from a wind instrument teacher - brass for preference!

Best of all get a pump - and a spare, kept in the case, just in case!!
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
GraytScot
View Profile
New user
Dark side
18 Posts

Profile of GraytScot
Great Idea
It would be nice add on sale for balloon workers to
Professional Reality Bender
vanishingrabbit
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of vanishingrabbit
Nice
Magically yours,
Brent Smith
Rev.moonchild
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, Pa.
173 Posts

Profile of Rev.moonchild
They sell little kits with a pump at the Dollar store..
Follow the spirits of the wind and you will find your voice
<BR> Rev. Moonchild
<BR>
<BR>www.magicalelixer.com
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
The is a balloon pitch book, I have it laying around here someplace
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
I think Tommy Windsor had a book on the balloon pitch (probably have it in my stuff somewhere) and there's also a book on Balloon Busking in my files which is not pitching per se', but still interesting to the balloon worker.

All the best,
John
Sleeveless
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Sleeveless
When I worked at Market Magic in Seattle back in the late 70s we had a cardboard cut out of Steve Martin. His comedy album had recently come out and this was discarded from a record shop. We stapled bags of balloons and simple instructions to ol' Steve. He sold a lot of balloons for the shop back then. We also put an arrow thru head on his head and he sold a lot of those, too. I don't suppose it would work as well today.
Majestic12
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
643 Posts

Profile of Majestic12
Quote:
On 2007-06-03 18:43, Sleeveless wrote:
When I worked at Market Magic in Seattle back in the late 70s we had a cardboard cut out of Steve Martin. His comedy album had recently come out and this was discarded from a record shop. We stapled bags of balloons and simple instructions to ol' Steve. He sold a lot of balloons for the shop back then. We also put an arrow thru head on his head and he sold a lot of those, too. I don't suppose it would work as well today.

You could get Chris Farley or some other fat guy, this way you can put a whole lot more stock up Smile